From: Andrew Wilson on

"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 24, 1:14 pm, "Andrew Wilson"
<and...(a)thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> "Andrew Wilson" <and...(a)thefatcontroller.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> > "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >> You can use multiple mice and keyboards on a system at the same time.
> >> Wired/wireless doesn't matter.
>
> >> Now - how your wireless mouse/keyboard combo works if part of it is
> >> disabled (batteries removed) - no idea. Wouldn't think it would make
> >> any
> >> difference, but that is a hardware issue.
>
> >> Shutdown, disconnect all keyboards/mice from the computer. Hook up JUST
> >> the new keyboard. Power on and get into the BIOS (if you can) with the
> >> new keyboard. If that works, power off, hook up a different mouse (USB
> >> is fine - just not the one from the wireless combo) and power on/boot
> >> into Windows. Wait about 5 minutes after it gets up before doing
> >> anything - giving it time to locate/install drivers. Does that work?
>
> >> Now - plug in the wireless keyboard/mouse combo (leaving everything
> >> else
> >> plugged in) with all of its batteries back in place. Wait a few
> >> minutes - does that work?
>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> > Shenan
> > Many thanks for your help.
> > I tried the steps that you gave but failed with a 'USB device not
> > recognised' on every port that I plugged the new keyboard into.
> > I have also uninstalled the Trust keyboard and mouse, added a serial
> > mouse
> > and tried again but get the 'USB device not recognised' again when I
> > plug
> > the new keyboard in.
> > I know the keyboard works because I have tried it on my system with no
> > problem.
> > Could I possibly uninstall the USB ports and will the computer reinstall
> > the software for these or does it look like a more profound problem?
> > Many thanks
> > aw56001
>
> Shenan
> I have since deleted 'Unknown Device' from the USB part of Device Manager,
> rebooted and on reboot a prompt has appeared 'USB Found new hardware' (new
> USB Keyboard I presume?) but another prompt then appears 'USB Unknown
> Device'. On checking Device Manager 'Keyboard' isn't even listed.
> If I delete the 'Unknown Device' from the USB part of Device Manager and
> reboot I just go round in circles.
> Many thanks
> aw56001

The previous wireless keyboard / mouse combo could conflict with the
newer USB keyboard. If the Trust keyboard / mouse had their own
enhanced drivers installed should be uninstalled.

smlunatick
Thanks for your input.
There were no enhanced drivers for the Trust combo. It was a case of
plugging the receiver in and letting Windows do the rest. I must admit I'm
stumped how installing a USB keyboard can be so difficult when I've
uninstalled the Trust combo.
Regards
Andrew