From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-30 05:48:38 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:13:11 -0400, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

>>> Provide proof they lost money.
>>>
>>> -Wolfgang
>>
>> http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/history.html
>>
>> "Garish or not, the '58 Corvette was a hit and Chevy built 9,168
>> examples. For the first time, say some sources, GM made a profit with
>> the Corvette."
>>
>> http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Corvette/156760
>>
>> "The Chevrolet Corvette is GM�s highest quality car, costs more than
>> $50,000, and has a very small margin of profit. With such a large
>> financial loss in 2007, GM can no longer afford the small profit margin
>> and declining sales on such a high priced product."
>>

>> Yeah that sounds like a big profit item for chevy.. *rolls eyes*
>>
> Your claim was that Corvette was not a profitable car in the 50s and
> 60s. You support this claim by citing information about the small
> amount of profit outlook in 2008. You do understand that there have
> been some changes in the marketplace in 40 years, don't you?

Not only that, oppapers.com is hardly an authoritative automotive
industry analytical publication. It is a commercial source for term
papers for pseudo-students. Calling the Corvette "GM's highest quality
car" speaks to an ignorance of the Corvette and GM Divisions.
The Corvette has never been a mass market car. There are few automotive
products which become profitable during their launch years. The 1953
Harley Earl Corvette prototype was a concept show car, and due to
response was brought to production within 6 months. Sales were always
limited. Throughout the '50s it was always a niche market car, as it is
today. Given the limited production and sales 1958 seems about right
for the 'vette to start being profitable.

The Corvette in its many versions through its development remains a
desired niche market, American performance car with limited production.
That limited production has brought high prices and good profit margins
for the entire line over the last 25 years, regardless of the vagaries
of the economy.
GM has benefitted by using the Corvette developed engines in other
models such as Cadillacs and Camaros.

As far as being GM's "highest quality car" the Cadillac Division would
probably argue the point. (with the exception of the 4-6-8) Their
higher production figures allow them to bring a better "quality"
vehicle to the market at a lower price point than the Corvette. They
can even make claims of having a great luxury performance sedan in the
CTS-V, which uses the Corvette C6 ZR1 LS9 based LSA engine.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Neil Harrington on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hopd1e$c82$1(a)news.albasani.net...
> Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Again: What on earth makes you think a Corvette is "a money losing
>> product"? Some Corvettes sell for over $100,000 and yes, they do sell
>> them at those prices. And no, a Corvette isn't "a marketing tool just
>> like a loss leader."
>
> In the 50's/60's a corvette was NOT a profitable car, it was to sell their
> other products.

What makes you think the Corvette was not profitable in ANY period? It has
remained in continuous production and evolved dramatically over the years.
The original '53 Corvette was a sort of stylish pretend sports car, powered
by a modified version of the "stovebolt" OHV straight six that Chevrolet had
been making since 1929, and was nothing like what it developed into later --
but it always made money for the company. It's fairly safe to say that no
company makes a production model for over half a century without making
money on it.

> The same for those Acura NSX and the toyota Supra. Those were all to show
> their engineering expertise not to make money selling that specific model.

I'm only slightly familiar with the Supra and not at all with the NSX, but
generally speaking all production cars are built with the expectation of
making money. Certainly the models that remain in production for many years
(as the Supra has) must make money.

The "concept cars" built for auto shows are a different matter, of course. I
think you're confusing concept cars with performance cars.

From: Neil Harrington on

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote in message

> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>> Your claim was that Corvette was not a profitable car in the 50s and
>> 60s. You support this claim by citing information about the small
>> amount of profit outlook in 2008. You do understand that there have
>> been some changes in the marketplace in 40 years, don't you?
>
> You do understand that you are arguing with a table, don't you?

<chuckle>

From: Neil Harrington on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hos8ag$avq$1(a)news.albasani.net...
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> stephe_k(a)yahoo.com <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In the 50's/60's a corvette was NOT a profitable car, it was to sell
>>> their other products. The same for those Acura NSX and the toyota Supra.
>>> Those were all to show their engineering expertise not to make money
>>> selling that specific model.
>>
>> Provide proof they lost money.
>>
>> -Wolfgang
>
> http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/history.html
>
> "Garish or not, the '58 Corvette was a hit and Chevy built 9,168 examples.
> For the first time, say some sources, GM made a profit with the Corvette."

So much for your claim that it was NOT profitable in the '50s and '60s.

Obviously the Corvette by its very nature would never compete with four-door
sedans in terms of number of units sold. No one ever came into a Chevy
dealer wondering, "Let's see, should I buy a Malibu or a Corvette?" And of
course it takes a large number of cars sold for the manufacturer to recover
the costs of design, engineering, tooling etc. -- only after that number
does the car become profitable.

> http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Corvette/156760
>
> "The Chevrolet Corvette is GM�s highest quality car, costs more than
> $50,000, and has a very small margin of profit. With such a large
> financial loss in 2007, GM can no longer afford the small profit margin
> and declining sales on such a high priced product."
>

> Yeah that sounds like a big profit item for chevy.. *rolls eyes*

When did "BIG profit item" suddenly become the only alternative to your
claim it "was NOT a profitable car"?

From: Neil Harrington on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hos7le$9ia$1(a)news.albasani.net...
> tony cooper wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 01:06:33 -0400, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
>> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> That's all I was saying..
>>
>> And this is worthy of comment?
>

> Well when the other people here started saying that the engineering
> department is the people who decided these things, I thought someone
> should point out that isn't the case. And that when they start DISABLING
> features on the lower level models to entice consumers to step up to the
> next model in the range, that doesn't sound like the engineering
> department either.

I recently added a new Nikon D3000 to my collection. While I like the
camera, I think I would rather it were a D3X, or at least a D300s. Please
tell me how I can ENABLE the features to make it so. Thank you in advance.