From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-26 14:47:38 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:07:47 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-26 11:27:40 -0700, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:
>>
>>> In message <jdqpq5hbci9cu5ni5h4m4ic44qsidloh7p(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>> It is a "market" with one customer....
>>
>> ...and there is a massive industry made up of many suppliers feeding
>> off that single customer, and its sub-agencies such as JPL.
>
> None of this addresses the question of "Is there a market for space
> shuttles?"
>
> NASA is a market for many products from many suppliers. It is not a
> market for space shuttles.

Agreed.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-26 14:56:24 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:01:05 -0400, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> tony cooper wrote:
>>

>>> However, this part of the thread pertains to the ridiculous claim that
>>> NASA constitutes a market for space shuttles. NASA does not shop for
>>> space shuttles.
>>>

>> Which has no relevance whatsoever into the discussion of why a
>> manufacturer would DISABLE hardware that already exists in a cheaper
>> model in their lineup. To even insinuate that anyone other than the
>> marketing people would do this is silly!
>
> Thread subjects are not cast in concrete. Any point of a discussion
> can be addressed. What I'm addressing is the ludicrous example of
> there being a market for space shuttles.

There is so little market for space shuttles, there will be no more as
we know them.
There will certainly be other vehicles for NASA and agencies of other
nations, for payload and personnel delivery, but the market for space
shuttles is nonexistent.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Neil Harrington on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hoj778$fg6$1(a)news.albasani.net...
> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>> stephe_k(a)yahoo.com <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> You think the engineers are the ones who decided to continue production
>>> of a loss leader product? Of COURSE it was the marketing people who had
>>> this production continued,
>>
>> Apart from the fact that that's not a loss leader product, I
>> must assume your "marketing people" include every CEO and member
>> of the board --- for no mere marketing person has the power to
>> decide company strategy.
>
> I wrongly assumed people here would understand my point was: that this is
> a money losing product to get people into the store. Like like a super
> fancy car (corvette, NSX etc)gets people into the showroom to then sell
> them a midrange sedan.

You still don't seem to understand what "loss leader" means. The Ektra
certainly was never sold as a loss leader and neither is the Corvette.

> And you don't think the marketing department has any input on a companies
> marketing strategy? O.o
>
> I HIGHLY doubt the engineering staff coerced the management into
> continuing production of a money losing product that was being sold as a
> marketing ploy. Maybe you believe that the engineering department is the
> department that makes recommendations on things like this? I'm not sure
> what company you have worked for that is set up like that, but it isn't
> normally how things are done.
>

>>> The marketing department is who decides or at the very least makes the
>>> recommendations on these sorts of things.
>>
>> Oh, and the engineers just nod when they are (again) being told
>> by marketing to violate the laws of physics, right?
>>

> Did you even bother to read to context of this tread? It was about them
> DISABLING features a lower price camera that already has the capabilities
> of in hardware, to entice the consumer to purchase a more expensive model
> that they have enabled said feature on. Where did you figure this
> "violates the laws of physics" disabling hardware using the firmware? They
> seem to be able to do this quite easily.

You have claimed that those perfidious "marketing people" do this with
DSLRs. Please identify a DSLR "that already has the capabilities [of more
advanced features] in hardware" that has had those features deliberately
"disabled" at the behest of "marketing people."

For example: Nikon's lowest priced DSLR at present is the D3000. Do you
really believe that the D3000 "already has the capabilities of" say a D90, a
D300s or a D3X "in hardware" such that it could become the functional equal
of those more expensive models if only those features were enabled?

From: John McWilliams on
Neil Harrington wrote:
> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:hoj778$fg6$1(a)news.albasani.net...
>> Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
>>> Apart from the fact that that's not a loss leader product, I
>>> must assume your "marketing people" include every CEO and member
>>> of the board --- for no mere marketing person has the power to
>>> decide company strategy.
>> I wrongly assumed people here would understand my point was: that this is
>> a money losing product to get people into the store. Like like a super
>> fancy car (corvette, NSX etc)gets people into the showroom to then sell
>> them a midrange sedan.
>
> You still don't seem to understand what "loss leader" means. The Ektra
> certainly was never sold as a loss leader and neither is the Corvette.
>
>> And you don't think the marketing department has any input on a companies
>> marketing strategy? O.o
>>
>> I HIGHLY doubt the engineering staff coerced the management into
>> continuing production of a money losing product that was being sold as a
>> marketing ploy. Maybe you believe that the engineering department is the
>> department that makes recommendations on things like this? I'm not sure
>> what company you have worked for that is set up like that, but it isn't
>> normally how things are done.

>>> Oh, and the engineers just nod when they are (again) being told
>>> by marketing to violate the laws of physics, right?
>>>
>> Did you even bother to read to context of this tread? It was about them
>> DISABLING features a lower price camera that already has the capabilities
>> of in hardware, to entice the consumer to purchase a more expensive model
>> that they have enabled said feature on. Where did you figure this
>> "violates the laws of physics" disabling hardware using the firmware? They
>> seem to be able to do this quite easily.

Another way to look at this: say the internals of cameras A and B are
the same, and so mfg. costs are reduced with higher volume. The lower
priced camera has some functions curtailed in software, thus enabling
more people to buy the lower priced camera.

> You have claimed that those perfidious "marketing people" do this with
> DSLRs. Please identify a DSLR "that already has the capabilities [of more
> advanced features] in hardware" that has had those features deliberately
> "disabled" at the behest of "marketing people."
>
> For example: Nikon's lowest priced DSLR at present is the D3000. Do you
> really believe that the D3000 "already has the capabilities of" say a D90, a
> D300s or a D3X "in hardware" such that it could become the functional equal
> of those more expensive models if only those features were enabled?

I can personally attest to a hack I used eons ago on my Canon 300 D. It
did a few more things, but didn't turn it into a Mark2...
Now, I don't think I'd bother with any hacks; just not worth the time
and effort.

--
John McWilliams
From: Neil Harrington on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:01:05 -0400, "stephe_k(a)yahoo.com"
> <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>tony cooper wrote:
>>

>>> However, this part of the thread pertains to the ridiculous claim that
>>> NASA constitutes a market for space shuttles. NASA does not shop for
>>> space shuttles.
>>>

>>Which has no relevance whatsoever into the discussion of why a
>>manufacturer would DISABLE hardware that already exists in a cheaper
>>model in their lineup. To even insinuate that anyone other than the
>>marketing people would do this is silly!
>
> Thread subjects are not cast in concrete. Any point of a discussion
> can be addressed. What I'm addressing is the ludicrous example of
> there being a market for space shuttles.

There probably isn't NOW, because the space shuttle as we know it is getting
long in the tooth. But when NASA was *in the market* for space shuttles,
ipso facto that market existed.

Your position seems to be that a market cannot exist if there's only one
customer, i.e. if other countries and/or agencies needed space shuttles then
there would a market for them, but since only NASA bought them no market
existed. I don't see how that logically follows. NASA's being the world's
largest consumer of space shuttles I think makes them a market. If someone
else were able to produce a significantly better, safer and more capable
space shuttle at a much better price, presumably NASA would have bought it,
wouldn't they? Doesn't that in itself make them a market?