From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:18:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>Management. Of course.
>>
>> You seem to think that "management" is a separate function. In
>> actuality, some of the management people and some of the engineering
>> people are in management. Some of the top management will come from
>> the engineering side and some from the marketing side.

>>>That is my point. The space shuttle was not designed for the mass market.
>>>Neither was the $25,000 Kodak DSC. Ergo, there was no particular reason
>>>for
>>>your "marketing people" to be involved.
>>
>> That's a silly example. The shuttle was not designed to be re-sold so
>> there is no "market" involved.
>
>You think Rockwell built it for NASA for free?
>
>How are resellers necessary for a market to exist? Many houses (perhaps
>most) are built to sell directly to the end buyer. Are these not part of the
>housing market?
>
>In the case of space shuttles, NASA is the market, is it not?

No. NASA is contracting with suppliers to furnish components. That
does not fit any definition of "the market". "The market" is the
potential buyers of something offered for sale. The shuttle was never
offered for sale.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: J. Clarke on
On 3/26/2010 9:57 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:18:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"<never(a)home.com>
> wrote:
>

>> "tony cooper"<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> You seem to think that "management" is a separate function. In
>>> actuality, some of the management people and some of the engineering
>>> people are in management. Some of the top management will come from
>>> the engineering side and some from the marketing side.

>>> That's a silly example. The shuttle was not designed to be re-sold so
>>> there is no "market" involved.
>>
>> You think Rockwell built it for NASA for free?
>>
>> How are resellers necessary for a market to exist? Many houses (perhaps
>> most) are built to sell directly to the end buyer. Are these not part of the
>> housing market?
>>
>> In the case of space shuttles, NASA is the market, is it not?
>
> No. NASA is contracting with suppliers to furnish components. That
> does not fit any definition of "the market". "The market" is the
> potential buyers of something offered for sale. The shuttle was never
> offered for sale.

So you're saying that the whole defense industry is not a market?
That's news to the contractors.
From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:20:26 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On 3/26/2010 9:57 AM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:18:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"<never(a)home.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "tony cooper"<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> You think Rockwell built it for NASA for free?
>>>
>>> How are resellers necessary for a market to exist? Many houses (perhaps
>>> most) are built to sell directly to the end buyer. Are these not part of the
>>> housing market?
>>>
>>> In the case of space shuttles, NASA is the market, is it not?
>>
>> No. NASA is contracting with suppliers to furnish components. That
>> does not fit any definition of "the market". "The market" is the
>> potential buyers of something offered for sale. The shuttle was never
>> offered for sale.
>
>So you're saying that the whole defense industry is not a market?
>That's news to the contractors.

The defense industry is a market to firms that supply goods and
services to the defense industry. The military is a market to firms
that produce products used in defense.

However, this part of the thread pertains to the ridiculous claim that
NASA constitutes a market for space shuttles. NASA does not shop for
space shuttles.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <jdqpq5hbci9cu5ni5h4m4ic44qsidloh7p(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:20:26 -0400, "J. Clarke"
><jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>>On 3/26/2010 9:57 AM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> No. NASA is contracting with suppliers to furnish components. That
>>> does not fit any definition of "the market". "The market" is the
>>> potential buyers of something offered for sale. The shuttle was never
>>> offered for sale.
>>
>>So you're saying that the whole defense industry is not a market?
>>That's news to the contractors.
>
>The defense industry is a market to firms that supply goods and
>services to the defense industry. The military is a market to firms
>that produce products used in defense.

And there are many militaries who want goods. In fact several in most
countries.

>However, this part of the thread pertains to the ridiculous claim that
>NASA constitutes a market for space shuttles. NASA does not shop for
>space shuttles.

It is a "market" with one customer....

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
stephe_k(a)yahoo.com <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Prestige was the idea, yes. I doubt the "marketing people" had anything to
>> do with continuing to make the camera year after year while it was losing
>> money.

> You think the engineers are the ones who decided to continue production
> of a loss leader product? Of COURSE it was the marketing people who had
> this production continued,

Apart from the fact that that's not a loss leader product, I
must assume your "marketing people" include every CEO and member
of the board --- for no mere marketing person has the power to
decide company strategy.

> The marketing
> department is who decides or at the very least makes the recommendations
> on these sorts of things.

Oh, and the engineers just nod when they are (again) being told
by marketing to violate the laws of physics, right?

-Wolfgang