From: Chris H on
In message <55o0r5dss7af3t00ga49if9nc2osvqk4k2(a)4ax.com>, Truman
<88132010(a)mailinator.net> writes
>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:52:13 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl(a)gol.com>
>wrote:
>

>>The only problem is when an idiot too cheap to buy a mid-range or pro camera
>>buys a low-end camera and then complains that they didn't get the mid-range
>>features.
>
>The only problem is when an idiot is too stupid to realize that the same
>features could be purchased in the lower priced units if they weren't
>brainwashed into believing you have to pay more to get the same hardware
>with the very same features as already exist in that platform enabled by
>marketing campaigns and the marketing departments.
>
>Are you people really this pathetically stupid and have to go to these
>lengths to retain your bliss of ignorance? Or are you just shills for those
>divisions that get more income by disabling built-in features in the lower
>priced units.
>
>Unit A has features 1 enabled, features 2, 3, 4, and 5 disabled. It costs
>$500.
>
>Unit B has features 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 all enabled even though it has the
>identical software and hardware platform as Unit A. It costs $1500. Minus
>the marketing department's decision to disable those features offered in
>unit A.
>
>But you go ahead. Buy unit B for $1500. Even thought unit A has the very
>same features set, if re-enabled, for only $500.
>
>You buy a vehicle that can go 80 mph. It has the very same engine,
>drive-train, and everything else as another vehicle that can go 120 mps for
>10x's the cost. The only difference is that the marketing department
>decided that to limit the 80 mph vehicle to its performance by changing a
>simple spring on the carburetor. You can buy that replacement spring for
>$0.05. You swap out the spring and bring that 80 mph vehicle's performance
>up to the identical performance as the 120 mph vehicle, for 5-cents
>
>Who's the idiot?

You are.

These days they just load different firmware. There is no hack you can
do. Also they may use the same system but they can leave out some ASICS
and other chips for some functions. So it is nothing like as simple as
you suggest if in deed is is possible to retro fit any of these options.

From: tony cooper on
<davidjl(a)gol.com> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>> No he didn't. The strategy makes sense for the company, adds to the
>> profit of the company, and provides a product to the consumer that the
>> consumer wants and can afford. No fools involved.
>>
>> If Zippo Camera Company can make a camera platform with 20 features
>> built into it, and then make five different cases labeled Z-1, Z-2,
>> Z-3, Z-4, and Z-5, they have five different models at roughly the same
>> cost for each. Some slight differences for the costs of disabling and
>> the fanciness of the cases.
>
>But the cameras really are different.

I understand that. My hypothetical example was to show how the
strategy *could* be implemented to make sense for both customer and
maker.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-29 04:57:50 -0700, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:

> In message <55o0r5dss7af3t00ga49if9nc2osvqk4k2(a)4ax.com>, Truman
> <88132010(a)mailinator.net> writes
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:52:13 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl(a)gol.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> The only problem is when an idiot too cheap to buy a mid-range or pro camera
>>> buys a low-end camera and then complains that they didn't get the mid-range
>>> features.
>>
>> The only problem is when an idiot is too stupid .............
>>
>> Who's the idiot?
>
> You are.
>
> These days they just load different firmware. There is no hack you can
> do. Also they may use the same system but they can leave out some ASICS
> and other chips for some functions. So it is nothing like as simple as
> you suggest if in deed is is possible to retro fit any of these options.

He is actually "he who shall remain unnamed" of sociopathic P&S notoriety.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
stephe_k(a)yahoo.com <stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In the 50's/60's a corvette was NOT a profitable car, it was to sell
> their other products. The same for those Acura NSX and the toyota Supra.
> Those were all to show their engineering expertise not to make money
> selling that specific model.

Provide proof they lost money.

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Truman <88132010(a)mailinator.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:52:13 +0900, "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl(a)gol.com>
> wrote:

>>The only problem is when an idiot too cheap to buy a mid-range or pro camera
>>buys a low-end camera and then complains that they didn't get the mid-range
>>features.

> The only problem is when an idiot is too stupid to realize that the same
> features could be purchased in the lower priced units

No, they *could not*, because the market is willing to pay
more. Only idiots bending on being broke sell their work
under the market price.

> Who's the idiot?

> Got a mirror handy?

Here you are, a mirror just for you.