From: Christopher Muto on
Bob Villa wrote:
> <snip>
> (And Chris, 4550 has USB 2)

good catch.
From: Tom Scales on

You do need the latest BIOS. I believe the LBA support is native to the
latest bios and would be willing to bet that any XP will work. That
said, I'd spend a few bucks for a Dell XP SP2 disk. Slipstreaming will
'break' the Dell ability to not need activation.

From: ChuckP on
"Tom Scales" <tjscales(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]

Thanks for the input Christopher. I had thought about slipstreaming, but
will avoid it. I will look at ordering a current CD from Dell. No rush.. I
can wait for the CD.

Chuck

From: Ben Myers on
On 2/12/2010 9:44 PM, ChuckP wrote:
> "Tom Scales" <tjscales(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

Chuck,

If your 4550 has an XP Pro sticker, you can get and you should get the
Dell XP Pro "reinstallation" CD with Service Pack 3. I got one today
from Dell along with a hard drive to replace a failed on in a client's
Optiplex 330.

Not sure if Dell ever produced SP3 CDs for XP Home. The only ones I've
ever seen have SP2. But an SP3 CD may exist.

It does not hurt to ask for SP3... Ben Myers
From: dg1261 on
Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in news:hl59uo$juf$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Not sure if Dell ever produced SP3 CDs for XP Home. The only
> ones I've ever seen have SP2. But an SP3 CD may exist.

Ben: FTR, I bought a couple Dell Minis with XP Home, and they included XP
Home SP3 CDs, copyright 2009.

Tom: I haven't experienced slipstreaming breaking the Dell ability to not
need activation. Every December I've slipstreamed my installation CDs to
bring them up to date with the year's hotfixes, including SP1 to SP2, and
SP2 to SP3. They still do a clean install fine without requiring
activation. I use the www.hfslip.org method instead of the more popular
nLite, so I don't know if that makes a difference.