From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-09 15:07:19 -0800, Larry Thong <larry_thong(a)shitstring.com> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
>>> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
>>> better options out there that I might have missed.
>>
>> Check on the Colorspace UDMA from Hyperdrive;
>> http://www.hypershop.com/
>
> Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony
> show. I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of
> options and decent storage space in a very small package. You can
> always add cheap external USB storage as well. Trust me, I've got the
> Epson version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the
> one and only time I used it.

I have the 250GB UDMA, and it is easy to carry in a pocket as compared
with even a netbook, downloads are reasonably quick. It is quick and
easy to do incremental backups.

I use it mainly during trips as a travelling backup, soon to be used
extensively when I leave for Africa next week.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-09 17:32:34 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

>>> Check on the Colorspace UDMA from Hyperdrive;
>>> http://www.hypershop.com/
>>
>> Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony
>> show. I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of
>> options and decent storage space in a very small package. You can
>> always add cheap external USB storage as well. Trust me, I've got the
>> Epson version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the
>> one and only time I used it.
>
> I have the 250GB UDMA, and it is easy to carry in a pocket as compared
> with even a netbook, downloads are reasonably quick. It is quick and
> easy to do incremental backups.
>
> I use it mainly during trips as a travelling backup, soon to be used
> extensively when I leave for Africa next week.

BTW it is simple enough to upgrade the drive.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-09 19:13:37 -0800, Shawn Hirn <srhi(a)comcast.net> said:

> In article
> <1fbf45d9-d671-4a77-a353-cb448df0216c(a)r3g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
> BD <robert.drea(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
>> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
>> of time.
>>
>> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
>> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
>> better options out there that I might have missed.
>
> A laptop. You can't beat it for capacity and flexibilty. A netbook might
> be suitable too.

..A laptop can be a squeeze in your pocket. I use a laptop, a Colorspace
UDMA and a Firewire drive for redundant backup.
The Colorspace UDMA is small enough to fit in a pocket, or bag. I
wouldn't want to lug a laptop, or netbook around to every shoot site.
I don't take the Colorspace everywhere. Just as you are not goin to see
most photographers lugging laptops all overthe place. I do not use the
Colorspace as a permanant archive, but as an interim field archive and
backup on travels where having that convenience is reassuring.

I still feel it is one of the best field solutions for backup, Also it
will read CF, MS, MMC & SD cards without missing a beat.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Charles on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

> "BD" <robert.drea(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Wondering if there's any buzz-worthy devices out there for offloading
>> images/movies from a CF UDMA card while 'on the go' for longer periods
>> of time.
>>
>> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
>> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
>> better options out there that I might have missed.
>
> My Dell netbook works well.

Also, you can inexpensively expand a notebook/laptop with:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=western+digital+-+passport&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3169237851&ref=pd_sl_5tybbsmdz7_e

From: BD on
On Nov 9, 3:07 pm, Larry Thong <larry_th...(a)shitstring.com> wrote:
> Savageduck wrote:
> >> I've read about 'digital wallets', I've read about using IPod videos
> >> with a special camera connector... but am wondering if there are other
> >> better options out there that I might have missed.
>
> > Check on the Colorspace UDMA from Hyperdrive;
> >http://www.hypershop.com/
>
> Does things aren't too bad, but $500 for the 500GB makes it a pony show.
>   I would get an ATOM based Netbook that will give you loads of options
> and decent storage space in a very small package.  You can always add
> cheap external USB storage as well.  Trust me, I've got the Epson
> version of this thing and it just sits in the drawer after the one and
> only time I used it.

Wanna sell it?? ;)

Seriously... thanks all, for the feedback. I'm kind of on the fence:
I'm not a laptop-using kind of guy (I have one, and it just gathers
dust), so the small size of the UDMA is appealing. I'm concerned about
the device not keeping up with raw file format changes, that kind of
thing. If I can find a UDMA used, I might consider it - failing that,
I'll watch for good deals on netbooks. It's a bit more than I'd prefer
to carry around, but would probably be useful in other contexts as
well.