From: J�rgen Exner on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>In article <pkaog517v6h6fcq32nrq0v1fjp32u2rq2j(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
><jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -hh <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:
>> >For example, the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is $250 without any
>> >drive...add $50 for a 120GB from NewEgg or $100 for a 500GB as you
>> >see fit...$300 to $350 total.
>>
>> That's way overpriced!
>
>not really.
>
>> Shopping around it is not difficult to find 1TB
>> internal SATA drives for 90$ US and 2TB drives for 180$ US.
>
>shop around for some reading glasses and reread what he wrote. the
>hyperdrive is a portable storage device, so he's talking about *laptop*
>drives, not desktop drives.

Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).
If that is the case, then yes, 2.5" drives are significantly more
expensive than 3.5" drives, indeed.

jue
From: nospam on
In article <i5cog5dfsd9ki477n3dm1vmih809ko4ler(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
> 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).

it wasn't??

> > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size

which desktop drive fits in that space?

> > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
> > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
> > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
> > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
> > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
> > the same envelope.

desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?
From: -hh on
nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Jürgen Exner <jurge...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, it wasn't obvious from the posting that this device requires a
> > 2.5" HD (assuming that's what you mean by laptop drive).
>
> it wasn't??
>
> > > For example, the aforementioned Colorspace is roughly 3"x5"x1" in size
>
> which desktop drive fits in that space?

While I apologize for not being far more explicit, I didn't believe
that it was particularly necessary to do so, since the item of
comparison (an Atom Netbook) doesn't run off of a desktop 3.5" drive
either.

> > > (just over 15 cubic inches), has a transfer rate of 2GB/minute
> > > ("world's fastest"), can transfer 120GB on a single battery
> > > charge...and at 9.5 ounces (270g), it is roughly 1/2 the weight (and
> > > 1/4 the size) of a typical Atom netbook, which means that if you
> > > consider redundency to be a higher priority, you can do that within
> > > the same envelope.
>
> desktop drive on battery power? 270g ?

Since a specific product was named, one could have also tried a quick
Google before challenging. To be helpful, here's the relevant product
page which does explicitly state that it takes a 2.5" SATA:

<http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA-Casing-Only-p/
hdcsu-000.htm>

FWIW, the battery power supply on the old Hyperdrive HD-80 that I have
consists of four (4) AA's ... the new Colorspace has replaced this
with a single 3.7v Li-Ion LG 18650 2600mAh battery.

FYI, it also appears that I erroniously quoted the specifications of
the previous "Colorspace" (not the current "Colorspace UDMA") model,
which results in some minor discrepancies.

Size: I said approx 5x3x1 ... exact values are: 5.25" x 2.95" x
1" (133 x 75 x 26 mm)

Weight: I had said 9.5/270gr...its now 10.5 ounce (298g)

GB transfer per battery charge: I had said 120GB ... its now 250GB.

All in all, its a pretty nice device for when it makes sense to
have. Its real niche is for when you want more capacity than your
[CF] cards alone, while also having weight (and/or power) limitations
that discourage a laptop/netbook type of solution. This isn't
necessarily a common problem, but it isn't an impossible one either:
I've run into it in bush plane flights on three continents.

-hh