From: David J Taylor on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
> is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
> if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
> not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
> this
> method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
> "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
> (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
> Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
> tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
> WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
> later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
> lens cleaning, though...
> --DR

What did you expect from the resident troll?

Like you, I have used this method for decades to clean lenses, and I have
/never/ seen any ill effects. And I'm proud of my lenses, and would
certainly not do anything to damage them. Modern lens coatings are
relatively robust.

Cheers,
David

From: GMAN on
In article <i1sdgo$d7m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> I think the above is a "gross" exaggeration of things since the "acid"
>> is VERY mild, and only VERY temporarily on the lens surface. BTW,
>> if one breathes UP onto the down-facing lens surface, spit, etc. tend
>> not to reach the lens surface, just the fogging moisture. I have used
>> this
>> method successfully for decades to clean lenses. For more difficult
>> "glop" on the lens, I VERY SLIGHTLY moisten a Q-Tip with Windex
>> (a window cleaner), then in turn use that to barely moisten another
>> Q-Tip for the actual cleaning, finishing with breath and a good lens
>> tissue (AFTER washing my hands with a dish washing detergent),
>> WITHOUT silicone in it (that's horrible stuff to remove from a lens
>> later, when it begins to fog). Some now prefer microfiber cloths for
>> lens cleaning, though...
>> --DR
>
>What did you expect from the resident troll?

LMFAO!!!!!!!

Go ahead and keep spitting on your lenses. Most major manufacturers frown upon
this habit and I personally trust Nikon, Canon, etc.. over someones stupid
habits.

From: whisky-dave on

"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message

Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
option.
I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
[]
> Cheers for the useful replies, I was wondering about the breathing on it
> option.

Works well for many of us!

> I considered using one of those cleaners for LCD computer displays.

I would avoid that. if you must use a fluid, use one designed for camera
lens cleaning.

Cheers,
David

From: zulu on
> The only thing that has me puzzled is why I'm even sharing this valuable
> information with cretins that don't deserve help from anyone in the world
> at all. I'll never know. Perhaps for the 1 or 2 who might read this who
> don't deserve to suffer for you resident trolls being complete asswipes.

maybe because you're a unicorn-you don't really exist except in your
own mind. you make-believe like unicorn. you all fairy tale and story
and no reality. only a ugly unicorn that no one really want to listen
to but you never go away. maybe more like cancer then unicorn. yeah
you not unicorn. you cancer. group message board cancer