From: Scotius on
I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
haze, etc.
Anyone know of anything like this?
From: Better Info on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:48:55 -0400, Scotius <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote:

> I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
>of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
>fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
>infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
> So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
>predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
>convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
>haze, etc.
> Anyone know of anything like this?

Unless you know the precise IR spectral response of every material in
nature or man-made, and were certain those exact same materials appeared in
your scene, it would be impossible to convert the IR frequencies to known
colors in the visible spectrum. Take for a simple example two green paints.
One highly reflective of IR, the other highly absorbing of IR. If you shot
an IR image of a green-painted object through the obscuring haze from a
fire what color would you try to redefine it as?

IR works great for shooting through the haze of immense forest-fires. I
have quite a few majestic scenes and large panoramas of forest-fires in
front of towering mountains and glacier-capped peaks, abnormally hidden
from view by the dense forest-fire smoke but clearly revealed in IR. Unless
I had similar images taken from the same locations at the same time of day
during the same season of the year without the smoke present, I would be in
error trying to convert the IR-luminosity spectral response of those hidden
portions of those images to their full-color counterparts.

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-15 17:48:55 -0700, Scotius <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> said:

> I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
> of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
> fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
> infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
> So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
> predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
> convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
> haze, etc.
> Anyone know of anything like this?

Since you seem to be depend on others to conduct research for you, I
would suggest you read some of the material provided by these sites:
< http://www.infraredphoto.eu/Site/Welcome.html >
< http://lifepixel.com/ >
< http://www.maxmax.com/ >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: sligoNoSPAMjoe on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:48:55 -0400, Scotius <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote:

> I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
>of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
>fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
>infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
> So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
>predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
>convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
>haze, etc.
> Anyone know of anything like this?

I can't see how it might work. The color information you are
looking for is not in the data you have.

I would guess it may be possible to make the results look a
little less odd, but I doubt that it would help any.

It would be something like trying to make a Big Mac taste like
cheese cake with cherry topping with out having cheese or cherries or
even knowing that what you have to start with is a Big Mac.
From: Neil Harrington on

<sligoNoSPAMjoe(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:48:55 -0400, Scotius <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
>
>> I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
>>of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
>>fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
>>infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
>> So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
>>predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
>>convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
>>haze, etc.
>> Anyone know of anything like this?
>

> I can't see how it might work. The color information you are
> looking for is not in the data you have.
>
> I would guess it may be possible to make the results look a
> little less odd, but I doubt that it would help any.
>
> It would be something like trying to make a Big Mac taste like
> cheese cake with cherry topping with out having cheese or cherries or
> even knowing that what you have to start with is a Big Mac.

<chuckle>

I think you've put his problem about as well as anyone can put it.