From: DanP on
On Jul 16, 1:48 am, Scotius <yodas...(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
>         I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
> of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
> fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
> infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
>         So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
> predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
> convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
> haze, etc.
>         Anyone know of anything like this?

The information from an IR image has nothing to do with the colour.
A hot green mug will look different in IR than a plant with the same
shade of green.
So you cannot map IR to visible colour.

DanP
From: Nervous Nick on
On Jul 15, 7:48 pm, Scotius <yodas...(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
>         I know that color infra-red images look really weird (for lack
> of a better term), but I once read that infra-red light cuts through
> fog/haze etc better than regular light, which I suppose is why B & W
> infra-red shots always look better than B & W shots without IR flash.
>         So I'm wondering if there's a program that could accurately
> predict based on IR color what the colors present should be, and
> convert them, so it would be possible to do color shots better in
> haze, etc.
>         Anyone know of anything like this?

Why would you want to do this, even if it were at all possible?
From: David J Taylor on
"DanP" <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> The information from an IR image has nothing to do with the colour.
> A hot green mug will look different in IR than a plant with the same
> shade of green.
> So you cannot map IR to visible colour.
>
> DanP

Be careful not to confuse near-IR with far-IR. With digital cameras and
film it's the region just beyond the red end of the visible spectrum which
people call "IR" - a wavelength of ~0.8um. Here, the prime difference is
that the reflectance of vegetation is much higher and hence the
characteristic appearance of monochrome IR images.

Put briefly: to see thermal radiation from a hot mug requires an imager
sensitive in the 10um region of the spectrum, which might require a cooled
detector. To see fires of a few hundred degrees C, imagers sensitive to
the 3-5um region of the spectrum work the best.

Cheers,
David

From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember sligoNoSPAMjoe(a)hotmail.com saying
something like:

>It would be something like trying to make a Big Mac taste like
>cheese cake with cherry topping with out having cheese or cherries or
>even knowing that what you have to start with is a Big Mac.

Living by chemistry.
I'm sure some food researchers are working on it.
From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember Kennedy McEwen
<rkm(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> saying something like:

>I was once asked by a senior member of the UK
>Royal Family why the false colour pictures from a thermal camera,
>representing temperature from blue being cold to red being hot, made
>someone's shirt look orange when it was obviously blue. Just as I
>repeated that it was false colour, a colleague jumped in and told him
>not to worry because I would have that fixed in a day or two. No such
>thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.

Your colleague saw the Royal's eyes glaze over two sentences into the
explanation and leapt in to save you. The Royals are notoriously
difficult to penetrate with any meaningful knowledge, their inbreeding
prevents it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy
Next: Lens cleaning