From: otter on
On Jul 28, 4:35 pm, Scotius <yodas...(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Nervous Nick
> >Why would you want to do this, even if it were at all possible?
>
>         I was recently covering a concert for a local magazine, and
> asked a stage manager about taking pix with the flash. He said go
> ahead and take a few with flash, but not too many, so as not to be
> distracting.
>         I suppose for a huge event I could take one with flash and
> then recolor manually and submit the pix a couple years later :), but
> that's not really what I was looking to be able to do.

It is often not necessary, or even desirable, to take pictures with
flash at a concert. These were taken (not by me) without flash. I
wouldn't say they are great, but it shows that it is at least
possible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nataliekbeats/4546074977/in/set-72157623793453107/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nataliekbeats/4546074927/in/set-72157623793453107/

Those were taken with a Rebel Xsi, which I think is similar to your
D3000, as far as sensor size.

You could also get a fast prime lens, or perhaps even a camera with a
FF sensor if you wanted better low-light performance.

From: Peter on
"Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message

> Well, you've convinced me. I still think B & W infra-red is a
> good idea for not bothering a band or crew though... or am I wrong
> about that too? Oh God don't let me be wrong about that too... can an
> IR flash be seen (I'm hoping not)?

BW infra red changes the tonal quality of BW: You may also have focusing
issues, unless you have an infra red marker on your lens. I have starting
experimenting with it, by having one of my digital cameras converted to IR.
The only way you can get IR color is in post processing. You can convert
some colors to pseudo IR color. For rock bends you might get some
interesting effects, but don't count on faithful reproduction.

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/infrared-photography/

http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/101-absolutely-breathtaking-infrared-photographs/

--
Peter

From: otter on
On Jul 28, 10:30 pm, Scotius <yodas...(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:20:18 -0700 (PDT), otter
>

> <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Jul 28, 4:35 pm, Scotius <yodas...(a)mnsi.net> wrote:
> >> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:36:20 -0700 (PDT), Nervous Nick
>
> >>         I was recently covering a concert for a local magazine, and
> >> asked a stage manager about taking pix with the flash. He said go
> >> ahead and take a few with flash, but not too many, so as not to be
> >> distracting.
> >>         I suppose for a huge event I could take one with flash and
> >> then recolor manually and submit the pix a couple years later :), but
> >> that's not really what I was looking to be able to do.
>
> >It is often not necessary, or even desirable, to take pictures with
> >flash at a concert.  These were taken (not by me) without flash.  I
> >wouldn't say they are great, but it shows that it is at least
> >possible:
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/nataliekbeats/4546074977/in/set-72157623...
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/nataliekbeats/4546074927/in/set-72157623...
>
> >Those were taken with a Rebel Xsi, which I think is similar to your
> >D3000, as far as sensor size.
>
> >You could also get a fast prime lens, or perhaps even a camera with a
> >FF sensor if you wanted better low-light performance.
>
>         Thanks for the advice. I think there are some settings I could
> have played with on mine that would have allowed me to get a better
> image, but I've got to read up a bit on it yet.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, look at the "ISO Sensitivity" section in your manual. I think
you can get that camera up to 3200, but you need to see what that does
to noise.

From: Peter on
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 7/28/2010 11:41 PM, Peter wrote:
>> "Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Well, you've convinced me. I still think B & W infra-red is a
>>> good idea for not bothering a band or crew though... or am I wrong
>>> about that too? Oh God don't let me be wrong about that too... can an
>>> IR flash be seen (I'm hoping not)?
>>
>> BW infra red changes the tonal quality of BW: You may also have focusing
>> issues, unless you have an infra red marker on your lens. I have
>> starting experimenting with it, by having one of my digital cameras
>> converted to IR. The only way you can get IR color is in post
>> processing. You can convert some colors to pseudo IR color. For rock
>> bends you might get some interesting effects, but don't count on
>> faithful reproduction.
>>
>> Here are some links to get you started:
>>
>> http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/infrared-photography/
>>
>> http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/101-absolutely-breathtaking-infrared-photographs/
>
> IR is good for snipers and for special effects, but if you're shooting a
> concert there is no substitute for high ISO and large aperture.

Agreed! Unless you want the special effects.

> Some fabrics are somewhat transparent in infrared--you may end up
> effectively shooting your performers in their underwear. Here's one
> example that demonstrates the issue:
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCDknFbDU&feature=related>. If you
> search youtube on "see through clothing infrared" or "nightshot see
> through clothes" you'll find numerous other examples.

Not all fabrics are transparent to IR.
Also, fabric transparency is not limited to IR.

The origin of this was inadvertent.
http://swimsuits.lovetoknow.com/Sheer_Transparent_Swimwear

--
Peter

From: Scotius on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:41:12 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message
>
>> Well, you've convinced me. I still think B & W infra-red is a
>> good idea for not bothering a band or crew though... or am I wrong
>> about that too? Oh God don't let me be wrong about that too... can an
>> IR flash be seen (I'm hoping not)?
>
>BW infra red changes the tonal quality of BW: You may also have focusing
>issues, unless you have an infra red marker on your lens. I have starting
>experimenting with it, by having one of my digital cameras converted to IR.
>The only way you can get IR color is in post processing. You can convert
>some colors to pseudo IR color. For rock bends you might get some
>interesting effects, but don't count on faithful reproduction.
>
>Here are some links to get you started:
>
>http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/infrared-photography/
>
>http://www.tutorial9.net/resources/101-absolutely-breathtaking-infrared-photographs/

Thanks. That'll help.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy
Next: Lens cleaning