From: species8350 on
On Dec 22, 2:25 pm, IntergalacticExpandingPanda
<intergalacticexpandingpa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 6:02 am, pip22 <pip22.3kt...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
> > initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
> > expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
>
> .... a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.
>
> Technically speaking, a sub $50 HP or Canon is going to have the same
> issue.
>
> That being said, the Z640 doesn't look like a current model
>
> Lexmark Z2320 £27.99
> #16 black = £15.25
> 410p yield = 3.7p/page
>
> HP Photosmart D5460 £57.00
> #364xl = £19.50
> 800p yield = 2.4p yield
>
> HP DESKJET D1460        £25.11
> #21 =   £8.54
> 150p yield = 5.7
>
> Canon IP 4600  £73.27
> PGI-520BK =  £11.65
> 360p yield = 3.2p/page
>
> Canon PIXMA MP210 £39.95
> PG-40 = £15.80
> 355p yield = 4.5p/page
> (Note, there seems to be some resources for this cartridge in the £10
> range)
>
> Lexmark has a reputation of being really expensive per page, mainly
> because they got it in their heads to give away free printers and
> charge roughly double for ink.  HP cheap printers are presently among
> the more awful per page.
>
> But you can see if you buy the HP, for example, the D5460, with one
> cartridge, that'll run you £76.50 for about 1600p
> If you buy the lexmark, with 3 additional cartridges, about 1640p,
> that'll run you £73.74
>
> This doesn't take color into account.
> I have no experience with the HP D5460, It's only a model that got
> good reviews recently.
>
> While the lexmark in this example isn't the most awful in terms of
> running cost, you can see where one might consider paying more for a
> printer that has a lower running cost.

Thanks for the respone.

I have read that the Lexmark upgrade Z2390 was constructed patially to
address the ink issue? Evidently it uses different cartridges from the
2320. Presumably, more pages per cartridge?

As a matter of interest what is a 'Return Progam Print Cartridge'

Best wishes

From: species8350 on
On Dec 23, 3:43 am, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...(a)xoxy.net>
wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2:25 pm, IntergalacticExpandingPanda
>

> <intergalacticexpandingpa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 6:02 am, pip22 <pip22.3kt...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
> > > initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
> > > expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
>
> > .... a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.
>
> > Technically speaking, a sub $50 HP or Canon is going to have the same
> > issue.
>
> > That being said, the Z640 doesn't look like a current model
>
> > Lexmark Z2320 £27.99
> > #16 black = £15.25
> > 410p yield = 3.7p/page
>
> > HP Photosmart D5460 £57.00
> > #364xl = £19.50
> > 800p yield = 2.4p yield
>
> > HP DESKJET D1460        £25.11
> > #21 =   £8.54
> > 150p yield = 5.7
>
> > Canon IP 4600  £73.27
> > PGI-520BK =  £11.65
> > 360p yield = 3.2p/page
>
> > Canon PIXMA MP210 £39.95
> > PG-40 = £15.80
> > 355p yield = 4.5p/page
> > (Note, there seems to be some resources for this cartridge in the £10
> > range)
>
> > Lexmark has a reputation of being really expensive per page, mainly
> > because they got it in their heads to give away free printers and
> > charge roughly double for ink.  HP cheap printers are presently among
> > the more awful per page.
>
> > But you can see if you buy the HP, for example, the D5460, with one
> > cartridge, that'll run you £76.50 for about 1600p
> > If you buy the lexmark, with 3 additional cartridges, about 1640p,
> > that'll run you £73.74
>
> > This doesn't take color into account.
> > I have no experience with the HP D5460, It's only a model that got
> > good reviews recently.
>
> > While the lexmark in this example isn't the most awful in terms of
> > running cost, you can see where one might consider paying more for a
> > printer that has a lower running cost.
>
> Thanks for the respone.
>
> I have read that the Lexmark upgrade Z2390 was constructed patially to
> address the ink issue? Evidently it uses different cartridges from the
> 2320. Presumably, more pages per cartridge?
>
> As a matter of interest what is a 'Return Progam Print Cartridge'
>
> Best wishes
>
> S- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to mention.

I think a user can also refill these Lexmark cartriges. Hence, it
might be possible to find ink on the Net that is reasonably cheap?
From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 22, 7:47 pm, species8350
> I think a user can also refill these Lexmark cartriges. Hence, it
> might be possible to find ink on the Net that is reasonably cheap?

It may be possible to refill the Lexmark cartridges. If that is the
case it becomes a function of how many times you can refill a given
cartridge before replacement.

To this end I bought Canons, specifically the mp830/ip5200. You can
buy bulk ink, the cartridges are easy to refill, and a given head
lasts for at least 15 cartridge changes x 5 tanks. You should also
buy a chipresetter, and the newest models are not going to have chip
reset support. I'm not sure exactly how many times you can refill an
OEM cartridge, perhaps it's 5 times, perhaps it's 8. You can reverse
flush them to extend their refill life, but for me I bought like two
extra sets for 16oz of ink.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=896
This discusses the refillability of the pg30/40/50 and cl-30/40/50
cartridges. I've just read something about an mptool that can reset
the cartridges, and there were dutch instructions regarding covering
up the pins to get the printer to reset them. If this is effective
then depending on the printer telling you when to refill will extend
cartridge life.

You can get the mp210 for like £38.16. Or the ip2600 £26.91 Anything
below the mp500 is going to take these head on the cartridge type
cartridges. They print at lower resolution, and only employ 3 color
printing for color. But they are not all that bad. The text is good
and photos are as decent as my old ip3000. There is refill support
for these models.

You can see the instructions here for many printers so you can make an
objective choice.
http://www.uni-kit.com/pdf/inkjetrefillinstructions.pdf

From: measekite on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:47:44 -0800, species8350 wrote:

> On Dec 23, 3:43 am, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...(a)xoxy.net>
> wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 2:25 pm, IntergalacticExpandingPanda
>>

>> <intergalacticexpandingpa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Dec 21, 6:02 am, pip22 <pip22.3kt...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
>>
>> > .... a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.
>>
>> > Technically speaking, a sub $50 HP or Canon is going to have the same
>> > issue.
>>
>> > That being said, the Z640 doesn't look like a current model
>>
>> > Lexmark Z2320 £27.99
>> > #16 black = £15.25
>> > 410p yield = 3.7p/page
>>
>> > HP Photosmart D5460 £57.00
>> > #364xl = £19.50
>> > 800p yield = 2.4p yield
>>
>> > HP DESKJET D1460        £25.11
>> > #21 =   £8.54
>> > 150p yield = 5.7
>>
>> > Canon IP 4600  £73.27
>> > PGI-520BK =  £11.65
>> > 360p yield = 3.2p/page
>>
>> > Canon PIXMA MP210 £39.95
>> > PG-40 = £15.80
>> > 355p yield = 4.5p/page
>> > (Note, there seems to be some resources for this cartridge in the £10
>> > range)
>>
>> > Lexmark has a reputation of being really expensive per page, mainly
>> > because they got it in their heads to give away free printers and
>> > charge roughly double for ink.  HP cheap printers are presently among
>> > the more awful per page.
>>
>> > But you can see if you buy the HP, for example, the D5460, with one
>> > cartridge, that'll run you £76.50 for about 1600p
>> > If you buy the lexmark, with 3 additional cartridges, about 1640p,
>> > that'll run you £73.74
>>
>> > This doesn't take color into account.
>> > I have no experience with the HP D5460, It's only a model that got
>> > good reviews recently.
>>
>> > While the lexmark in this example isn't the most awful in terms of
>> > running cost, you can see where one might consider paying more for a
>> > printer that has a lower running cost.
>>
>> Thanks for the respone.
>>
>> I have read that the Lexmark upgrade Z2390 was constructed patially to
>> address the ink issue? Evidently it uses different cartridges from the
>> 2320. Presumably, more pages per cartridge?
>>
>> As a matter of interest what is a 'Return Progam Print Cartridge'
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> S- Hide quoted text -

> Forgot to mention.
>
> I think a user can also refill these Lexmark cartriges. Hence, it
> might be possible to find ink on the Net that is reasonably cheap?

Lexmarks are certainly worth refilling. No drop off there.