From: species8350 on
Hi,

I am thinking of buying one of these printers.

I am a bit short of space on the desk, but they both seem compact.

Assuming a similar price for both, which is the bettter buy? My
thoughs are that the Z2320 is probably the better of the two.

Thanks

ps. I intend to refill the cartridges myself when empty.
From: pip22 on

I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
are more expensive than those for the other brands.

If you spend a little more on a Canon or HP you will soon reap the
benefits of cheaper ink, so in the long run the Lexmark would cost you
more money, not less. Quality of colour output is also poor by
comparison, and if you plan to print your own photo-images in the
future, a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 21, 6:02 am, pip22 <pip22.3kt...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
> initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
> expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
..... a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.

Technically speaking, a sub $50 HP or Canon is going to have the same
issue.

That being said, the Z640 doesn't look like a current model

Lexmark Z2320 £27.99
#16 black = £15.25
410p yield = 3.7p/page

HP Photosmart D5460 £57.00
#364xl = £19.50
800p yield = 2.4p yield

HP DESKJET D1460 £25.11
#21 = £8.54
150p yield = 5.7

Canon IP 4600 £73.27
PGI-520BK = £11.65
360p yield = 3.2p/page

Canon PIXMA MP210 £39.95
PG-40 = £15.80
355p yield = 4.5p/page
(Note, there seems to be some resources for this cartridge in the £10
range)

Lexmark has a reputation of being really expensive per page, mainly
because they got it in their heads to give away free printers and
charge roughly double for ink. HP cheap printers are presently among
the more awful per page.

But you can see if you buy the HP, for example, the D5460, with one
cartridge, that'll run you £76.50 for about 1600p
If you buy the lexmark, with 3 additional cartridges, about 1640p,
that'll run you £73.74

This doesn't take color into account.
I have no experience with the HP D5460, It's only a model that got
good reviews recently.

While the lexmark in this example isn't the most awful in terms of
running cost, you can see where one might consider paying more for a
printer that has a lower running cost.

From: measekite on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:02:22 -0600, pip22 wrote:

> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
> initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
> expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
> are more expensive than those for the other brands.
>
> If you spend a little more on a Canon or HP you will soon reap the
> benefits of cheaper ink, so in the long run the Lexmark would cost you
> more money, not less. Quality of colour output is also poor by
> comparison, and if you plan to print your own photo-images in the
> future, a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.

Other than a few bucks Canon and Epson are much superior.
From: measekite on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:25:33 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Dec 21, 6:02 am, pip22 <pip22.3kt...(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>> I would think twice before buying any Lexmark printer, for although the
>> initial price is attractive the replacement ink cartridges are way more
>> expensive than the other major printer brands. Even the 'compatibles'
> .... a Lexmark is certainly not a wise choice.
>
> Technically speaking, a sub $50 HP or Canon is going to have the same
> issue.

Those are garbage as well.