From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 7, 7:55 am, ECLiPSE 2002 <fdm2...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Has anyone purchased the resetter offered by Cartridge America or
> 123Refills in the $28 cost range?
>
> In the market for a resetter, but no sure if either of the above units
> are reliable and workable

I bought mine here
http://www.inkfilling.com/printer-ink-canon-resetter-cli8-pgi5.html

It looks like either Sudhaus's redsetter, or a clone of Sudhaus's
redsetter.

It takes a battery(CR2032), but it's easy enough to crack open the
case an replace it.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18597

According to them it's good for 1500 resets. Even 150 resets
represents represents 30 cartridge changes for a given printer. There
is every reason to believe that a given resetter will last as long as
your printer on one battery.

There is also a bluesetter on the market, but the only place that
sells them that I know about wants a good deal more than $30 for it.
http://www.inkjetreset.com/ They may have improved on the design of
the cli-8 adapter.

The one I bought works just fine, though I was trying to reset them
backwards at first. Silly me.
From: ECLiPSE 2002 on
I've seen your posts on the comp.periphs.printers and would like to
pick your brains. I have the Canon Pixma iP3500 and belately realized
that the cartridges were affixed with chips that signal ink depletion.
To make a long story short, I purchased some replacement cartridges
from G&G, before learning that resetters were developed to allow
continuation of the ink supply signaling.

After reading your post I purchased the resetter from InkFilling and
received it yesterday. I notice that when the resetter is tipped end
to end it sounds as if something is loose and rattling around inside.
I am wondering if your unit makes the same sound or if this is a
indication of a defective unit.

I do not have any near empty Canon cartridges to use to test the
resetter - so I don't presently know if it works. I am assuming that
one would not want to try resetting a cartridge that is one half or
more full?

Frank

From: measekite on
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:08:11 -0500, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:

> I've seen your posts on the comp.periphs.printers and would like to
> pick your brains. I have the Canon Pixma iP3500 and belately realized
> that the cartridges were affixed with chips that signal ink depletion.
> To make a long story short, I purchased some replacement cartridges
> from G&G, before learning that resetters were developed to allow
> continuation of the ink supply signaling.
>
> After reading your post I purchased the resetter from InkFilling and
> received it yesterday. I notice that when the resetter is tipped end
> to end it sounds as if something is loose and rattling around inside.
> I am wondering if your unit makes the same sound or if this is a
> indication of a defective unit.
>
> I do not have any near empty Canon cartridges to use to test the
> resetter - so I don't presently know if it works. I am assuming that
> one would not want to try resetting a cartridge that is one half or
> more full?
>
> Frank

If you would use the recommended in for your printer you would not have
these problems. Things may get worse. You could get a clogged printhead,
you photos could fade more rapidly and/or you image quality will most
likely be not as good.

Besides, the newer Canon printers will produce much better images on photo
paper.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 18, 11:08 am, ECLiPSE 2002 <fdm2...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> I've seen your posts on the comp.periphs.printers and would like to
> pick your brains. I have the Canon Pixma iP3500 and belately realized
> that the cartridges were affixed with chips that signal ink depletion.
> To make a long story short, I purchased some replacement cartridges
> from G&G, before learning that resetters were developed to allow
> continuation of the ink supply signaling.
>
> After reading your post I purchased the resetter from InkFilling and
> received it yesterday. I notice that when the resetter is tipped end
> to end it sounds as if something is loose and rattling around inside.
> I am wondering if your unit makes the same sound or if this is a
> indication of a defective unit.
>
> I do not have any near empty Canon cartridges to use to test the
> resetter - so I don't presently know if it works. I am assuming that
> one would not want to try resetting a cartridge that is one half or
> more full?

Righto, here's how it works.

Canon has a reservoir (80%) Sponge (20%) and a prism. When reservoir
= empty prism exposed, signals printer 20% ink remaining (low ink
warning).

Let's say you are able to keep the cartridges full all the time.
Prism not exposed so the printer should be happy? Well, they also
have a countdown as well. I don't know how many ml of ink you can use
before you trigger this failsafe.

Here's the part that applies to you. The reverse is not true. Let's
say you have a mostly full chip (above 20%) and an empty reservoir.
The printer will presume presume 20% full and start the sponge
countdown?

What does this mean? You can test the unit on a full cartridge if you
like. I'll just read 3 bars but the prism will still be happy to do
it's job.

Noise. Mine makes some noise if you shake it. It's a PC board
attached with pegs. The contacts you see are attached directly to the
board. The switch you see is actually a plastic rod that hits a push
button on the unit it self. It is a screwless wonder.

From: NSN on
On 21 Dec 2008 03:42:51 GMT, Taliesyn <taliesyn(a)invalidmail.net>
wrote:

>measekite <inkystinky(a)oem.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:08:11 -0500, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen your posts on the comp.periphs.printers and would like to
>>> pick your brains. I have the Canon Pixma iP3500 and belately realized
>>> that the cartridges were affixed with chips that signal ink
>>> depletion. To make a long story short, I purchased some replacement
>>> cartridges from G&G, before learning that resetters were developed to
>>> allow continuation of the ink supply signaling.
>>>
>>> After reading your post I purchased the resetter from InkFilling and
>>> received it yesterday. I notice that when the resetter is tipped end
>>> to end it sounds as if something is loose and rattling around inside.
>>> I am wondering if your unit makes the same sound or if this is a
>>> indication of a defective unit.
>>>
>>> I do not have any near empty Canon cartridges to use to test the
>>> resetter - so I don't presently know if it works. I am assuming that
>>> one would not want to try resetting a cartridge that is one half or
>>> more full?
>>>
>>> Frank
>>

>> If you would use the recommended ink for your printer you would not
>> have these problems.
>

>Wanna bet! 2 new printers - two cartridge failures!
>
>Canon has literally forced us to buy a chip resetter as both of our
>iP4500 printers (bought months apart) stopped printing and indicated
>there was a "problem" with the original Canon cyan cartridges, that they
>needed replacing. That's all very well and dandy had they been empty or
>near empty. But they were 50% full (sponge free section). Nice going,
>Canon! Way to engineer built-in stupidity with these totally
>unnecessary chips that don't serve any useful purpose other than
>malfunction.
>
>When Canon announced the addition of chips on cartridges a few years
>ago, I predicted in this newsgroup that there would be malfunctions
>with chipped cartridges. So as soon as I bought my first iP4500 I also
>ordered a chip resetter. Well, it came in handy much sooner than
>anticipated - on the initial set of cartridges - on both printers!
>
>But instead of throwing out a half full cartridge, I was able to reset
>the chip in seconds and have the cartridge back in the printer and
>working. Mind you I have to keep a visual eye on the cartridge now
>because the ink meter says the cartridge is 100% full though actually
>contains only about 50% ink. I can live with that. At least it's
>working.
>
>The way I see it, chip resetters should be included with all Canon
>printers since they have shown them to be far less reliable than the
>previous unchipped printers. I highly recommend people get the re-
>setter. They're not expensive and will easily pay for themselves during
>the life of the printer. In my case I was able to reset two half-full
>cartridges worth CAD $20.
>
>-Taliesyn

Taliesyn:

Which re-setter is considered the most reliable?

Norm
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Printing on toilet paper