From: Taliesyn on
measekite <inkystinky(a)oem.com> wrote in news:Ewv3l.15063$ZP4.7498
@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 03:42:51 +0000, Taliesyn wrote:
>

>> Canon has literally forced us to buy a chip resetter as both of our
>> iP4500 printers (bought months apart) stopped printing and indicated
>> there was a "problem" with the original Canon cyan cartridges, that they
>> needed replacing. That's all very well and dandy had they been empty or
>> near empty. But they were 50% full (sponge free section). Nice going,
>> Canon! Way to engineer built-in stupidity with these totally
>> unnecessary chips that don't serve any useful purpose other than
>> malfunction.
>

> I do not believe what you You may have had a problem but it is not par
> for the course.

How is that not "par for the course"??? Two brand new printers fail
with first use of original Canon chipped cartridges! That's a 100% failure
rate for the chip system.

> Call Canon. I am sure the carts have some sort of warranty.

How does a warranty help me when I'm in the middle of an important print
job?? On other hand, a chip resetter offers immediate help. I reset the
chip and the half full cartridge was working again. And the important print
job got finished, not ruined.

-Taliesyn
From: Arthur Entlich on
Indeed, I feel similarly with any chipped cartridge... Of course, that
would defeat the whole reason they put the chip there to begin with (in
spite of what they may claim).

With Epsons, which I have a lot more experience with, I have seen many
chip and chip firmware related problems, as well as hardware related
problems related to the chips. I find it ironic that purchasers end up
paying extra for the printer, and the ink cartridges, and have
additional issues with their printers so that they can be forced to buy
the manufacturer's ink. "What a 'country'!" ;-)

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Arthur Entlich on

IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> Hell, with Epson, for the r280, it's cheaper to buy refurbished
> printers with ink than it is to buy just the ink.

But is the ink on the Epson also refurbished ;-)

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 21, 10:51 pm, Arthur Entlich <e-printerh...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
> IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
>
>  > Hell, with Epson, for the r280, it's cheaper to buy refurbished
>  > printers with ink than it is to buy just the ink.
>
>   But is the ink on the Epson also refurbished ;-)

You tell me, lol.

I have to admit, I only got 1 referb epson, and that was an r200. It
came with cartridges, sealed. I didn't weigh them, but they gave no
indication of being refurbished.

I do see it on the website they do actually offer "refurbished ink".
The price is identical at least for the R280 cartridges. I have NO
idea what a refurbished cartridge is, or if they are any different
than store bought cartridges, or if it's just a website glitch.

From: John Chapman on
IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> Righto, here's how it works.
>
> Canon has a reservoir (80%) Sponge (20%) and a prism. When reservoir
> = empty prism exposed, signals printer 20% ink remaining (low ink
> warning).
>
> Let's say you are able to keep the cartridges full all the time.
> Prism not exposed so the printer should be happy? Well, they also
> have a countdown as well. I don't know how many ml of ink you can use
> before you trigger this failsafe.
>
> Here's the part that applies to you. The reverse is not true. Let's
> say you have a mostly full chip (above 20%) and an empty reservoir.
> The printer will presume presume 20% full and start the sponge
> countdown?
>
> What does this mean? You can test the unit on a full cartridge if you
> like. I'll just read 3 bars but the prism will still be happy to do
> it's job.
>
> Noise. Mine makes some noise if you shake it. It's a PC board
> attached with pegs. The contacts you see are attached directly to the
> board. The switch you see is actually a plastic rod that hits a push
> button on the unit it self. It is a screwless wonder.

I have the Redsetter chip resetter from Sudhaus.
It works perfectly in resetting chips for my 4500
and my wife's 3500 both of which printers use the
same cartridges.

The paragraph above entitled "Noise" explains exactly
about the inside of the resetter.
*** Do not read on if you are measekite ***
I have carefully prised open the Redsetter with a sharp knife
along the whole of the bottom edge and have thus been able
to disassemble the unit and reassemble it with small screws
which means I can now change the battery if needed.
Inside there is a small pc board which is located on four
lugs or pegs which can be carefully drilled out to accept
screws. The base of the resetter has some small dimples in the
plastic. If you drill holes in the dimples at each corner then
these should line up with the lugs inside and screws can go
through the four holes in the base directly into the lugs
thereby making the resetter have a longer life.
*** DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE MEASEKITE ***
So now I have the ability to reset all my ink cartridges
and extend the life of the resetter by changing the battery

*** measekite to resume reading here ***
I love the results I get with my Canon 4500 printer.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Printing on toilet paper
Next: Lexmark Z640 vs Z2320