From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 22, 12:48 pm, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:24:25 -0800, Arthur Entlich wrote:
> > Indeed, I feel similarly with any chipped cartridge...  Of course, that
> > would defeat the whole reason they put the chip there to begin with (in
> > spite of what they may claim).
>
> > With Epsons, which I have a lot more experience with, I have seen many
> > chip and chip firmware related problems, as well as hardware related
> > problems related to the chips.  I find it ironic that purchasers end up
> > paying extra for the printer, and the ink cartridges, and have
> > additional issues with their printers so that they can be forced to buy
> > the manufacturer's ink. "What a 'country'!" ;-)
>
> > Art
>
> The above top posted statement is incorrect.  The mfgs are not forcing
> anybody to use the correct ink.  There are many jerks that do not follow
> the advice of the mfg and get lousy results but either they lie about what
> they get or they are unknowingly willing to accept poorer results and
> enjoy complaining and having issues with their printers.
>
> The majority of printer users do in fact use OEM productgs.

Manufacturers are doing their best to force users to use their ink.
With Epson they employ a patented cartridge design and use chips.
Same with Canon, they went after third party manufacturers that used
prisms in the UK, and they started using chips in their cartridges.
HP has been using chips for some time, though many printers are the
head on the cart type which to be fair is more of an issue to have
refilled, and can't exactly be manufactured with ease by a 3rd party,
well, until the patent expired.

Manufacturers are in fact trying to force users to buy their ink.

I'm perfectly willing to accept there are some cartridges and inks
that have issues. Making an informed choice is important. That's why
people like my self share information about products we've actually
tried. MIS inks I've used enough to say my printer did not explode.
I replaced the head after 15 cartridge changes. I saved over a grand
which I used for a modest vacation, Porta del Carmen, Cancun, Merida,
Chitzen Itza.

For aftermarket ink for the Canon, there isn't really an archival
solution, but my main application is printing on discs where the discs
are in cases not near sunlight. Not an issue. OEM Canon ink is not
very archival in the first place, so I see little point paying 10x as
much for a substandard product. For archival, I'm going to use the
Epson 1280 with pigmented ink. That without a doubt will out perform
OEM dye which to be fair was pretty lame on that model.
From: Arthur Entlich on
Nice to not be at the mercy of the OEM ink market, have the ability to
use 3rd party and formulations of inks that may be different than the
manufacturer is willing to offer, and to be able to reuse both the
cartridges and the resetter long term, rather than either going into the
landfill.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Arthur Entlich on
I'm only responding to mindless Measekite because he's been quoted, so I
have seen his reply, and because he is, as per usual, speaking out of
his lower orifice.

Canon printers may work without resetting the chip while losing the ink
monitor systems which may lead to a head burnout, but Epson printers
simply will not work if the cartridges chip is not reset or replaced
with a new one. Epson and other inkjet manufacturers have used legal
means based, in part, on the political climate in North America, to
"protect" their ink sales by claiming patent infringement. In some
cases, the patents themselves were adopted to force 3rd party companies
to violate them in order for the cartridges to work with the printer design.

My hope is that with the change of administration in the White House and
more awareness of the environmental impact of these horrible business
models, as in the EU, North America will be legislated into providing
refillable cartridges.

From: Arthur Entlich on
The only extra I wish to add to this is that not all 3rd party inks are
inferior to OEM, in fact, quite the contrary. Some of the most
interesting and ingenious new ink formulations are coming from small 3rd
party companies.

I am not speaking of the low cost Chinese inks that compete with OEM,
but of new innovations. If it were not for 3rd party inks, I doubt we
would have seen long life pigment inks nearly as quickly. And to this
day none of the OEM companies are producing dye sub inks for inkjets, or
many other specialty inks.

From: measekite on
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 03:02:17 -0800, Arthur Entlich wrote:

What section of the post are you replying to. It is difficult to put your
post into any perspective since you are choosing to top post.

> The only extra I wish to add to this is that not all 3rd party inks are
> inferior to OEM, in fact, quite the contrary. Some of the most
> interesting and ingenious new ink formulations are coming from small 3rd
> party companies.
>
> I am not speaking of the low cost Chinese inks that compete with OEM,
> but of new innovations. If it were not for 3rd party inks, I doubt we
> would have seen long life pigment inks nearly as quickly. And to this
> day none of the OEM companies are producing dye sub inks for inkjets, or
> many other specialty inks.
>
> Art
>

> If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
> I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:
>
> http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
>
> IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 12:48 pm, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The above top posted statement is incorrect. The mfgs are not forcing
>>> anybody to use the correct ink. There are many jerks that do not follow
>>> the advice of the mfg and get lousy results but either they lie about what
>>> they get or they are unknowingly willing to accept poorer results and
>>> enjoy complaining and having issues with their printers.
>>>
>>> The majority of printer users do in fact use OEM productgs.
>>>

>> If the majority of printer users use OEM, then why the switch to the
>> chips? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the majority use OEM, not because
>> it's an informed choice but because they don't know there are
>> options.
>>
>> By your logic, we should be using OEM oil for our cars. Ford oil for
>> a Ford car, Toyota oil for a Toyota. But as a matter of law they
>> can't make use of their product a condition of the warranty.
>>
>> But if you're going to use the logic of the majority of printer users,
>> the majority of printer users don't need archival ink all the time.
>> Likely the main application for a printer is text with a dab of
>> color. You don't need OEM to do this.
>>
>> The chips serve one purpose, to lock the end user into buying their
>> ink, to maintain the monopoly. With the Canon design, chips are NOT
>> required since they use a prism to indicate whether the cartridges are
>> full or close to empty (20%). In fact the prism is still the major
>> indicator.
>>
>> The thing you refuse to get is it's our printer. The manufacturer has
>> NO business forcing us to use their consumables.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Printing on toilet paper
Next: Lexmark Z640 vs Z2320