From: DianeLeMasson on
Hi

Sorry for the cross-post, as I have posted in another NG, but
not getting any responses & I am desperate.

I have own this Canon s900 photo printer for about 6 years &
during this time never gave me any problems.
It is basically only used for photos or when I need to print color
documents. I have a second printer I use that is black ink only.

What is happening with the s900 is while not in use it seems the
color inks within their cartridges are changing colors so when I
print anything out it's no longer their true colors.
As well some are emptying out on their own, not by printing.
e.g. yellow has turn to orange, photo magenta turn to purple.
If I print just with black it comes out green.

I've look inside or under printer, I don't see any leaks.
I am at a total lost & of course Canon is of no help.
Since it's no longer under warranty they don't care.
And yes I use only ink for canon, BCI-6.

I hope that I was able to explain this well enough for someone with
far more knowledge than I, who maybe can help me to find a
way that I can fix this myself. At least give it a try before I do throw
this printer out. I really hate to since it was a gift & when it did work
it was a great color printer. My problem is I am a senior citizen &
can not afford to replace this printer or can I bring it somewhere to
get it fix for it will cost $100 just to look at it, not to mention how
much it'll cost if it could be fix.
Has anyone ever had this particular problem or similar, I would
like to hear from you?
Thank you

Diane

From: Tony on
"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>Hi
>
>Sorry for the cross-post, as I have posted in another NG, but
>not getting any responses & I am desperate.
>
>I have own this Canon s900 photo printer for about 6 years &
>during this time never gave me any problems.
>It is basically only used for photos or when I need to print color
>documents. I have a second printer I use that is black ink only.
>
>What is happening with the s900 is while not in use it seems the
>color inks within their cartridges are changing colors so when I
>print anything out it's no longer their true colors.
>As well some are emptying out on their own, not by printing.
>e.g. yellow has turn to orange, photo magenta turn to purple.
>If I print just with black it comes out green.
>
>I've look inside or under printer, I don't see any leaks.
>I am at a total lost & of course Canon is of no help.
>Since it's no longer under warranty they don't care.
>And yes I use only ink for canon, BCI-6.
>
>I hope that I was able to explain this well enough for someone with
>far more knowledge than I, who maybe can help me to find a
>way that I can fix this myself. At least give it a try before I do throw
>this printer out. I really hate to since it was a gift & when it did work
>it was a great color printer. My problem is I am a senior citizen &
>can not afford to replace this printer or can I bring it somewhere to
>get it fix for it will cost $100 just to look at it, not to mention how
>much it'll cost if it could be fix.
>Has anyone ever had this particular problem or similar, I would
>like to hear from you?
>Thank you
>
>Diane

Diane
I have seen something like this fairly often with Canon ink printers.
What appears to happen is the ink transfers from one colour to another and I
think it has something to do with the way the ink containers seal in the print
head, some sort of capillary action.
It has always been fixed by replacing the affected ink cartridges.
Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
turn yellow an orange colour.
You will need to replace all of the cartridges that are affected, in this case
any that are emptying out and the black and yellow cartridges. My guess is
Black, Yellow and Cyan.
Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
cartridges.
Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head cleaning
cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.
Good luck
Tony
MS MVP Printing Image

From: Alex on
Tony <tonythebengaltiger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
<snip>
>Diane
>I have seen something like this fairly often with Canon ink printers.
>What appears to happen is the ink transfers from one colour to another and I
>think it has something to do with the way the ink containers seal in the print
>head, some sort of capillary action.
>It has always been fixed by replacing the affected ink cartridges.
>Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
>From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
>suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
>turn yellow an orange colour.
>You will need to replace all of the cartridges that are affected, in this case
>any that are emptying out and the black and yellow cartridges. My guess is
>Black, Yellow and Cyan.
>Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
>contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
>until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
>cartridges.
>Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head cleaning
>cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.
>Good luck
>Tony
>MS MVP Printing Image

Although I don't own this printer and though I've never seen this problem with
my printers, it seems very unlikely that one color (say magenta) seeps from its
cartridge to the print head and then back again to another cartridge (say the
yellow one), and also in such amounts that the yellow ink has become useless. I
believe that changing the cartridges might help if for a completely *different*
reason they have become contaminated, but I can't think of a reason why they
should get bad.

Arthur??

Greetings, Alex

From: Tony on
Alex <Alex(a)Alex.org> wrote:
>Tony <tonythebengaltiger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
><snip>
>>Diane
>>I have seen something like this fairly often with Canon ink printers.
>>What appears to happen is the ink transfers from one colour to another and I
>>think it has something to do with the way the ink containers seal in the
>>print
>>head, some sort of capillary action.
>>It has always been fixed by replacing the affected ink cartridges.
>>Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
>>From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
>>suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
>>turn yellow an orange colour.
>>You will need to replace all of the cartridges that are affected, in this
>>case
>>any that are emptying out and the black and yellow cartridges. My guess is
>>Black, Yellow and Cyan.
>>Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
>>contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
>>until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
>>cartridges.
>>Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head
>>cleaning
>>cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.
>>Good luck
>>Tony
>>MS MVP Printing Image
>
>Although I don't own this printer and though I've never seen this problem with
>my printers, it seems very unlikely that one color (say magenta) seeps from
>its
>cartridge to the print head and then back again to another cartridge (say the
>yellow one), and also in such amounts that the yellow ink has become useless.
>believe that changing the cartridges might help if for a completely
>*different*
>reason they have become contaminated, but I can't think of a reason why they
>should get bad.
>
>Arthur??
>
>Greetings, Alex

I have seen this several times, only with Canon printers of various models, and
there can be no doubt that the ink travels from one cartridge to another. It
has to do with seals and pressure I believe. This has to be via the printhead
assembly. Every one of these I have seen was fixed after the cartridges were
replaced and several head cleaning operations were performed. Head cleaning
with the existing cartridges will not help since the contamination has already
occurred.
Tony
MS MVP Printing Image

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 20, 11:19 am, "DianeLeMasson"
> My problem is I am a senior citizen &
> can not afford to replace this printer or can I bring it somewhere to
> get it fix for it will cost $100 just to look at it, not to mention how
> much it'll cost if it could be fix.
> Has anyone ever had this particular problem or similar, I would
> like to hear from you?
> Thank you
>
> Diane

Here's the problem, you're going to have to troubleshoot the issue.
It's either
1) Cartridge issue
2) Head issue
3) Printer issue

Cartridges are about $10/pop to replace the affected ones.
Printhead on that model is about $80 for a QY-0039-000

Canon doesn't make 6 tank printers anymore. The best they offer is in
the mp980 and it offers a text tank, dye black, and dye grey.

The mp810 AIO 5 tank model is presently on sale as a referb on
http://estore.usa.canon.com for $80 + shipping & tax
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=212004&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=17251&top_category=12054

The mp610 is on Amazon.com new for $80 shipped.
http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=212004&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=17251&top_category=12054

Epson offers their R280 as a referb from their website for $55 shipped
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63074510

This is just to give you some indication of replacement value. $55-
$80

As a good rule of thumb, Canon suggests the printhead is end of life
after about 10 cartridge changes. I've seen 15 my self, others more
or less. It's good to estimate about a $1.00 hidden cost per
cartridge change to maintain a given Canon.