From: measekite on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:53:06 -0600, Tony wrote:

> [...]
>>>Black, Yellow and Cyan.
>>>Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
>>>contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
>>>until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
>>>cartridges.
>>>Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head cleaning
>>>cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.
>>>Good luck
>>>Tony
>>
>>Excellent advice, Tony.
>>
>>I have and use regularly the S9000, Diane's printer's big brother. And
>>I've had problems like that described.
>>
>>One of the cartridges is leaking and the excess ink is moving around the
>>printhead, as you suggest, tony.
>>
>>She doesn't need to replace them all, but certainly:-
>>
>>1. remove them all, and place temporary seals on the ink outlets (after
>>wiping excess ink from around the seals.
>>
>>2. Take out the print head and give it a rinse in plain water (be
>>careful - the ink can get everywhere!); I actually have some head
>>cleaning/rinsing fluid that I put in a set of old cartridges kept for
>>this purpose, and rinse through the head *before* removing it. That
>>helps to get rid of any blockages.
>>
>>It may well be that the overflow ink colour is noticeable around the
>>head.
>>
>>3. Dry loose water off the head and replace according to original
>>instructions.
>>
>>4. Insert a new set of cartridges (if you've done this before you can
>>probably reuse those that definitely are not leaking).
>>
>>5. Go through a couple of cleaning cycles (and head checks)
>>to ensure the ink is flowing freely. And run some prints asap (on cheap
>>paper until the colour is running at full strength.
>>
>>When I had this problem a couple of years ago, I found that the 'print
>>on ordinary paper' gave good colours while the 'print on photo paper'
>>gave the problems you describe. It turned out that printing on ordinary
>>paper doesn't use the photo-magenta and photo-cyan tanks, and that's
>>where the problem was. It took me a long time (three months in all) to
>>track it down and get back to quality printing. (I even bought a new
>>print head - now kept as spare.)
>>
>>But I'm pleased to say that my prints on my Canon won me the Photo soc
>>print trophy this year. So good ol' Canon!!
>>
>>HIH
>>
>>Mike
>>--
>>Michael J Davis
>>
>>Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman
>>
>><><
>>The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
>>Dorethea Lange
>><><
>
> Well worth trying all of that, the less cost the better.
> BTW I have seen this with Canon and compatible cartrdiges. I believe it is a

I have never seen this using Canon OEM recommended ink.
From: Arthur Entlich on

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Tony wrote:
> "DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Sorry for the cross-post, as I have posted in another NG, but
>> not getting any responses & I am desperate.
>>
>> I have own this Canon s900 photo printer for about 6 years &
>> during this time never gave me any problems.
>> It is basically only used for photos or when I need to print color
>> documents. I have a second printer I use that is black ink only.
>>
>> What is happening with the s900 is while not in use it seems the
>> color inks within their cartridges are changing colors so when I
>> print anything out it's no longer their true colors.
>> As well some are emptying out on their own, not by printing.
>> e.g. yellow has turn to orange, photo magenta turn to purple.
>> If I print just with black it comes out green.
>>
>> I've look inside or under printer, I don't see any leaks.
>> I am at a total lost & of course Canon is of no help.
>> Since it's no longer under warranty they don't care.
>> And yes I use only ink for canon, BCI-6.
>>
>> I hope that I was able to explain this well enough for someone with
>> far more knowledge than I, who maybe can help me to find a
>> way that I can fix this myself. At least give it a try before I do throw
>> this printer out. I really hate to since it was a gift & when it did work
>> it was a great color printer. My problem is I am a senior citizen &
>> can not afford to replace this printer or can I bring it somewhere to
>> get it fix for it will cost $100 just to look at it, not to mention how
>> much it'll cost if it could be fix.
>> Has anyone ever had this particular problem or similar, I would
>> like to hear from you?
>> Thank you
>>
>> Diane
>
> Diane
> I have seen something like this fairly often with Canon ink printers.
> What appears to happen is the ink transfers from one colour to another and I
> think it has something to do with the way the ink containers seal in the print
> head, some sort of capillary action.
> It has always been fixed by replacing the affected ink cartridges.
> Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
> From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
> suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
> turn yellow an orange colour.

I've been looking at the specs on this printer and it seems to be a 6
color printer, with 6 individual cartridges: Cyan, Photo cyan, Magenta,
Photo Magenta, Yellow, Black.

Yellow will turn orange when contaminated with magenta, and likely photo
magenta. Cyan is a turquoise and with yellow becomes greenish. I agree
that contaminated black with cyan may cause it to go green, but it may
also do so from yellow ink. Photo magenta going purple is definitely a
mixture of it with one of the two cyans.

The problem is even the one that is leaking may be picking up color,
because as soon as the ink floods it can cause the inks to transfer
between one another because the cartridge seal isn't perfect. It almost
sounds like each cartridge is being contaminated by one next to it.

I do agree that the first suspect is probably the photo cyan, and it is
possible what Diane is referring to as orange is a mildly greenish
yellow, or perhaps it is just the yellow being yellow, since it looks
orange when concentrated.

I would remove each cartridge and using a cotton swab try to sop up any
ink that seems to be pooled and try to figure out what color it is, or
which cartridge seems to be running low without use, and try replacing
that one first. I would definitely try to sop up any pooled ink to try
to lessen further contamination of other cartridges, even the new ones.
Then try replacing the Photo Cyan. As you stated, the other
contaminated colors will also need to be replaced, but if Diane can do
some detective work and determine which color seems to be causing the
contamination by which one is leaking, that might save some more
contaminated cartridges.

From: Arthur Entlich on
Hi Diane,

If you've ever paid attention to the yellow ink before, you'd probably
have found it leans to orange when in the cartridge even without any
contamination, and if only a bit of magenta got into it, it probably
wouldn't show up as drastically incorrect on a print.

You may have resettled the cartridges and the seals when you removed the
head and then reinstalled the ink cartridges so they may be holding
better now.

Anyway, it's great to hear your printer is working for now.

Art

From: Arthur Entlich on
Purple is definitely produced when cyan and magenta mix. If they mix
equally you get a royal blue, if more magenta, you get shades of
red-purples if more cyan you get blue purples.

Art

From: measekite on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:09:50 -0800, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
> I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:
>
> http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

This is an example of a top posted advertisement.