From: Michael J Davis on
Tony <tonythebengaltiger(a)gmail.com> was inspired to say
>"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>Sorry for the cross-post, as I have posted in another NG, but
>>not getting any responses & I am desperate.
>>
>>I have own this Canon s900 photo printer for about 6 years &
>>during this time never gave me any problems.
>>It is basically only used for photos or when I need to print color
>>documents. I have a second printer I use that is black ink only.
>>
>>What is happening with the s900 is while not in use it seems the
>>color inks within their cartridges are changing colors so when I
>>print anything out it's no longer their true colors.
>>As well some are emptying out on their own, not by printing.
>>e.g. yellow has turn to orange, photo magenta turn to purple.
>>If I print just with black it comes out green.
>>
>>I've look inside or under printer, I don't see any leaks.
>>I am at a total lost & of course Canon is of no help.
>>Since it's no longer under warranty they don't care.
>>And yes I use only ink for canon, BCI-6.
>>
>>I hope that I was able to explain this well enough for someone with
>>far more knowledge than I, who maybe can help me to find a
>>way that I can fix this myself. At least give it a try before I do throw
>>this printer out. I really hate to since it was a gift & when it did work
>>it was a great color printer. My problem is I am a senior citizen &
>>can not afford to replace this printer or can I bring it somewhere to
>>get it fix for it will cost $100 just to look at it, not to mention how
>>much it'll cost if it could be fix.
>>Has anyone ever had this particular problem or similar, I would
>>like to hear from you?
>>Thank you
>>
>>Diane
>
>Diane
>I have seen something like this fairly often with Canon ink printers.
>What appears to happen is the ink transfers from one colour to another and I
>think it has something to do with the way the ink containers seal in the print
>head, some sort of capillary action.
>It has always been fixed by replacing the affected ink cartridges.
>Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
>From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
>suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
>turn yellow an orange colour.
>You will need to replace all of the cartridges that are affected, in this case
>any that are emptying out and the black and yellow cartridges. My guess is
>Black, Yellow and Cyan.
>Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
>contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
>until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
>cartridges.
>Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head cleaning
>cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.
> [...]

Excellent advice, Tony.

I have and use regularly the S9000, Diane's printer's big brother. And
I've had problems like that described.

One of the cartridges is leaking and the excess ink is moving around the
printhead, as you suggest, tony.

She doesn't need to replace them all, but certainly:-

1. remove them all, and place temporary seals on the ink outlets (after
wiping excess ink from around the seals.

2. Take out the print head and give it a rinse in plain water (be
careful - the ink can get everywhere!); I actually have some head
cleaning/rinsing fluid that I put in a set of old cartridges kept for
this purpose, and rinse through the head *before* removing it. That
helps to get rid of any blockages.

It may well be that the overflow ink colour is noticeable around the
head.

3. Dry loose water off the head and replace according to original
instructions.

4. Insert a new set of cartridges (if you've done this before you can
probably reuse those that definitely are not leaking).

5. Go through a couple of cleaning cycles (and head checks)
to ensure the ink is flowing freely. And run some prints asap (on cheap
paper until the colour is running at full strength.

When I had this problem a couple of years ago, I found that the 'print
on ordinary paper' gave good colours while the 'print on photo paper'
gave the problems you describe. It turned out that printing on ordinary
paper doesn't use the photo-magenta and photo-cyan tanks, and that's
where the problem was. It took me a long time (three months in all) to
track it down and get back to quality printing. (I even bought a new
print head - now kept as spare.)

But I'm pleased to say that my prints on my Canon won me the Photo soc
print trophy this year. So good ol' Canon!!

HIH

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

<><
The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
Dorethea Lange
<><
From: measekite on
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:02:25 -0600, Tony wrote:

> [...]
> Yellow shows this best because it is easy to see the contamination.
> From your description it is not certain which cartridge is at fault but I
> suspect Cyan. Black output with a green tinge indicates Cyan and Cyan could
> turn yellow an orange colour.
> You will need to replace all of the cartridges that are affected, in this case
> any that are emptying out and the black and yellow cartridges. My guess is
> Black, Yellow and Cyan.
> Unfortunately nothing can be done about the contamination so the ink in
> contaminated cartridges is wasted. You won't know whether this is successful
> until you try. If you can afford to do it you may wish to change all of the
> cartridges.
> Once you have installed new cartrdiges you will need to run some head cleaning
> cycles to remove any residual contamination in the printhead.

I do not believe I have ever heard of this when using Canon ink.
From: measekite on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 03:46:11 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Dec 20, 10:03 pm, "DianeLeMasson" > And thank you for your
> response.
>> Yes I did do a nozzle check & all the colors, while not totally perfect, did
>> print.
>> So it seems there is no clog, thank goodness!
>> I will say this, strange as it is, the yellow tank did print in true yellow,
>> not orange
>> as it is in the tank. Photo magenta did however come out purple again.
>

> This is where it becomes hard giving realistic advice. The basic

If it is too difficult then take a break.

From: Tony on
Michael J Davis <mjdusenet(a)trustsof.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>on ordinary paper' gave good colours while the 'print on photo paper'
>gave the problems you describe. It turned out that printing on ordinary
>paper doesn't use the photo-magenta and photo-cyan tanks, and that's
>where the problem was. It took me a long time (three months in all) to
>track it down and get back to quality printing. (I even bought a new
>print head - now kept as spare.)
>
>But I'm pleased to say that my prints on my Canon won me the Photo soc
>print trophy this year. So good ol' Canon!!
>
>HIH
>
>Mike
>--
>Michael J Davis
>
>Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman
>
><><
>The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.

Well worth trying all of that, the less cost the better.
BTW I have seen this with Canon and compatible cartrdiges. I believe it is a
seal issue (as you have mentioned).

Tony
MS MVP Printing Image

From: Alex on
"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>"Alex" <Alex(a)Alex.org> wrote in message
>> Tony <tonythebengaltiger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >"DianeLeMasson" <dianelemasson(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>> <snip>

>Greeting to you also, Alex,
>
>If it didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it either, but it did.
>First time I noticed that yellow changed colors it was to red & the second
>time
>now orange. Too, photo magenta turned to purple. How & why, I wish I knew.
>I have ask around & no one has ever of this before either.
>Not till I posted here that is. As Tony has said he has heard of this.
>I for one would love to know how these ink tanks became contaminated.
>This is something I rather avoid to worry about.
>
>Diane

Hello Diane,
what a strange thing to have happened to your printer! I own a Canon iP5200R
and I never paid attention to possible contamination of the ink cartridges.
From now on I will! At the moment I see nothing suspicious-looking.
Greetings, Alex