From: Thomas A. Russ on
Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche(a)math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net>:
>
> > I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
> >
> > From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
> >
> > openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
> >
> > I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> > wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box". Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> > bundle for OS X. What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
> > similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?

If you want one of those lisp systems, I would recommend sbcl or ccl.

For an easier start I would suggest the Clozure CCL integrated
application at http://trac.clozure.com/ccl
I would ignore the svn instructions and just download the *.dmg file and
use the pre-packaged application.

You could also use the LispWorks or Franz Allegro free editions.
http://www.lispworks.com/ http://www.franz.com/

> > Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...
>
> I am quite happy with sbcl myself, but several of the others may by just
> as good. I just haven't tried them much.
>
> For lisp in the box, I figure you need emacs and slime in addition. If
> you want to get sbcl, emacs and slime from ports, you should be able to
> do so in one fell swoop with:

Well, Aquamacs.app includes slime, so that makes it a bit easier.
If Aquamacs is installed, then configuring slime is a simple matter of
adding
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/local/bin/sbcl")
to your .emacs init file, with the proper location of the installed lisp
software that you want to use.

Aquamacs: http://aquamacs.org/

--
Thomas A. Russ, USC/Information Sciences Institute
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-11, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
>
> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
>
> openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
>
> I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> wherein he recommends "Lisp in a Box". Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> bundle for OS X. What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
> similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?
>
> Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...

Thanks to all that replied! Much appreciated...

Polling results: CCL=3 LWCL=2 SBCL=2

@Raffael
Sure OS X is GUI intensive, but I do _a lot_ of work from the terminal. My
newsreader is `slrn' ;) Thanks for the input!

@Ron G.
I was wondering about OpenMCL and CCL! Thanks for clearing that up... You
put CCL in the lead ;)

@Harald
Got slime and emacs! Just need to tweak my ~/.emacs file to populate
"slime-lisp-implementations"

@Thomas
Got Aquaemacs as well... love it.
You put CCL in front of the pack....

@Marco
Added your vote for LWCL. Thanks..

Is there any reason why I cannot / should not have more than one CL
implementation installed? Say something like SBCL and CCL. Any potential
conflicts?
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***
From: Aleksandr Vinokurov on
On Feb 11, 10:52 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
>
> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
>
> openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
>
> I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box".  Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> bundle for OS X.

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ -- Allegro CL & CCL are in bundles
for OS X.

I'm on reading this book too, and I've choosen Allegro CL. As I
understand Peter
Siebel uses standard CL language and does not digg in differencies of
implementations... So we will not find any GUI quirks in his book :)

Aleksandr
From: Raymond Toy on
On 2/11/10 11:16 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:

> Is there any reason why I cannot / should not have more than one CL
> implementation installed? Say something like SBCL and CCL. Any potential
> conflicts?

I have CCL, ecl, clisp, and CMUCL installed. (I mostly use CMUCL, but
the other three get used once in a while with maxima.) They all work
just fine. (I used to have Lispworks and Allegro too.)

Ray

From: Thomas A. Russ on
Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:

> Is there any reason why I cannot / should not have more than one CL
> implementation installed? Say something like SBCL and CCL. Any potential
> conflicts?

No particular reason.

I actually have a bunch installed: CCL, LW-Personal, SBCL, CMUCL,
CLISP, ABCL.

Normally I use sbcl or ccl for most operations. The others are for
compatibility testing of our software.

But they don't interfere with each other, so you can have as many as you
like. Although for someone just starting out, I would pick one and
stick with that for a while so that you can concentrate on learning lisp
and not spend time figuring out all the different interactions.

As long as you stay in standard common lisp, whatever you write will be
easily portable. The reason we have to do compatibility testing is for
cases around the edges where there is implementation-specific behavior
(for example, the exact details of logical pathname translation
definitions)

--
Thomas A. Russ, USC/Information Sciences Institute