From: Ron Garret on
In article <hl4ccp$5od$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Tim Bradshaw <tfb(a)tfeb.org> wrote:

> On 2010-02-12 04:16:29 +0000, Duke Normandin said:
>
> > Is there any reason why I cannot / should not have more than one CL
> > implementation installed? Say something like SBCL and CCL. Any potential
> > conflicts?
>
> No, and I think it's generally a good idea to do so: it helps a lot
> finding compatibility issues and so on.
>
> (I only currently have CCL but I'm not doing any serious development in Lisp)

I have CCL, SBCL and CLisp on hand. They're all good for different
things. CCL is my primary development platform because it has
everything, SBCL is good for when you need speed, and CLisp, well, it's
just good to have around, kind of like comfort food. :-)

rg
From: Paul Donnelly on
Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:

> I was leaning toward sbcl, but I think that it's a VM-based implementation -
> everything in an image! I like file-based...

SBCL works like every other CL.
From: Leo on
Paul Donnelly <paul-donnelly(a)sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:
>
>> I was leaning toward sbcl, but I think that it's a VM-based implementation -
>> everything in an image! I like file-based...
>
> SBCL works like every other CL.

I tried compiling sbcl on osx with threads and it had some failures
during testing. that was version 1.0.31 if I remember correctly.

Best wishes,

Leo
From: Aleksandr Vinokurov on
Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:

> On 2010-02-12, Aleksandr Vinokurov <aleksandr.vin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 11, 10:52 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/ -- Allegro CL & CCL are in bundles
>> for OS X.
>
> I wish that I had known about that site before I started digging
> around.. ;)

Actually I don't remember how I found it myself, seems there were no
link from the book, AFAIK.

>> I'm on reading this book too, and I've choosen Allegro CL. As I
>> understand Peter
>> Siebel uses standard CL language and does not digg in differencies of
>> implementations... So we will not find any GUI quirks in his book :)
>
> For no particular reason - other than I was visiting their site - I decided
> to install Allegro-CL. I see that it comes with both a GUI (allegro-express)
> and a terminal app (alisp).

I've read the company history
http://www.franz.com/about/company.history.lhtml and was attracted to
go
with its implementation for my start.

> I'm a heavy emacs user, so it was on board already. I installed `slime', so
> now I have all the bits-n-pieces to hack some Lisp. ;) I'm sure that I'll
> be test-driving other implementations eventually, but for the time being,
> I'll be heeding the wisdom expressed in this ng and stick with Allegro,
> unless I get to hate it big-time.

My experience in emacs started with the Lisp learning process :) Every
day I found smth. new, that's wonderful!

Best wishes,
Aleksandr
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-13, Leo <sdl.web(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Donnelly <paul-donnelly(a)sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:
>>
>>> I was leaning toward sbcl, but I think that it's a VM-based implementation -
>>> everything in an image! I like file-based...
>>
>> SBCL works like every other CL.
>
> I tried compiling sbcl on osx with threads and it had some failures
> during testing. that was version 1.0.31 if I remember correctly.

dnormandin@ ~
08:00 am >> port info sbcl

sbcl @1.0.33, Revision 4 (lang)
Variants: darwin_10_i386, darwin_8_i386, darwin_9_i386, [+]html,
powerpc, threads

development system for ANSI Common Lisp.
It provides an interactive environment including an
integrated native compiler,
interpreter, and debugger. (And it, and its generated
code, can also play nicely with
Unix when running noninteractively.)
Homepage: http://www.sbcl.org

Platforms: darwin
License: unknown
Maintainers: gwright(a)macports.org, waqar(a)macports.org,
easieste(a)macports.org

HTH on your next go-round ;)
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***