From: Duke Normandin on
I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.

From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:

openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)

I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box". Unfortunately, I don't see such a
bundle for OS X. What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?

Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***
From: Marco Antoniotti on
On Feb 11, 8:52 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
>
> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
>
> openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
>
> I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box".  Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> bundle for OS X.  What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
> similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?
>
> Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...

The Personal Edition of Lispworks is highly highly recommended.

Marco

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen on
+ Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net>:

> I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
>
> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
>
> openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
>
> I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box". Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> bundle for OS X. What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
> similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?
>
> Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...

I am quite happy with sbcl myself, but several of the others may by just
as good. I just haven't tried them much.

For lisp in the box, I figure you need emacs and slime in addition. If
you want to get sbcl, emacs and slime from ports, you should be able to
do so in one fell swoop with:

port install slime +sbcl

or replace sbcl with one of the others available. See the output of

port info slime

Add +app if you want it to build emacs-app instead of emacs.

- Harald
From: Ron Garret on
In article <ceZcn.65398$PH1.40153(a)edtnps82>,
Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> wrote:

> I have some newLISP experience, but new to LISP.
>
> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:
>
> openmcl, sbcl, gcl (GNU), ecl, clisp, abcl (java), and ccl (clozure)
>
> I'm reading and learning from, "Practical Common Lisp", by Peter Seibel,
> wherein he recomends "Lisp in a Box". Unfortunately, I don't see such a
> bundle for OS X. What bits-n-pieces would I need to cobble something
> similar on my own? Or is it even worth doing so?
>
> Recommendations please, would be appreciated. TIA...

OpenMCL and CCL are the same thing. CCL is the more up-to-date
monicker. And IMO it's the hands-down winner among the choices you list.

rg
From: Raffael Cavallaro on
On 2010-02-11 14:52:40 -0500, Duke Normandin said:

> From the OS X ports collection, I have the choice of installing:

Let's be very clear here. The principal adavantage of Mac OS X is its
GUI facilities, both from a user perspective, and from a programmer's
perspective. Therefore, any common lisp on Mac OS X should:

1. Use the Cocoa GUI facilities for its IDE
2. Allow you, the common lisp programmer, to easily use the Cocoa GUI
facilities in your common lisp programs.

That said, only 2 common lisps let you both programm common lisp in a
Cocoa GUI IDE, and easily use Cocoa GUI facilities in your common lisp
programs. These are:

1. Clozure Common Lisp, open source, free of charge, at:
<http://trac.clozure.com/ccl#GettingClozureCL>

2. LispWorks Common Lisp, commercial, but with a free personal edition
available at:
<http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html>

They are both excellent, and I have used both for many years.

warmest regards,

Ralph

--
Raffael Cavallaro