From: Paul Donnelly on
Leo <sdl.web(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Donnelly <paul-donnelly(a)sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:
>>
>>> I was leaning toward sbcl, but I think that it's a VM-based implementation -
>>> everything in an image! I like file-based...
>>
>> SBCL works like every other CL.
>
> I tried compiling sbcl on osx with threads and it had some failures
> during testing. that was version 1.0.31 if I remember correctly.

SBCL's view on source files is the same as other implementations', that
is.
From: Paul Donnelly on
Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:

> On 2010-02-13, Paul Donnelly <paul-donnelly(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:
>>
>>> I was leaning toward sbcl, but I think that it's a VM-based implementation -
>>> everything in an image! I like file-based...
>>
>> SBCL works like every other CL.
>
> Meaning? That it is VM-based like all others? or file-based like all others?
> Remember - I don't know squat about CL! Just started the other day. ;)

Sorry, silly assumption on my part. Source files are the dominant
approach to writing and loading code. CL differs from some languages in
that code is loaded into a running image (not necessarily a virtual
machine) rather than being compiled into a standalone executable, so the
question is muddied. The in-memory image can usually be dumped to a file
and reloaded to pick up where you left off or speed startup. Lisp code,
however, is usually stored in plain text files, rather than in a
Smalltalk-style in-image database.

Of course you can do what you like, as long as "what you like" doesn't
involve assuming that your Lisp will store loaded code in a form
suitable for source storage, though it might include storing source
in-image yourself.
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-13, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I would hazard a guess that you are getting sidetracked on
> non-issues. Just use the standard tools and start programming, and stop
> worrying about these things.

I think that you are dead-on correct! After reading the last 10 posts in
this thread, I'm more confused that when I first asked the question. ;)
Never mind, that _my_ problem, nobody else's. Like you say I just start
reading and hacking away -- what can go wrong? There's always another Lisp
around the corner. ;)
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Slobodan Blazeski on
On Feb 13, 2:15 pm, Aleksandr Vinokurov <aleksandr....(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> writes:
> > On 2010-02-12, Aleksandr Vinokurov <aleksandr....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Feb 11, 10:52 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>
> >>http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/-- Allegro CL & CCL are in bundles
> >> for OS X.
>
> > I wish that I had known about that site before I started digging
> > around.. ;)
>
> Actually I don't remember how I found it myself, seems there were no
> link from the book, AFAIK.
>

> >> I'm on reading this book too, and I've choosen Allegro CL. As I
> >> understand Peter
> >> Siebel uses standard CL language and does not digg in differencies of
> >> implementations... So we will not find any GUI quirks in his book :)
>
> > For no particular reason - other than I was visiting their site - I decided
> > to install Allegro-CL. I see that it comes with both a GUI (allegro-express)
> > and a terminal app (alisp).
>
> I've read the company historyhttp://www.franz.com/about/company.history.lhtmland was attracted to
> go
> with its implementation for my start.
They have very cool technologies in AllegroCache and AllegroGraph but
be prepared to shell some serious money.

Slobodan
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-14, Paul Donnelly <paul-donnelly(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)nospam.net> writes:

>>> SBCL works like every other CL.
>>
>> Meaning? That it is VM-based like all others? or file-based like all others?
>> Remember - I don't know squat about CL! Just started the other day. ;)
>
> Sorry, silly assumption on my part. Source files are the dominant
> approach to writing and loading code. CL differs from some languages in
> that code is loaded into a running image (not necessarily a virtual
> machine) rather than being compiled into a standalone executable, so the
> question is muddied. The in-memory image can usually be dumped to a file
> and reloaded to pick up where you left off or speed startup. Lisp code,
> however, is usually stored in plain text files, rather than in a
> Smalltalk-style in-image database.
>
> Of course you can do what you like, as long as "what you like" doesn't
> involve assuming that your Lisp will store loaded code in a form
> suitable for source storage, though it might include storing source
> in-image yourself.

Thanks! I'm slowly getting the hang of the way Lisp(s) operate. My past
experience has been with Perl, PHP, TCL/Tk, some COBOL, and some Forth. I do
like newLISP though.