From: Roger Pack on

>>> http://faithpromotingrumors.org/incoming/ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32.7z

> Ok I've unzipped this thing now how do I install it? And what would I do
> if you didn't make me this? I'd really like to get the original problem
> fixed and figure out how to get the 1.8.x source compiled and working as
> in that tutorial. I'd like to know how to get the proper files in the
> right place and understand what I'm doing not "click one button and have
> it magically work".

You don't need to install it, just cd into the
"ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32\bin" directory and run ruby/irb or what
not (or add that folder to your PATH).

> I don't want to start getting sidetracked. How can I build the 1.8.x
> source properly with tk and avoid this error? That was my original
> question. I also need to get this working on my Unix machine next (or in
> parallel). As far as I know there is no "one-click installer" for that.
> I need to know what goes where. Aren't there any install instructions
> anywhere?

Unfortunately your original quest was to build ruby using VC with the Tk
extension installed. I've never done that. The "main line" ruby
installer has moved to mingw so almost *nobody* does that anymore. You
are treading in difficult waters and unless you want to tread alone, I
would recommend going with a more standard approach. The directions in
that tutorial are out of date. Why punish yourself?

If you follow my instructions *already given you* for building it with
mingw (search for "ruby18"), it will work for both ruby18 or ruby19,
depositing a working ruby into sandbox/ruby_mingw for you to work with.

Currently there isn't a one click distributable for 1.9 that has Tk, but
it's in the works. If you want a one click distributable for 1.8 that
has Tk, search the above threads for "RC2"

GL!
-r

From: Rich Leblanc on
Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
> From: Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:16:27 +0900
>> This is getting more and more confusing. How do I check check
>> consistency of architecture between Ruby and Tcl/Tk if it's 32 bit or
>> 64? I thought 32 bit apps can run on a 64 bit machine. This tutorial is
>
> # Because I'm not familiar with development on Windows, the following
> # may be wrong.
>
> On Ruby/Tk, Ruby links tcltklib.so and links dynamic link librariies
> of Tcl/Tk. If Ruby's core is a 32bit binary and Tcl/Tk DLLs are 64bit
> binaries, Ruby cannot link Tcl/Tk DLLs.
> It's not about OS, but consistency between an executable and DLLs.
>
> Which version of ActiveTcl did you download?
> If its platform is "Windows (x86)", it is 32bit version of Tcl/Tk.
> But if you download "Windows (64-bit, x64)", then 64bit.

I have installed ActiveTcl 8.5.8.2 (64-bit)

> How does "ruby.exe -v" describe?
> If it includes "x86-mswin32", then it is a 32bit executable.
> Else if includes "x64-mswin64", then a 64bit.

Ah-ha, it says; ruby 1.8.7 (2009-12-24 patchlevel 248)
[i386-mswin32_100]
That's it!

> If your Tcl/Tk is 64bit and your compiler can make 64bit binaries,
> please try "--target=x64-mswin64" configure option.
> If your compiler can make 32bit binaries only, please download and
> install a 32bit version of ActiveTcl.

I installed the 32 bit versions but now having errors with the Microsoft
compiler. So dealing with that now.

From: Rich Leblanc on
Michael Fellinger wrote:

>> parallel). As far as I know there is no "one-click installer" for that.
>> I need to know what goes where. Aren't there any install instructions
>> anywhere?
>
> gem install ffi-tk

I'm sorry I don't know what this means. Is this a command I'm supposed
to run from a Unix command line? A little more info please.

> That should work on any platform, be it 64bit, 32bit, windows, linux,
> MRI, or JRuby.
>
> The issue is that all existing tutorials are written with ruby-tk in
> mind,

that's fine, that's what I'm trying to learn.

some of the API is different.

I don't know what you mean. Elaborate, more than a one-liner please.

From: Rich Leblanc on
Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
> From: Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:03:41 +0900
>> Actually I would like to get this fixed on my Unix machine too. I'm
>> getting this same error. I have tcl8.5.8 installed and Ruby 1.8.7. How
>> can I get it to work on Unix? Maybe if I get that working I'll
>
> Please tell me the directories of your Tcl/Tk headers/libraries, and
> configure options which you gave at first step of compiling.
> Probably, ext/tk/extconf.rb outputs some messages about searching and
> testing Tcl/Tk libraries (and {tcl,tk}Config.sh) during make steps.
> Please tell me the messages, too.

On a FreeBSD 8.0 machine I went to \usr\ports\lang\tcl85 and as root
ran; make install clean. This installed tcl 8.5. On command line if I
run; tclsh85 I get tcl prompt. Then if i type; info patchlevel it shows;
8.5.8.

Now I go to usr\ports\lang\ruby18 and run; make install clean. This
installs ruby 1.8. If I type; ruby -v at the command line I get:

ruby 1.8.7 (2009-12-24 patchlevel 248) [amd64-freebsd8]

If I start irb and type; require 'tk' I get the error:
LoadError: no such file to load -- tk

Everything is in default locations. Ruby and tcl executables are in
\usr\local\bin. I don't know where the installer put anything else.

From: Rich Leblanc on
Roger Pack wrote:

>> Ok I've unzipped this thing now how do I install it? And what would I do
>> if you didn't make me this? I'd really like to get the original problem
>> fixed and figure out how to get the 1.8.x source compiled and working as
>> in that tutorial. I'd like to know how to get the proper files in the
>> right place and understand what I'm doing not "click one button and have
>> it magically work".
>
> You don't need to install it, just cd into the
> "ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32\bin" directory and run ruby/irb or what
> not (or add that folder to your PATH).

Ok, gotcha. did that.

>> I don't want to start getting sidetracked. How can I build the 1.8.x
>> source properly with tk and avoid this error? That was my original
>> question. I also need to get this working on my Unix machine next (or in
>> parallel). As far as I know there is no "one-click installer" for that.
>> I need to know what goes where. Aren't there any install instructions
>> anywhere?
>
> Unfortunately your original quest was to build ruby using VC with the Tk
> extension installed. I've never done that. The "main line" ruby
> installer has moved to mingw so almost *nobody* does that anymore.

Ok that's fine, so what are people doing now?

> You are treading in difficult waters and unless you want to tread alone, I
> would recommend going with a more standard approach. The directions in
> that tutorial are out of date. Why punish yourself?

I didn't know it was out of date. That's the one I always find when I
search for "ruby tutorial". I'd be happy to dump VC and go with mingw.

> Currently there isn't a one click distributable for 1.9 that has Tk, but
> it's in the works.
> If you want a one click distributable for 1.8 that
> has Tk, search the above threads for "RC2"

I really don't care if it's 1.8 or 1.9. I just want to do GUI
programming with ruby/tk.

It sounds like the options are:
1. compile tk into ruby 1.8 (with mingw)
2. use 1.8 one-click installer that has tk
3. Compile tk into 1.9.
4. Use the 1.9 you made me until a 1.9 one-click installer comes out
with tk.

Is there any reason to stick with 1.8? I only did because that tutorial
said to. If I should forget 1.8 and move to 1.9 that's fine I don't
care. I prefer to have the latest anyway.