From: Luis Lavena on
On Jul 22, 3:23 pm, Rich Leblanc <rl...(a)pacbell.net> wrote:

> I'm following this tutorial:http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/
>
> It says:
> "If you’re using Windows, open fxri from the Ruby section of your Start
> Menu."
>
> I don't have that. I guess it's because I just copied your directory
> tree over and didn't install it the "right" way. See? this is why I want
> to learn to do things the correct way.

In Ruby there is no "correct" or incorrect way, there are different
paths to achieve the same or similar results.

What you're reading is a reference to FXRI, which was part of One-
Click Installer, but is no longer part of the newer installer, which
are lean packages around vanilla ruby.

If you copied or extracted an independent package (no installer) then
is logical you will not have menu to look for options.

If you install RubyInstaller, any of the versions, you can click
"Interactive Ruby" and you will be able to use IRB.

Or from the command line, just call "irb"

--
Luis Lavena
From: Roger Pack on

>> Thanks Roger. I'm up and running now on Windows using the one you made.
>> I'm going to read up on the ruby installer. Now I just need to get it
>> going on Unix, same problem.
>>
>> Rich
>
> I copied your directory tree over and it works but in windows when you
> install things doesn't it have to make registry entries or anything
> besides copying files and folders? Isn't that what installers do? Or
> does Ruby not require any of that? To install Ruby is it just a matter
> of copying files and folders? I'm still reading about the installer but
> it's not making any sense yet.

Ruby on windows is built to be self contained, and you can move it all
over the place and just use it.
You *can* get an install that uses the registry (and hence can't be
moved) over at rubyinstaller.org. The package I gave you isn't like
that.
-r

From: Hidetoshi NAGAI on
From: Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:47:35 +0900
> > Probably, ext/tk/extconf.rb outputs some messages about searching and
> > testing Tcl/Tk libraries (and {tcl,tk}Config.sh) during make steps.
> > Please tell me the messages, too.
>
> On a FreeBSD 8.0 machine I went to \usr\ports\lang\tcl85 and as root
> ran; make install clean. This installed tcl 8.5. On command line if I

I need the messages at ext/tk step of "make".
--
Hidetoshi NAGAI (nagai(a)ai.kyutech.ac.jp)
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Kyushu Institute of Technology

From: Rich Leblanc on
Roger Pack wrote:

>>> Thanks Roger. I'm up and running now on Windows using the one you made.
>>> I'm going to read up on the ruby installer. Now I just need to get it
>>> going on Unix, same problem.
>>>
>>> Rich
>>
>> I copied your directory tree over and it works but in windows when you
>> install things doesn't it have to make registry entries or anything
>> besides copying files and folders? Isn't that what installers do? Or
>> does Ruby not require any of that? To install Ruby is it just a matter
>> of copying files and folders? I'm still reading about the installer but
>> it's not making any sense yet.
>
> Ruby on windows is built to be self contained, and you can move it all
> over the place and just use it.
> You *can* get an install that uses the registry (and hence can't be
> moved) over at rubyinstaller.org. The package I gave you isn't like
> that.
> -r

Yes, I know. How can I build Ruby that includes tk and an installer to
install it to windows? Since there's no "right" or "wrong" way then how
am I supposed to know what to do?

From: Rich Leblanc on
Roger Pack wrote:
> Rich Leblanc wrote:
>> Roger Pack wrote:

> I downloaded 1.9.1p429 from http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
> then downloaded "◦Ruby/Tk environment" from from
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/210186#new

Ok, I got those.

> and unpackaged it to the appropriate directory.

What does that mean? You ran the Ruby installer to create a directory
tree on windows, then copied "◦Ruby/Tk environment" to the "appropriate
directory" (whatever that is) then gave a copy of the whole resultant
directory tree to me? What is the "appropriate directory"? If you use
explicit paths it would be a lot easier for me to understand.