From: Rich Leblanc on
I'm trying to install Ruby on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine following this
guide;

http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/install.html#installwin

After setting the environment variables and compiling I get this error:

>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1
from :0

I've googled for an answer but only find lot's of other people with the
same problem but no answer. Any ideas why it doesn't work or how to fix
it?

From: Roger Pack on

>>irb
> irb(main):001:0> require 'tk'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
> from (irb):1:in `require'
> from (irb):1
> from :0

This means your ruby was built without the tk extension built.

Useful refs:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/GUI_Toolkit_Modules/Tk
http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tutorials_core/tk (availability).
Cheers.
-r

From: Rich Leblanc on
Roger Pack wrote:
> This means your ruby was built without the tk extension built.
>
> Useful refs:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/GUI_Toolkit_Modules/Tk
> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tutorials_core/tk (availability).
> Cheers.
> -r

Yes I know, but why not? Neither of those links was helpful.

From: Eric Christopherson on
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>> This means your ruby was built without the tk extension built.
>>
>> Useful refs:
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/GUI_Toolkit_Modules/Tk
>> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tutorials_core/tk (availability).
>> Cheers.
>> -r
>
> Yes I know, but why not? Neither of those links was helpful.

How did you install Ruby? Using RubyInstaller? That doesn't include Tk
(because, as I understand it, it's currently impossible to
automatically build and package Tk along with it).

Assuming you installed Tk, you can compile a gem called tk_as_gem that
will work with your existing Tk installation. You'll need the Ruby
development kit (MSys tools, available from http://rubyinstaller.org/)
to compile it.

From: Rich Leblanc on
Eric Christopherson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Roger Pack wrote:
>>> This means your ruby was built without the tk extension built.
>>>
>>> Useful refs:
>>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/GUI_Toolkit_Modules/Tk
>>> http://wiki.github.com/rdp/ruby_tutorials_core/tk (availability).
>>> Cheers.
>>> -r
>>
>> Yes I know, but why not? Neither of those links was helpful.
>
> How did you install Ruby? Using RubyInstaller? That doesn't include Tk
> (because, as I understand it, it's currently impossible to
> automatically build and package Tk along with it).
>
> Assuming you installed Tk, you can compile a gem called tk_as_gem that
> will work with your existing Tk installation. You'll need the Ruby
> development kit (MSys tools, available from http://rubyinstaller.org/)
> to compile it.

Like the first post says;

I'm trying to install Ruby on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine following this
guide;

http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/install.html#installwin

I installed ActiveState ActiveTCL which includes tk. I can run wish85
successfully. Tcl/tk is installed.

Like the first post says, after setting environment variables and
compiling according to the instructions it doesn't work. And by that I
mean that when I run require 'tk' from the irb it gives the error
message;

LoadError: no such file to load -- tk