From: Rich Leblanc on
Rich Leblanc wrote:

>>> Ok I've unzipped this thing now how do I install it? And what would I do
>>> if you didn't make me this? I'd really like to get the original problem
>>> fixed and figure out how to get the 1.8.x source compiled and working as
>>> in that tutorial. I'd like to know how to get the proper files in the
>>> right place and understand what I'm doing not "click one button and have
>>> it magically work".
>>
>> You don't need to install it, just cd into the
>> "ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32\bin" directory and run ruby/irb or what
>> not (or add that folder to your PATH).

Thanks Roger. I'm up and running now on Windows using the one you made.
I'm going to read up on the ruby installer. Now I just need to get it
going on Unix, same problem.

Rich

From: Charles Oliver Nutter on
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Michael Fellinger
<m.fellinger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> gem install ffi-tk
>
> That should work on any platform, be it 64bit, 32bit, windows, linux,
> MRI, or JRuby.
>
> The issue is that all existing tutorials are written with ruby-tk in
> mind, some of the API is different.

Cool, I didn't know about this. How complete is it?

- Charlie

From: Michael Fellinger on
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter
<headius(a)headius.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Michael Fellinger
> <m.fellinger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> gem install ffi-tk
>>
>> That should work on any platform, be it 64bit, 32bit, windows, linux,
>> MRI, or JRuby.
>>
>> The issue is that all existing tutorials are written with ruby-tk in
>> mind, some of the API is different.
>
> Cool, I didn't know about this. How complete is it?

It's complete, covers all of the tk API. It's the same project I
mentioned a few months ago in IRC.
Haven't tried all the functionality recently on JRuby, but it should
with --1.9 for most things.

--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC

From: Rich Leblanc on
Rich Leblanc wrote:
> Rich Leblanc wrote:

>>> You don't need to install it, just cd into the
>>> "ruby-1.9.1-p429-i386-mingw32\bin" directory and run ruby/irb or what
>>> not (or add that folder to your PATH).
>>

> Thanks Roger. I'm up and running now on Windows using the one you made.
> I'm going to read up on the ruby installer. Now I just need to get it
> going on Unix, same problem.
>
> Rich

I copied your directory tree over and it works but in windows when you
install things doesn't it have to make registry entries or anything
besides copying files and folders? Isn't that what installers do? Or
does Ruby not require any of that? To install Ruby is it just a matter
of copying files and folders? I'm still reading about the installer but
it's not making any sense yet.

From: Rich Leblanc on
Rich Leblanc wrote:
> Rich Leblanc wrote:
>> Rich Leblanc wrote:

>> Thanks Roger. I'm up and running now on Windows using the one you made.
>> I'm going to read up on the ruby installer. Now I just need to get it
>> going on Unix, same problem.
>>
>> Rich
>

> I copied your directory tree over and it works but in windows when you
> install things doesn't it have to make registry entries or anything
> besides copying files and folders? Isn't that what installers do? Or
> does Ruby not require any of that? To install Ruby is it just a matter
> of copying files and folders? I'm still reading about the installer but
> it's not making any sense yet.

I'm following this tutorial:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/

It says:
"If you're using Windows, open fxri from the Ruby section of your Start
Menu."

I don't have that. I guess it's because I just copied your directory
tree over and didn't install it the "right" way. See? this is why I want
to learn to do things the correct way.