From: Roger Pack on
Rich Leblanc wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
>> Rich Leblanc wrote:
>>> Roger Pack wrote:
>
>> I downloaded 1.9.1p429 from http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
>> then downloaded "◦Ruby/Tk environment" from from
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/210186#new
>
> Ok, I got those.
>
>> and unpackaged it to the appropriate directory.
>
> What does that mean? You ran the Ruby installer to create a directory
> tree on windows, then copied "◦Ruby/Tk environment" to the "appropriate
> directory" (whatever that is) then gave a copy of the whole resultant
> directory tree to me? What is the "appropriate directory"? If you use
> explicit paths it would be a lot easier for me to understand.

I unzipped a .7z file from rubyinstaller,
then followed the instructions on
http://www.dumbo.ai.kyutech.ac.jp/~nagai/RubyTk/?Ruby/Tk-Kit

specifically "Ruby/Tk environment (please extract at RubyInstaller's
lib/ruby/1.9.1) :
rubytk-simple-w-img_ext-20100523-for-RubyInstaller191.zip"

HTH.
-r

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jul 22, 6:46 pm, Rich Leblanc <rl...(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> Roger Pack wrote:
> > Rich Leblanc wrote:
> >> Roger Pack wrote:
> > I downloaded 1.9.1p429 fromhttp://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/
> > then downloaded "◦Ruby/Tk environment" from from
> >http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/210186#new
>
> Ok, I got those.
>
> > and unpackaged it to the appropriate directory.
>
> What does that mean? You ran the Ruby installer to create a directory
> tree on windows, then copied "◦Ruby/Tk environment" to the "appropriate
> directory" (whatever that is) then gave a copy of the whole resultant
> directory tree to me? What is the "appropriate directory"? If you use
> explicit paths it would be a lot easier for me to understand.

He can't use explicit paths in the example because he doesn't know
your setup.

You need to find your way too, don't expect receive a 100% to the
letter type of instructions since you're not providing enough details.

I believe you are getting over complicated and Roger's instructions
are not helping you because the instructions expect certain knowledge
of build tools and building Ruby.

You should try the following, and if doesn't work, start a new thread
instead of this eternal back and forth between so many instructions:

1) Download Ruby 1.9.1 installers form RubyInstaller website.

http://rubyinstaller.org/

2) Install the Development Kit, accessible from the same website and
follow the instructions detailed here:

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/development-kit

3) Install Tcl, or if you have already installed, figure it out where
it was installed in your system.

4) Take note of Tcl location and add the binaries location to the
PATH:

SET PATH=<path to Tcl bin directory>;%PATH%

5) Install tk-win gem:

gem install tk-win

6) Start using it

require 'rubygems'
require 'tk'

--
Luis Lavena
From: Rich Leblanc on
Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
> From: Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:47:35 +0900
>> > Probably, ext/tk/extconf.rb outputs some messages about searching and
>> > testing Tcl/Tk libraries (and {tcl,tk}Config.sh) during make steps.
>> > Please tell me the messages, too.
>>
>> On a FreeBSD 8.0 machine I went to \usr\ports\lang\tcl85 and as root
>> ran; make install clean. This installed tcl 8.5. On command line if I
>
> I need the messages at ext/tk step of "make".

Here's all the output from the terminal:

# make install clean
===> Installing for tcl-8.5.8
===> tcl-8.5.8 depends on file:
/usr/local/lib/tcl8/8.5/tcltest-2.3.2.tm - found
===> Generating temporary packing list
===> Checking if lang/tcl85 already installed
Installing libtcl85.so.1 to /usr/local/lib/
Installing libtcl85.a
Installing tclsh as /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.5
Installing tclConfig.sh to /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/
Installing libtclstub85.a to /usr/local/lib/
Installing message catalogs
Creating msgs
Making directory /usr/local/include/tcl8.5/generic
Making directory /usr/local/include/tcl8.5/unix
Making directory /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/opt0.4
Making directory /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/http1.0
Making directory /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/encoding
Installing header files
Installing library files to /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5
Installing library http1.0 directory
Installing library opt0.4 directory
Installing library encoding directory
Installing time zone data
Creating tzdata
Creating Australia
Creating Canada
Creating Arctic
Creating Asia
Creating Africa
Creating America
Creating North_Dakota
Creating Indiana
Creating Kentucky
Creating Argentina
Creating Indian
Creating SystemV
Creating Pacific
Creating Etc
Creating Chile
Creating US
Creating Brazil
Creating Atlantic
Creating Mexico
Creating Antarctica
Creating Europe
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/tcl8.5
install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/lang/tcl85/work/tcl8.5.8/unix/../doc/man.macros
/usr/local/share/tcl8.5
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/man/man1
install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/ports/lang/tcl85/work/tcl8.5.8/unix/../doc/tclsh.1
/usr/local/man/man1/tclsh8.5.1
Installing and cross-linking C API (.3) docs
Installing and cross-linking command (.n) docs
**********
IMPORTANT:
**********
tclConfig.sh in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh
tcl.h in /usr/local/include/tcl8.5/tcl.h
tclDecls.h in /usr/local/include/tcl8.5/tclDecls.h
There are NOT default place, but good place to avoid
conflicting with another version of Tcl/Tks.
===> Compressing manual pages for tcl-8.5.8
===> Running ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
===> Registering installation for tcl-8.5.8
===> SECURITY REPORT:
This port has installed the following files which may act as
network
servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the
system.
/usr/local/lib/libtcl85.so.1

If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a
security
risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security
of
ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make
deinstall'
to deinstall the port if this is a concern.

For more information, and contact details about the security
status of this software, see the following webpage:
http://www.tcl.tk/
===> Cleaning for tcl-8.5.8

From: Roger Pack on
> I need the messages at ext/tk step of "make".

>Here's all the output from the terminal:

> # make install clean
>===> Installing for tcl-8.5.8
>===> tcl-8.5.8 depends on file:
>/usr/local/lib/tcl8/8.5/tcltest-2.3.2.tm - found

He wanted the messages from the output of ruby/ext/tk step of "make"

From: Hidetoshi NAGAI on
From: Rich Leblanc <rl001(a)pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:36:07 +0900
> > I need the messages at ext/tk step of "make".
>
> Here's all the output from the terminal:

Ah, I'm sorry. It may be ambiguous.

During compiling *Ruby*, make-process creates each library under
<ruby-source>/ext directory (ext/tk is one of them).
Then, the process calls "miniruby extconf.rb".

<ruby-source>/ext/tk/extconf.rb search Tcl/Tk libraries.
And then, it outputs messages about search steps.
I need the messages.
It gives me hints about why cannot find available libraries.
--
Hidetoshi NAGAI (nagai(a)ai.kyutech.ac.jp)
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Kyushu Institute of Technology