From: J G Miller on
On Saturday, July 17th, 2010 at 06:21:06h -0700, James Romeon wrote:

> Slim said they do not support the latest version of Perl.

All depends on what they mean by "latest" and "version" and "support".

> Do the CPAN modules have to match the perl version?

Which PERL version?

> How does one use CPAN?

Very easily.

As root enter the command cpan. If it is not found then you will
have to install the cpan package.

The first thing to do is to upgrade

cpan> upgrade

then

cpan> install "module_name"

When running cpan for the first time, it will ask for quite a lot
of configuration information, but most of this can be set to
the default value suggested.

It is best to install "custom" installed modules under /usr/local
so as not to contaminate the purity of the installed openSUSE package
hierarchy under /usr.
From: Darrell Stec on
J G Miller wrote:

> On Saturday, July 17th, 2010 at 06:21:06h -0700, James Romeon wrote:
>
>> Slim said they do not support the latest version of Perl.
>
> All depends on what they mean by "latest" and "version" and "support".
>
>> Do the CPAN modules have to match the perl version?
>
> Which PERL version?
>
>> How does one use CPAN?
>
> Very easily.
>
> As root enter the command cpan. If it is not found then you will
> have to install the cpan package.
>
> The first thing to do is to upgrade
>
> cpan> upgrade
>
> then
>
> cpan> install "module_name"
>
> When running cpan for the first time, it will ask for quite a lot
> of configuration information, but most of this can be set to
> the default value suggested.
>
> It is best to install "custom" installed modules under /usr/local
> so as not to contaminate the purity of the installed openSUSE package
> hierarchy under /usr.

Great tips.

--
Later,
Darrell
From: J G Miller on
On Saturday, July 17th, 2010 at 14:17:45h -0400, Darrell Stec wrote:

> Great tips.

I just hope that this will get his Squeezebox server working again.

Incidentally, is it possible to use MediaTomb as a media server
for Squeezebox or not?

I used to be very keen on uShare as a media server, but the project
has died, and decided on MediaTomb as a replacement.

Anybody else out there using MediaTomb with a Noxon audio device perchance?

From: J G Miller on
On Sunday, July 18th, 2010 at 12:03:27h -0700, James Rome observed:

> cpan is doing lots of things.

Yes, when you first start it up, it get down to business and does
lots of things, almost all of which will be put under /root/.cpan
assuming you are running as root.

> I hope it does not screw up 11.3.

Why should it, it it is kept separate from /usr ?

> If I install a new module, how do I specify that it go into /usr/local?

When you fired up CPAN for the first time, it asked you where you
wanted things to be installed, and /usr/local is the default, which
I presume you accepted.

Incidentally for those who are not familiar, CPAN is the repository
of PERL modules

Comprehensive Perl Archive Network <http://www.cpan.ORG/>

I wonder if the were inspired to chose the CPAN name from CTAN (the TeX
equivalent).

So to make life easier for everybody, CPAN developed the CPAN interface
which downloads the tar.gz archives, unpacks them, builds the module,
installs the module, and most importantly tests it as well.

If you want further information try

cpan> help

if you have not already done so.

> What I did so far is to download the latest CPAN modules into the
> squeezeboxserver source directory.

If they were located under /usr/local, they would be available for
everybody, and should have been picked up by the squeezebox building
procedure.

> The build script was happy until I got to mysql. It wants an old mysql
> tar file.

But what does it want to do with it?

> But I am worried that two versions of mysql will screw things up on
> my system.

Do you mean two mysql daemons? Are you running one anyways for other
things?
From: jamesromeongmail.com on
On Jul 18, 3:15 pm, J G Miller <mil...(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:

> > The build script was happy until I got to mysql. It wants an old mysql
> > tar file.
>
> But what does it want to do with it?
>
> > But I am worried that two versions of mysql will screw things up on
> > my system.
>
> Do you mean two mysql daemons?  Are you running one anyways for other
> things?

Yes, I have the SUSE mysql running. But the above script wants to
install lots of other things also. expat, libjpeg, freetype, gd,...

Thanks,
Jim
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2