From: John Kloosterman on
First of all - let me say I am a long time SUSE user. I
bought SUSE several times years ago (when it was still sold
in a box - I think it was version 5.2 and after that 6.4 or
something), so this is not a simple rant or bashing or
something.

Now for my problem.

Over the years I tried different distro's and used SUSE from
time to time. Lately I got once interested again and tried
to install SUSE.

Installation was a breeze. No problems at all - until...

I tried to update. I used yast and clicked on the update
button. Update started and I waited, and waited, and waited,
and waited etc, etc.

After 180 minutes (TWO HOURS) only 20% to 30% of the updates
where retrieved and installed.

Needless to say I aborted everyhing and checked my settings?
Disabled ipv6, disabled firewall, gave my network card a
fixed IP adress, checked my router, connected to the
internet using DMZ (yes dangerous, but what else could I
do?) and combinations of all these settings.

Nothing worked.

I tried to look in yast if I could select another (faster)
mirror, but there seems not to be any mechanism to do so.
Maybe I am stupid and overlooked, but although this
mechanism is present in almost all distro's it does not seem
to be in openSUSE

Finally I gave up in total frustration and a sad feeling I
was not able to use my old favorite again.

By the way - when using Ubuntu, Mandriva, Gentoo, PClinuxOS,
Fedora etc. all updates where done in 10~20 minutes, so I am
sure there is nothing wrong with my internet connection.

Now 10.3 is out and I was hoping things would be improved,
so I tried the install again. I used the GNOME live CD (no
particular reason - I am even a KDE fan), and Installed.

Install went without any problem, until - yes you guessed it
- updating. The update was only a few files, so it wont take
that long right?

WRONG!!!!

It took 70 minutes (Yes 1 hour and 10 minutes) to only
update a few files.

Now I know when a distro just is released mirrors can be
busy, but this is unacceptable and unworkable.

I am about to give up to openSUSE once again, but will try
to find an answer here as a last resort.

Has anyone met the same problems, and... more important -
what is the solution to this frustrating problem.

Thanks a lot...

John.
From: John Kloosterman on
On 07/16/2010 01:33 PM, houghi wrote:
> John Kloosterman wrote:
>> I tried to look in yast if I could select another (faster)
>> mirror, but there seems not to be any mechanism to do so.
>> Maybe I am stupid and overlooked, but although this
>> mechanism is present in almost all distro's it does not seem
>> to be in openSUSE
>
> 1) http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/11.3.html
> 2) YaST2, software, software repositories.
> 3) Edit the ones in YaST2 to one on the mirror list
>
> Longer explanation:
>
> !!!Important!!!
> Only change it if you have SEVERE speed problems. Using the generic ones
> will be better. It will update when needed. e.g. some mirrors do not yet
> have 11.3 and that could be the fastest for you once they get them and
> you will nmiss out on that.

Hmm.. So I have to examine what are the ones that are
updated? No problem I guess, just a bit more work..

> On we go:
> There you will see something like:
> 99 (Default) V V openSUSE-11.3-Oss http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/oss/
>
> On (1) select a fast mirror. Note that just because you are in a
> country, that does not mean those will be the fastest. I use a
> different cuntry as the one in mine does a cap.
> So select the mirror, click on distribution, then on distribution, 11.3,
> repo, oss to see if there is actually something in there. You will have
> something in your browser like:
> http://opensuse.example.com/opensuse/distribution/11.3/repo/oss/
> Edit in YaST the settings. Basically by changing the server name.

Sounds not to complicated. I will give it a try...

> The reason is that in general openSUSE does a well enough guestimate on
> what servers should be the best for you. However it is a guestimate, so
> it can fail from time to time as the mirrors are not under their
> control.

Yeah - I am based in the Netherlands (as you maybe know - we
have made contact by newsgroups before). As most servers in
the Netherlands (most times university's that also serve
Debian mirrors etc.) are not that slow it puzzles me a bit.

> houghi

Thanks hougi..

John.
From: mjt on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:54:08 +0200
John Kloosterman <John(a)Closed.org.invalid> wrote:

> It took 70 minutes (Yes 1 hour and 10 minutes) to only
> update a few files.
>
> Now I know when a distro just is released mirrors can be
> busy, but this is unacceptable and unworkable.
>
> I am about to give up to openSUSE once again, but will try
> to find an answer here as a last resort.
>
> Has anyone met the same problems, and... more important -
> what is the solution to this frustrating problem.

Interesting - I've never experienced this issue, except
when there was an incorrect network setting.

How's this ... I did a network install of 11.3
in just over an hour (on release day)!

--
"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends ...
tell me where to get more wax!!"

From: Ulick Magee on
houghi wrote:

> I noticed a serious speed reduction with some mirrors. The installation
> is indeed a bit faster. It depends on when you start timing your
> installation. When you time from the moment you start the download, the
> NET install is the fastest. When you start from the moment you booted
> the ISO, then the DVD is the fastest. When you want to have a running
> system, then the Live is fastest.

For me, the timing starts when I select 'installation' with the live CD.

No need to count download time, as you can do that in the background
while you do other things, unless you're desperate to get a new release
installed ASAP on the day of its release (and if you're that bothered,
can't you install an RC a few days earlier and then do zypper dup?)

> Concerning the patters, I still use the RPM groups as the patterns do not
> give me enough freedom.

Sure but having different options is good.
I don't know why some stupid reviewers say openSUSE is 'bloated' (
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/reg_linux_guide_1/ ) yes there
are lots of packages available, that doesn't mean you have to install
them, choice is good, and if you use the live CD or net install you are
not going to download gigabytes of stuff you won't end up using.

It'd be interesting to know whether many people download the DVD any more.

> It was a sort of integration of YaST and RedCarpet(?) and it was not
> removed, it was improved and extended now resulted in your lightening
> fast speed of zypper. It was libzypp.

IIRC it was ZMD on the KDE / Gnome desktops, as a non-killer of small
animals you would have missed out on all the fun :)

> Then updates are not stricltly needed.

On a rarely used VM, probably not, but installing new packages is slow
too. I'm not bothered enough to go investigating, I can do what I need
to do (and work on other things while it downloads in the background)

> Also I assume you run them
> headless. That means you don't "see" the system. It just runs in the
> background. Then use putty to ssh to it and you have access to the CLI,
> manpages and what not.

Yeah we have unix and RHEL servers and use Putty and SSH for 'real
work', the VM on my PC is really just for playing around with KDE4 and
command line.

> There are other options, like GNOME or XFCE.

Hate GNOME and tried XFCE before and it's a bit too basic. I've been
using KDE since SuSE9.1 (did I capitalise that right?) and a few niggles
with KDE4 aren't likely to make me switch. Yesterday I figured out how
to move shortcut buttons on the panel, if you right click the panel and
select Panel Options then you can drag them. Easy when you know how...!

> For a virtual machine, I
> would go for something that leaves as much power as possible for my
> machine. So first I run headless. However that might not be ideal. So
> then I use the least. So I run i CLI. No desktop. If that is not an
> option I use a lightweight: LXDE.

First of all the VM isn't running all the time. When it is running, it's
not doing very much, so I've never noticed a slowdown of the native OS
(Windows XP :( ) it's quite capable of slowing down to a crawl sometimes
all by itself for no apparent reason anyway!

> Please do not advice mirrors. Mirror selection is ONLY needed in very
> rare occasions. The more people use the standard, the better they bocome
> in sending everybody to the right place.

OK you didn't advise a specific mirror, but you agreed that occasionally
someone will need to select a faster mirror than the one they get by
default. Trying all the mirrors in the hope of finding a better one is
rather tedious.

> So if people start all using that one server you just
> promoted to the world, the redirector will asume there is still enough
> space available there and it will start blocking.

I doubt the readership of this group is *that* high. Usenet is a
minority sport these days. openSUSE is not the most popular linux
distribution, even if it is the best :)
Now if I'd gone to the official Ubuntu forums and posted it there as a
good location to download umbongo from, perhaps a different story,
perhaps not.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: Inge Svensson on
Ulick Magee skrev 2010-07-17 12:30:
<snip>
> It'd be interesting to know whether many people download the DVD any more.
One here. Took about an hour in the backround. Updated from 11.2 in
about 30 or 40 minutes. Not sure. Did something else while it updated.
Inge Svensson