From: Ulick Magee on
Ulick Magee wrote:

> It'd be interesting to know whether many people download the DVD any more.

Oops, the answer is in the link you posted
http://news.opensuse.org/2010/07/16/opensuse-11-3-launch-information/

"
After 24 hours, it�s time to write up a few numbers as well. A total of
49599 requests for ISOs were reached via our download redirector.

The distribution of the media is as follows:
� NonOss Addon CD BiArch: 995
� 32-bit x86:
� Net 1955
� DVD 17130
� GNOME-LiveCD 3047
� KDE4-LiveCD 4287
� Addon-Lang 313
� 64-bit x86-64
� Net 1286
� DVD 16944
� GNOME-LiveCD 1302
� KDE4-LiveCD 2185
� Addon-Lang 155
"

Interesting that so many people download the DVD. I think that less
experienced users are more likely to do that, so they have everything
"just in case" but for most people it's a waste of time/bandwidth even
if they don't realise it.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: Ulick Magee on
houghi wrote:

> Download the DVD ISO and mount that as a DVD. Then you can do the
> installs from there, if they are available there.

Yeah, I'd do that if I needed to install a lot of packages, but it's got
all I need now.

>> playing around with KDE4
>
> Murderer.

:)

> Basic? It shows programs that you want to run. What more do you need?

Just had a look at a screenshot on Wikipedia, it seems to have come on a
bit since I last tried it!
I'll give it a try before I go to 11.3 and say goodbye to KDE3.5 :(
and maybe try LXDE as well. I have an older machine that it could be a
good choice on.

> As a sidenote, a friend of mine was also trying to do certain things on
> his 64bit XP an VMware. First result was that he kicked off VMware and
> now uses VirtualBox.

I use... Microsoft Virtual PC (booo!) but it works, is free-as-in-beer
and does what I need it to do. It's limited to 32-bit guests though (on
a 32-bit host OS, anyway.)

> Second result is that he is going to do first a
> dualboot to see what machine will run best on Windows and which on Linux
> and then use two machines.

Good idea for someone who has two machines and needs to use each OS
intensively.

>> Trying all the mirrors in the hope of finding a better one is
>> rather tedious.
>
> Yeah and that will dscourage them from doing it, unless it is realy,
> really needed. ;-)

OK :)

> It is more a matter of principle. Somebody might see it, post it on some
> forum or on /.

OK.

From: Ulick Magee on
houghi wrote:

> Bandwith is not an issue for most users. At least not anymore.

That depends on what country you live in. Most people in Ireland on DSL
are at 2 or 3 Mbit (I'm on 3Mbit, I could get 7 but it's not worth the
extra cost for me) and a *lot* of people in small towns and rural areas
have 3G "broadband", or even just dialup. For people like that, buying a
CD from a magazine is a good option.

My laptop doesn't have enough free space at the moment to download a
full DVD anyway :( Need to steal some more space off OSX when I next
upgrade openSUSE. Or maybe get a bigger hard disk than 120GB...

> On the plus side you can put the CD on a USB key. I tried that with the
> DVD and it booted, but complained about needing the CD in the first
> drive.

As larger USB keys are getting more common, it would be nice to be able
to put the DVD on one. Shrinking it a bit so it fits on a 4GB one might
be an idea.

> The best option is still the Net CD. One downside I saw was that
> wireess did not work during the installation. Not a huge problem and I
> did not even try it out on the second portable.

I tried the net install once. It's just easier IMHO to download a full
CD and you can try it out before installing, and have a basic
functioning system (including wireless, on my hardware) without having
to download anything else.

From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-17, Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>
>> Bandwith is not an issue for most users. At least not anymore.
>
> That depends on what country you live in. Most people in Ireland on DSL
> are at 2 or 3 Mbit (I'm on 3Mbit, I could get 7 but it's not worth the
> extra cost for me) and a *lot* of people in small towns and rural areas
> have 3G "broadband", or even just dialup.

That's an interesting topic, 3G, in diffrent countries.
I downloaded stuff yesterday with my EeePC (11.2/KDE) over 3G/Huawei
E169.

Almost all the time the speed was 500 KB/s, dropping now and then to
like 300 KB/s for a moment. (It sometimes, but rarely, exceeds 500 KB/s)

This connection (as an additional service to my mobile phone account
with an additional SIM card) costs 13.50 euro per month.

It's not limited in any way, speed or amount.

I have another additional 3G service, together with my 8 Mb/s ADSL account,
(together with which I received a free Telewell modem/router)
including a free Huawei E 160 to start and speed of 2 Mb/s, no other
limits.

These two together cost 28 euro per month.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-desktop
From: Paul J Gans on
Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:
>Ulick Magee wrote:
>>
>> It'd be interesting to know whether many people download the DVD any more.

>Oops, the answer is in the link you posted
>http://news.opensuse.org/2010/07/16/opensuse-11-3-launch-information/

>"
>After 24 hours, it's time to write up a few numbers as well. A total of
>49599 requests for ISOs were reached via our download redirector.

>The distribution of the media is as follows:
>» NonOss Addon CD BiArch: 995
>» 32-bit x86:
>» Net 1955
>» DVD 17130
>» GNOME-LiveCD 3047
>» KDE4-LiveCD 4287
>» Addon-Lang 313
>» 64-bit x86-64
>» Net 1286
>» DVD 16944
>» GNOME-LiveCD 1302
>» KDE4-LiveCD 2185
>» Addon-Lang 155
>"

>Interesting that so many people download the DVD. I think that less
>experienced users are more likely to do that, so they have everything
>"just in case" but for most people it's a waste of time/bandwidth even
>if they don't realise it.

Not necessarily when you have an ultraslow home internet connection
(Thank you, cable company) and can download rapidly in the office.
This way I can at least do a basic install at home, set things up
the way I want them, and then let the machine run for 48 hours or
whatever so it can update everything.

--
--- Paul J. Gans