From: gerlos on
John Nagle ha scritto:

> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
> in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
> and version clashes are a problem.

Did you look at matplotlib? In their examples page there are some charts
like the ones you asked for. I guess it could work for you, and it seems to
work flawlessy in MS Windows as in gnu/linux.

regards
gerlos

--
"Solo lo scienziato è vero poeta: ci dà la luna, ci promette le stelle,
ci farà un nuovo universo se sarà il caso."

From: Alan G Isaac on
There's John Zelle's graphics.py:
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/
provides basic functionality.

Pmw.Blt
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/Pmw.Blt/doc/reference.html

pygooglechart
You suggested this needs a browser, but not so,
you can download the PNGs and use the default viewer
to display them.

But really, Matplotlib is both cross platform and great.

Alan Isaac
From: John Nagle on
gerlos wrote:
> John Nagle ha scritto:
>
>> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
>> in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
>> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
>> and version clashes are a problem.
>>

> Did you look at matplotlib? In their examples page there are some charts
> like the ones you asked for. I guess it could work for you, and it seems to
> work flawlessy in MS Windows as in gnu/linux.

That's a wrapper for Antigrain ("http://www.antigrain.com/"), which is
a C++ library. I'm trying hard to avoid dependencies on binary libraries
with limited support. Builds exist only for Python 2.4 and 2.5.

John Nagle
From: John Nagle on
Alan G Isaac wrote:
> There's John Zelle's graphics.py:
> http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python/
> provides basic functionality.

"The package is a wrapper around Tkinter". It runs Tkinter
in a separate thread and sends commands to it.

> Pmw.Blt
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/Pmw.Blt/doc/reference.html

That's a wrapper for the BLT package for Tcl.
(http://blt.sourceforge.net/). The documentation
for the wrapper says it was developed for Windows 98.

> pygooglechart
> You suggested this needs a browser, but not so,
> you can download the PNGs and use the default viewer
> to display them.

That outsources the job to Google, which could choose at any time
to cancel that service (as they did, for example, with their SOAP-based
search API.)

"You acknowledge and agree that Google may stop (permanently or
temporarily) providing the Services (or any features within the Services) to you
or to users generally at Google�s sole discretion, without prior notice to you."

Besides, outsourcing something this basic just adds something else
that can break.

John Nagle
From: John Nagle on
Ethan Furman wrote:
> John Nagle wrote:
>>
>> http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/introduction.html
>>
>> Tried PyChart. Set up for PNG file format. Got the error
>> "Exception: Ghostscript not found." This thing just creates
>> PostScript, then pumps it through GhostScript (anybody remember that?)
>> to get other formats. And does the documentation say that? Only
>> in the FAQ section. Grrr.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be any pure Python chart module at all.
>> Just wrappers.
>>
>> John Nagle
>
> http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/module-theme.html
>

> Looks like it will directly create pdf files, not sure if that will for
> you.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks. More usefully, the program will generate SVG output.
That I can use. There are some bugs; the SVG text sizes are
about 2x too big. But I can fix that.

John Nagle
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6