From: John Nagle on
I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
and version clashes are a problem.

Here's the list from the Python wiki at
"http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
package in C/C++.

* Matplotlib -- wrapper for Antigrain, written in C/C++
* Veusz -- requires PyQt from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt, which
is in C/C++
* Chaco -- requires binaries for Enthought Tool Suite
* ScientificPython - uses mix of C, C++, and FORTRAN.
* Gnuplot module -- wrapper for GNUPLOT
* plot_wrap - wrapper for GNU plotutils
* BLT - "tcltk.com" link goes to a domain squatter site.
* PyQT - wrapper for Qwt C++ library
* DISLIN - interface to C++ DISLIN system
* Mayavi - interface to Mayavai2, standalone program
* gdmodule GD - python wrapper for the GD library.
* Gist - wrapper for gist graphics library
* pgplot - Wrapper for pgplot.
* Py-OpenDX - wrapper for IBM Data Explorer
* VTK - wrapper for VTK in C++
* RPy - wrapper for R programming lnaguage
* PyX - wrapper for Tex.
* Biggles - wrapper for C++ module
* Pychart - 100% Python, but last updated 21-Dec-2005.
* PyNGL - uses PyNIO, which is in C
* pygooglechart - Python interface to the Google Chart LookinAPI, only works in
browser

So, for pure Python, Pychart is it. I'll have to try it and see if it still
works.

John Nagle
From: Vlastimil Brom on
2009/9/15 John Nagle <nagle(a)animats.com>:
> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
> in Python.  I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
> and version clashes are a problem.
>
> Here's the list from the Python wiki at
> "http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
> Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
> package in C/C++.
> * BLT - "tcltk.com" link goes to a domain squatter site.
> So, for pure Python, Pychart is it.  I'll have to try it and see if it still
> works.
>
>                                John Nagle

As for BLT, there is Pmw.Blt, the original is written in Tcl.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/blt/
http://pmw.sourceforge.net/doc/Blt.html
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/Pmw.Blt/doc/

Maybe Tcl/Pmw has less problems on different platforms, but isn't pure
python either; moreover I'm not sure what graph types are supported.

vbr
From: ici on
On Sep 15, 8:25 pm, John Nagle <na...(a)animats.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
> in Python.  I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
> and version clashes are a problem.
>
> Here's the list from the Python wiki at
> "http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
> Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
> package in C/C++.
>
> * Matplotlib -- wrapper for Antigrain, written in C/C++
> * Veusz -- requires PyQt fromhttp://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt, which
> is in C/C++
> * Chaco -- requires binaries for Enthought Tool Suite
> * ScientificPython - uses mix of C, C++, and FORTRAN.
> * Gnuplot module -- wrapper for GNUPLOT
> * plot_wrap - wrapper for GNU plotutils
> * BLT - "tcltk.com" link goes to a domain squatter site.
> * PyQT - wrapper for Qwt C++ library
> * DISLIN - interface to C++ DISLIN system
> * Mayavi - interface to Mayavai2, standalone program
> * gdmodule GD - python wrapper for the GD library.
> * Gist - wrapper for gist graphics library
> * pgplot - Wrapper for pgplot.
> * Py-OpenDX - wrapper for IBM Data Explorer
> * VTK - wrapper for VTK in C++
> * RPy - wrapper for R programming lnaguage
> * PyX - wrapper for Tex.
> * Biggles - wrapper for C++ module
> * Pychart - 100% Python, but last updated 21-Dec-2005.
> * PyNGL - uses PyNIO, which is in C
> * pygooglechart - Python interface to the Google Chart LookinAPI, only works in
> browser
>
> So, for pure Python, Pychart is it.  I'll have to try it and see if it still
> works.
>
>                                 John Nagle

My choice is PyQWT but few monts before I started pure python tkinter
cartesian plot control:
screenshot: http://www.iltchev.com/tkplot/tkplot.png
source: http://www.iltchev.com/tkplot/tkplot.py.txt

This class is in a very early stage, but I think it is good start. :)

From: John Nagle on
John Nagle wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
> in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
> and version clashes are a problem.
>
> Here's the list from the Python wiki at
> "http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
> Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
> package in C/C++.
>
> * Matplotlib -- wrapper for Antigrain, written in C/C++
> * Veusz -- requires PyQt from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt,
> which is in C/C++
> * Chaco -- requires binaries for Enthought Tool Suite
> * ScientificPython - uses mix of C, C++, and FORTRAN.
> * Gnuplot module -- wrapper for GNUPLOT
> * plot_wrap - wrapper for GNU plotutils
> * BLT - "tcltk.com" link goes to a domain squatter site.
> * PyQT - wrapper for Qwt C++ library
> * DISLIN - interface to C++ DISLIN system
> * Mayavi - interface to Mayavai2, standalone program
> * gdmodule GD - python wrapper for the GD library.
> * Gist - wrapper for gist graphics library
> * pgplot - Wrapper for pgplot.
> * Py-OpenDX - wrapper for IBM Data Explorer
> * VTK - wrapper for VTK in C++
> * RPy - wrapper for R programming lnaguage
> * PyX - wrapper for Tex.
> * Biggles - wrapper for C++ module
> * Pychart - 100% Python (NOT!), but last updated 21-Dec-2005.
> * PyNGL - uses PyNIO, which is in C
> * pygooglechart - Python interface to the Google Chart LookinAPI, only
> works in browser
>
> So, for pure Python, Pychart is it. I'll have to try it and see if it
> still works.

http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/introduction.html

Tried PyChart. Set up for PNG file format. Got the error
"Exception: Ghostscript not found." This thing just creates
PostScript, then pumps it through GhostScript (anybody remember that?)
to get other formats. And does the documentation say that? Only
in the FAQ section. Grrr.

There doesn't seem to be any pure Python chart module at all.
Just wrappers.

John Nagle
From: Ethan Furman on
John Nagle wrote:

> http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/introduction.html
>
> Tried PyChart. Set up for PNG file format. Got the error
> "Exception: Ghostscript not found." This thing just creates
> PostScript, then pumps it through GhostScript (anybody remember that?)
> to get other formats. And does the documentation say that? Only
> in the FAQ section. Grrr.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any pure Python chart module at all.
> Just wrappers.
>
> John Nagle

http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/module-theme.html

<excerpt>
output_format
This variable sets the encoding of the data produced by PyChart. The
value of this variable must be one of the following strings.

ps:
eps:
Encapsulated PostScript. This is the default.

pdf:
Adobe Page Description Format, or PDF.

pdf-uncompressed:
PDF without compression. This option should be used for a debugging
purpose only.

png:
PNG graphics. You need to have ghostscript (gs) installed to use this
option, because PyChart internally calls ghostscript to convert
PostScript to PNG.
</excerpt>

Looks like it will directly create pdf files, not sure if that will for you.

Hope this helps.

~Ethan~
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6