From: Michel Claveau - MVP on
Hi!

> Tkinter is part of the Python standard library

Yes.
But...
tkinter is a wrapper to tcl/tk, who is written in tcl. Ok, tcl is given with Python (standard library).
Therefore, you sentence:
'Are you really ruling out its use for a "pure Python" solution?'
Is well done...
;-)

Michel Claveau

From: John Nagle on
John Nagle wrote:
> Ethan Furman wrote:
>> John Nagle wrote:
>>>
>>> http://home.gna.org/pychart/doc/introduction.html
>>>
>>> Tried PyChart. ...

PyChart generates SVG reasonably well, and needs no external programs
when generating SVG. But there's something
broken related to font sizes. Larger values of "font-size" produce
smaller type, and chart labels don't fit their boxes.
I'm trying to figure out whether PyChart is generating
incorrect SVG or whether Mozilla is incorrectly rendering SVG.

John Nagle
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2009-09-16, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Tkinter is part of the Python standard library:

That doesn't mean you can depend on it being available. It
doesn't get installed by default on some Linux distros.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Wait ... is this a FUN
at THING or the END of LIFE in
From: Giacomo Boffi on
Vlastimil Brom <vlastimil.brom(a)gmail.com> writes:

> As for BLT, there is Pmw.Blt, the original is written in Tcl.

doesn't work (dumps core) on debian linux
bug #525860: python-pmw triggers segmentation fault in blt

not that blt itself is really OK
bug #524149: blt: zooming in a graph produces segmentation fault
--
Io ti saluto diventa equivalente ad io saluto te -- gobbacci, in ISC
From: Giacomo Boffi on
John Nagle <nagle(a)animats.com> writes:

> gerlos wrote:
>> John Nagle ha scritto:
>>
>>> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
>>> in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
>>> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
>>> and version clashes are a problem.
>>>
>> Did you look at matplotlib? In their examples page there are some
>> charts like the ones you asked for. I guess it could work for you,
>> and it seems to work flawlessy in MS Windows as in gnu/linux.
>
> That's a wrapper for Antigrain ("http://www.antigrain.com/"), which is
> a C++ library.

come on, you can configure matplotlib to use one of too many different
backends

from http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/customizing.html

#### CONFIGURATION BEGINS HERE

# the default backend; one of GTK GTKAgg GTKCairo CocoaAgg FltkAgg
# MacOSX QtAgg Qt4Agg TkAgg WX WXAgg Agg Cairo GDK PS PDF SVG Template
# You can also deploy your own backend outside of matplotlib by
# referring to the module name (which must be in the PYTHONPATH) as
# 'module://my_backend'
backend : GTKAgg

--
Yes you who must leave everything that you cannot control.
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul.