From: Giacomo Boffi on
Piet van Oostrum <piet(a)cs.uu.nl> writes:

>>CW> Huh?
>
>>CW> Matplotlib is a pretty phenomenal charting library, I use it
>>CW> routinely on both windows and linux, I've never had any
>>CW> compilation problems on Linux and never even needed to compile
>>CW> it on Windows.
>
>>CW> Writing if off as "just a wrapper for antigrain" is pretty
>>CW> insulting...
>
> *You* made up the "just" in that quote. The point was that the OP
> wants something that only needs Python.

matplotlib can be used to generate .ps, .pdf and .svg files (all
vectorial formats) without resorting to Antigrain

Antigrain is used only in rasterizing, due to its better capabilities
in the field of antialiasing, when you use matplotlib with an
interactive backend; of course, if you're truly dispising Antigrain
and are happy with a coarser display you can select interactive
backends that DO NOT use Antigrain

that's for the Antigrain wrapper

otoh, if the OP intended a plotting library that does not use binary
modules at all (then his reference to Antigrain was mostly fogging),
then matplotlib is not for him

% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.cpp$' | wc -l
23
% find matplotlib-0.99.0/| grep -v agg24 | grep '\.c$' | wc -l
5
%

--
I wish we'd come to our senses and see there is no truth
In those who promote the confusion for this ever changing mood.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2009-09-18, Chris Withers <chris(a)simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2009-09-16, Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Tkinter is part of the Python standard library:
>>
>> That doesn't mean you can depend on it being available. It
>> doesn't get installed by default on some Linux distros.
>
> That's 'cos some linux distros feel the need to destroy
> python's packaging

What do you mean by "Python's packaging"? I used to build
python from sources, and tcl/tk support was optional then as
well.

> for their own silly reasons...
>
> Take them out and shoot them.

I think you're overstating that a bit. AFAIK, when building
Python from sources, tcl/tk support has always been optional as
well.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Being a BALD HERO
at is almost as FESTIVE as a
From: Nick Craig-Wood on
John Nagle <nagle(a)animats.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for something that can draw simple bar and pie charts
> in Python. I'm trying to find a Python package, not a wrapper for
> some C library, as this has to run on both Windows and Linux
> and version clashes are a problem.
>
> Here's the list from the Python wiki at
> "http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific/Plotting".
> Almost all the options are really wrappers for some other
> package in C/C++.
[snip]
> So, for pure Python, Pychart is it. I'll have to try it and see if it still
> works.

I don't think anyone has mentioned reportlab... It can plot charts I
think, though last time I used it I plotted stuff by hand as I wanted
exact control over the layout.

I'm not sure of the dependencies though so may not be suitable for
your purposes.

http://www.reportlab.org/rl_toolkit.html

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick(a)craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick