From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Willy" <justask(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Steps not missed Brian, I followed your instructions.

Then clearly you didn't search properly because first you said you couldn't
find it and now you say you have. It was on your PC and you couldn't find it.
Ergo, you searched incorrectly the first time.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Willy on
Brian, Sorry for confusion but what I found was a backup of my outlook.pst
file on a CD-RW I use monthly to backup critical data files. I copied that
file from my CD-RW to my C:\Documents and Settings\BillG\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Folder. Then I searched and it
didn't find it using your suggestions though I could see it in the
aforementioned Folder. So it appears my Windows Explorer Search Program is
not working.
FYI, I later found the file in this Folder: C:\Documents and
Settings\BillG\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft(4)\Outlook(2).
Note the "(4) & the "(2)" in the sub-folder names. I've no idea how those
were created and how my pst file ended up in the \Outlook(2) folder & again
why Windows Explorer Search did not find the pst.

In conclusion, the issue of gettiong my pst back is resolved. I just
question now why searching my C: drive would not find any pst ( I even made
a C:\temp\outlook.pst) and search still did not find it, thus an unresolved
issue with Windows Explorer Search exists.
--
Thanks, Bill
Post replies back to News Group

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> Sorry for confusion but what I found was a backup of my outlook.pst file on
> a CD-RW I use monthly to backup critical data files. I copied that file
> from my CD-RW to my C:\Documents and Settings\BillG\Local
> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Folder.

When you restore a PST to re-add it to Outlook, you should put it in a folder
other than the folder Outlook uses by default when it creates PSTs. If you
inadvertently overwrite a PST of the same name, you can damage the mail
profile.

> In conclusion, the issue of gettiong my pst back is resolved. I just
> question now why searching my C: drive would not find any pst ( I even made
> a C:\temp\outlook.pst) and search still did not find it, thus an unresolved
> issue with Windows Explorer Search exists.

Without knowing how you conducted the search and what parameters you
specified, it would be impossible to say. However, it's moot, since your
problem was resolved.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Willy on
Brian, in your previous Post you stated:
"Open Windows Explorer. Click Tools>Folder Options. Select the View tab.
Select the radio button "Show hidden files and folders". It's a good idea
as
well to uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types"." Well, I
did exactly that then I Opened Windows Explorer, Clicked on All Files and
Folders, entered outlook.pst in1st Search Box, got nothing, clicked Back and
entered *.pst again getting nothing. I only have 1 hard drive, C:, so
something is not working with the Windows Explorer Search Engine.
Yes, it is a mute point since I did eventually find my pst file by manually
searching but you did not address my post where it added subdirectories with
a (4) & a (2) in their names. See my previous post to your reply on this.
--
Thanks, Bill
Post replies back to News Group

>> In conclusion, the issue of gettiong my pst back is resolved. I just
>> question now why searching my C: drive would not find any pst ( I even
>> made a C:\temp\outlook.pst) and search still did not find it, thus an
>> unresolved issue with Windows Explorer Search exists.
>
> Without knowing how you conducted the search and what parameters you
> specified, it would be impossible to say. However, it's moot, since your
> problem was resolved.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

First  |  Prev  |