From: George Macdonald on
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:01:29 GMT, Gary L. <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>>It's drivers. You'll be better off installing Win2k from scratch. If
>>>that is not an option, try booting into safe mode, delete all devices
>>>in device manager, and let Windows find and install whatever devices
>>>you have. You might have to search the Web for the drivers.
>>
>>Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.
>
>Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>which there is a registry entry.

I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
not present. I don't need to "recall" on this - I see it every time I mess
with the network settings on our server.

> Of course, you can always edit the
>registry hardware keys directly, but that takes some knowledge of what
>the keys represent.

Good luck.:-)

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Gary L. on
George Macdonald wrote:

>>> Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.

>> Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>> Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>> select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>> something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>> you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>> which there is a registry entry.

> I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
> not present. I don't need to "recall" on this - I see it every time I mess
> with the network settings on our server.

Ah, Monsieur, I have been challenged? I have been slapped in the face
with a glove, no? Well, well, let us select our seconds and pick out our
dueling pistols! My honor is at stake.

I am now firing up my only Windows 2000 machine (a ThinkPad 600) running
Windows 2000 Pro SP4. It does not have any build-in network cards, so I
use either a Siemens Ethernet card and a LinkSys 802.11g wireless card
in the PC Card slots. The Siemens card is NOT installed as I boot up the
machine.

I open the Control Panel. I then start Add/Remove Hardware applet,
select Uninstall/Unplug a device, then Uninstall a device, then check
"Show hidden devices." A list of "installed devices" appears. On that
list is an entry for "Siemens SpeedStream CardBus 10/100" with the
Ethernet adapter icon preceding it. Actually, there are *two* entries,
with the second one suffixed as "#2" (as a result of putting the PC
Card in the other PC Card slot on one occasion). I can delete the entry
from this dialog box. There are also many entries for absent devices,
including USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, the printer
at the office, USB hubs, the PC Card USB 2 adapter I sometimes use, etc.
In fact, it lists just about everything I've ever plugged into the computer.

You mentioned your *server* at work. It is possible that Windows 2000
Server does not work the same way. But Windows 2000 *Pro* definitely
does provide a method for removing the configuration for at least some
of the absent devices.

--
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
From: Rob Stow on
George Macdonald wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:01:29 GMT, Gary L. <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.
>> Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>> Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>> select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>> something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>> you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>> which there is a registry entry.
>
> I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
> not present.

It *does* work with W2K SP4. Not only have I done it repeatedly
in the past, I just verified it for myself again two minutes ago
by deleting a wireless NIC that I removed last fall and an AGP
video card that was replaced in December.

From: nobody@nowhere.net on
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:55:45 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:01:29 GMT, Gary L. <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>>Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.
>>
>>Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>>Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>>select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>>something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>>you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>>which there is a registry entry.
>
>I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
>not present. I don't need to "recall" on this - I see it every time I mess
>with the network settings on our server.
>
>> Of course, you can always edit the
>>registry hardware keys directly, but that takes some knowledge of what
>>the keys represent.
>
>Good luck.:-)

Have not done it for long time, but I remember removing a 10base ISA
NIC and replacing it with 100 PCI - totally different manufacturer,
driver, etc. There was no issue with the old card not being present
anymore (it was replaced because it died). The driver was removed, I
just don't remember what tool I used - device manager, or "Add or
Remove Hardware applet". It was win2k adv. server, but not up to SP4
- probably SP2 or 3.

Having said all that, I still think that clean install is the best
solution for the OP.

NNN

From: Tony Hill on
On 6 Feb 2006 20:25:12 -0800, "NickName" <johnlu8848(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Have a old PIII600E on a PC Chips M766LRT motherboard, hoop up a hard
>drive with pre-installed WN2000, the system keep rebooting itself after
>power up. The WN2000 starting bar graph shows up, then system went
>into reboot.
>
>Quesiton:
>
>1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?

Nope. Nor is a pre-installed Win2K likely to work on ANY motherboard
except one nearly identical to the one where you made the image.

>2) How to update the bios of M766lrt? (went to the PC chips site and
>found bios for M766LMRT, will this bios work for M766LRT board? the
>file is a type ".rom" file, how do one load it into the bios?)

The M766LMRT BIOS might work, or it might not. I'm not really sure.
As for the .rom file, there is probably a program on PC Chips website
to update the BIOS. Or alternatively you could try the BIOS
manufacturer's website (probably Phoenix, Award or AMI). it's
probably going to be a DOS based utility, though they have a Windows
based utility as well.

Either way though, the chances of this fixing your probably are
EXTREMELY slim. You're issue is almost certainly drivers and not BIOS
related.

>Any suggestion is high appreciated.

You can TRY booting into Safe Mode and see if you can uninstall all
the drivers and have them redetected, but almost certainly you're
going to need to do a fresh install.

Tony Hill