From: George Macdonald on
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:14:35 GMT, "nobody(a)nowhere.net"
<mygarbage2000(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:55:45 -0500, George Macdonald
><fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:01:29 GMT, Gary L. <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>>Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>>>Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>>>select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>>>something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>>>you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>>>which there is a registry entry.
>>
>>I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
>>not present. I don't need to "recall" on this - I see it every time I mess
>>with the network settings on our server.
>>
>>> Of course, you can always edit the
>>>registry hardware keys directly, but that takes some knowledge of what
>>>the keys represent.
>>
>>Good luck.:-)
>
>Have not done it for long time, but I remember removing a 10base ISA
>NIC and replacing it with 100 PCI - totally different manufacturer,
>driver, etc. There was no issue with the old card not being present
>anymore (it was replaced because it died). The driver was removed, I
>just don't remember what tool I used - device manager, or "Add or
>Remove Hardware applet". It was win2k adv. server, but not up to SP4
>- probably SP2 or 3.

All I can tell you is that Device Manager does not work (reliably) for
devices I've tried, in particular a NIC. This was an Intel NIC with
installed software and the software uninstall which would normally remove
the drivers did not. Note also that the OP is looking at a different
mbrd/chipset.

>Having said all that, I still think that clean install is the best
>solution for the OP.

Yeah well that can depend on how much work it is to get back to where
things were with the total installation. If you have a single Domain
Controller, e.g., it can be a *lot* of work to get back to where you were
and even then you need to have everything documented... user names and
privileges, group security, file system security and access privileges
etc., before you do the switch. This could run into days of work.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: George Macdonald on
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:28:16 GMT, "Gary L." <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
>>> Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
>>> select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
>>> something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
>>> you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
>>> which there is a registry entry.
>
>> I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
>> not present. I don't need to "recall" on this - I see it every time I mess
>> with the network settings on our server.
>
>Ah, Monsieur, I have been challenged? I have been slapped in the face
>with a glove, no? Well, well, let us select our seconds and pick out our
>dueling pistols! My honor is at stake.

Eh.. be-e... BOF!:-)

>I am now firing up my only Windows 2000 machine (a ThinkPad 600) running
>Windows 2000 Pro SP4. It does not have any build-in network cards, so I
>use either a Siemens Ethernet card and a LinkSys 802.11g wireless card
>in the PC Card slots. The Siemens card is NOT installed as I boot up the
>machine.
>
>I open the Control Panel. I then start Add/Remove Hardware applet,
>select Uninstall/Unplug a device, then Uninstall a device, then check
>"Show hidden devices." A list of "installed devices" appears. On that
>list is an entry for "Siemens SpeedStream CardBus 10/100" with the
>Ethernet adapter icon preceding it. Actually, there are *two* entries,
>with the second one suffixed as "#2" (as a result of putting the PC
>Card in the other PC Card slot on one occasion). I can delete the entry
>from this dialog box. There are also many entries for absent devices,
>including USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, the printer
>at the office, USB hubs, the PC Card USB 2 adapter I sometimes use, etc.
>In fact, it lists just about everything I've ever plugged into the computer.
>
>You mentioned your *server* at work. It is possible that Windows 2000
>Server does not work the same way. But Windows 2000 *Pro* definitely
>does provide a method for removing the configuration for at least some
>of the absent devices.

Cardbus and those other devices are all hot dockable plug 'n' play devices
- not the same thing as a direct attached PCI device and the OP's situation
is with a completely different chipset/mbrd. "Issues" with this kind of
thing are welll documented/discussed all over the Internet - the
recommended path is to remove special device drivers *before* taking out
the old mbrd/chipset... which is not a lot of help if the damned thing is
broken.:-)

It's possible that Add/Remove Hardware Control Panel -- which I believe is
a holdover from WinNT since it's not available in the Win9x or WinXP
systems -- allows things which Device Manager doesn't - if so, we're
looking at yet another M$ fuckup.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Gary L. on
George Macdonald wrote:

>> Ah, Monsieur, I have been challenged? I have been slapped in the face
>> with a glove, no? Well, well, let us select our seconds and pick out our
>> dueling pistols! My honor is at stake.
>
> Eh.. be-e... BOF!:-)

>> I open the Control Panel. I then start Add/Remove Hardware applet,
>> select Uninstall/Unplug a device, then Uninstall a device, then check
>> "Show hidden devices." A list of "installed devices" appears. On that
>> list is an entry for "Siemens SpeedStream CardBus 10/100" with the
>> Ethernet adapter icon preceding it. Actually, there are *two* entries,
>> with the second one suffixed as "#2" (as a result of putting the PC
>> Card in the other PC Card slot on one occasion). I can delete the entry
>>from this dialog box. There are also many entries for absent devices,
>> including USB keyboards, USB mice, USB mass storage devices, the printer
>> at the office, USB hubs, the PC Card USB 2 adapter I sometimes use, etc.
>> In fact, it lists just about everything I've ever plugged into the computer.

> Cardbus and those other devices are all hot dockable plug 'n' play devices
> - not the same thing as a direct attached PCI device and the OP's situation
> is with a completely different chipset/mbrd. "Issues" with this kind of
> thing are welll documented/discussed all over the Internet - the
> recommended path is to remove special device drivers *before* taking out
> the old mbrd/chipset... which is not a lot of help if the damned thing is
> broken.:-)

It occurred to me that all of the "uninstalled" entries in the Remove
Hardware Applet were either CardBus or USB devices that have enhanced
hot plug capabilities. I do not have a desktop machine with Windows 2000
and I can't really remove any hardware form the notebook computer except
for CardBus, USB and UltraBay devices. So I cannot assert that absent
PCI devices will show up or can be effectively uninstalled from the
applet. And certainty it is better to uninstall the drivers before
removing the device, if possible.

> It's possible that Add/Remove Hardware Control Panel -- which I believe is
> a holdover from WinNT since it's not available in the Win9x or WinXP
> systems -- allows things which Device Manager doesn't - if so, we're
> looking at yet another M$ fuckup.

The Control Panel Applet definitely shows things that Device Manager
doesn't. Whether that's a mistake or a feature is another question.

But, Monsieur, we both leave with our honor intact. C'est tres bien.
Bonsoir.

--
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
From: Gary L. on
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:47:30 GMT, Gary L. <nospam(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>>Hell no. And I cant imagine anybody would bother with the whole activation
>>mess. Everytime I install XP (client/friend/company computer) first thing
>>I do is to apply no_activation patch. There is no obligation or law to put
>>up with this inconvenience, at least not in my country.

Ok, the country appears to be Poland:

82-mi3-3.acn.waw.pl = [ 82.210.134.82 ]

Domain object:
domain: acn.waw.pl
registrant's handle: nsk2697 (CORPORATE)
nservers: dns.astercity.net
dns1.astercity.net
created: 2000.11.09
last modified: 2004.11.13
registrar: NASK
ul. Wawozowa 18
02-796 Warszawa
Polska/Poland
48.22 5231300
info(a)dns.pl

option: the domain name has not option
Subscribers Contact object:
company: ASTER CITY CABLE SP. Z O.O.
street: UL. DOMANIEWSKA 41
city: 02-672 WARSZAWA
location: PL
handle: nsk2697
last modified: 2003.03.29
registrar: NASK
ul. Wawozowa 18
02-796 Warszawa
Polska/Poland
48.22 5231300
info(a)dns.pl

- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
From: Keith on
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:52:17 +0000, Gary L. wrote:

>>>Hell no. And I cant imagine anybody would bother with the whole activation
>>>mess. Everytime I install XP (client/friend/company computer) first thing
>>>I do is to apply no_activation patch. There is no obligation or law to put
>>>up with this inconvenience, at least not in my country.
>
> Ok, the country appears to be Poland:

Note the nym; "hackbox". Doesn't that say it all?

--
Keith