From: George Macdonald on
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:33:00 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
<mike(a)NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

>In article <l22c02popb2f45gjr0v1oila59d7lk4fla(a)4ax.com>, George
>Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> writes
>
>>Christ you're a bit late to err, contribute??
>
>:)
>
>> Seems like I have more
>>experience with this than you
>
>Possibly. I'm not sure how you can tell.

Umm, you don't have the correct answer. From your info below, you have
experience only with the evolution of a single personal system?

>> - it doesn't work 100% reliably.
>
>This system I'm using now has been upgraded from Dos 6.22 to Win 3.1 to
>Win95 to Win98 to Win98SE to Win2000. Hardware-wise, it's been upgraded
>from a 486SX thru Pentiums of various speeds and is now an XP3200+. I've
>always migrated the OS to new hardware, and applied upgrades instead of
>fresh installs. Therefore there are MANY absent items listed in Control
>Panel/Add-Remove Hardware.
>
>I've just removed several (~2 dozen) items of absent hardware using the
>procedure outlined earlier without any issue whatsoever. Win2k SP4.

So it appears all that hardware you've removed has been left dangling from
old OS installations?... IOW nothing to do with Win2K and has not actually
worked under Win2K... so proves nothing.

If you'd read the thread instead of just butting in on a single selected
post, the matter seemed to have been already settled... umm 3 weeks ago.

>Your move.

I suggest you find someone else to have your err, quarrel with.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald