From: NickName on
Have a old PIII600E on a PC Chips M766LRT motherboard, hoop up a hard
drive with pre-installed WN2000, the system keep rebooting itself after
power up. The WN2000 starting bar graph shows up, then system went
into reboot.

Quesiton:

1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?

2) How to update the bios of M766lrt? (went to the PC chips site and
found bios for M766LMRT, will this bios work for M766LRT board? the
file is a type ".rom" file, how do one load it into the bios?)

Any suggestion is high appreciated.

From: nobody@nowhere.net on
On 6 Feb 2006 20:25:12 -0800, "NickName" <johnlu8848(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Have a old PIII600E on a PC Chips M766LRT motherboard, hoop up a hard
>drive with pre-installed WN2000, the system keep rebooting itself after
>power up. The WN2000 starting bar graph shows up, then system went
>into reboot.
>
>Quesiton:
>
>1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?
It's drivers. You'll be better off installing Win2k from scratch. If
that is not an option, try booting into safe mode, delete all devices
in device manager, and let Windows find and install whatever devices
you have. You might have to search the Web for the drivers.

>2) How to update the bios of M766lrt? (went to the PC chips site and
Follow the instructions on the PCchips site. If you have never done
it, you better stay away, unless you *must* do it to make things work.
There are too many ways to screw things up, most of the time beyond
recovery (ordering new BIOS chip for the board is always an option,
but costs more than this old board is worth).

>found bios for M766LMRT, will this bios work for M766LRT board? the
>file is a type ".rom" file, how do one load it into the bios?)
Once again, if in doubt, don't even think of it.

>Any suggestion is high appreciated.

NNN

From: George Macdonald on
On 6 Feb 2006 20:25:12 -0800, "NickName" <johnlu8848(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Have a old PIII600E on a PC Chips M766LRT motherboard, hoop up a hard
>drive with pre-installed WN2000, the system keep rebooting itself after
>power up. The WN2000 starting bar graph shows up, then system went
>into reboot.
>
>Quesiton:
>
>1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?

Win2K doesn't like having drivers which don't match the chipset, especially
for IDE - the reboot cycling is a symptom. Do you have the original mbrd
that Win2K worked with?... you'd need to boot with that and uninstall any
chipset specific drivers, replacing with generic Win2K drivers. Start with
IDE but there may be more. Even Safe Mode will not let you remove a
"device" which is not present.

I gather there are also people who have had success doing a repair with
custom driver install (F6 option) from the Win2K CD but I didn't.:-(

>2) How to update the bios of M766lrt? (went to the PC chips site and
>found bios for M766LMRT, will this bios work for M766LRT board? the
>file is a type ".rom" file, how do one load it into the bios?)

I dunno anything about PCChips mbrds or their BIOS.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: George Macdonald on
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:07:56 GMT, "nobody(a)nowhere.net"
<mygarbage2000(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 6 Feb 2006 20:25:12 -0800, "NickName" <johnlu8848(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Have a old PIII600E on a PC Chips M766LRT motherboard, hoop up a hard
>>drive with pre-installed WN2000, the system keep rebooting itself after
>>power up. The WN2000 starting bar graph shows up, then system went
>>into reboot.
>>
>>Quesiton:
>>
>>1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?
>It's drivers. You'll be better off installing Win2k from scratch. If
>that is not an option, try booting into safe mode, delete all devices
>in device manager, and let Windows find and install whatever devices
>you have. You might have to search the Web for the drivers.

Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Gary L. on
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:02:53 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> wrote:

>>>1) will pre-installed wn2000 normally work with M766lrt MB?
>>It's drivers. You'll be better off installing Win2k from scratch. If
>>that is not an option, try booting into safe mode, delete all devices
>>in device manager, and let Windows find and install whatever devices
>>you have. You might have to search the Web for the drivers.
>
>Win2K will not allow devices to be removed which are not currently present.

Actually it will, through the "Add or Remove Hardware" applet in the
Control Panel. I don't recall the exact sequence off hand, but you
select "remove a device" and then check "show all devices" (or
something like that). It will show *all* hardware registry entries and
you can delete a device that is not present in the system, but for
which there is a registry entry. Of course, you can always edit the
registry hardware keys directly, but that takes some knowledge of what
the keys represent.

In Win XP, the applet was renamed to "Add Hardware" and the ability to
remove inactive hardware keys was removed. I guess it gave users too
much control over their systems. But in all fairness, if you deleted
the wrong thing using the applet in Windows 2000, it really made a
mess of things.

Of course, the O.P. should simply do a clean install of the OS. Just
wanted to share this piece of computer trivia.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only