From: Del Cecchi on
Keith wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:52:17 +0000, Gary L. wrote:

>>Ok, the country appears to be Poland:
>

> Note the nym; "hackbox". Doesn't that say it all?

No. Used to be a guy posting to comp.arch from IBM Watson Research
Center as "Hack" as I recall

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn?t necessarily represent IBM?s positions,
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <mr0ku1ln83gj0lo7t4ls4if2i0cbnjsdam(a)4ax.com>, George
Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> writes

>I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
>not present.

I've just tried it to remove a CD-writer which I took out some time ago.
The procedure outline by Gary worked fine (Win2k Pro SP4.)

--
(\__/)

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <5T9Hf.27081$Jd.25490(a)newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>, Gary L.
<nospam(a)sbcglobal.net> writes

>The Control Panel Applet definitely shows things that Device Manager
>doesn't. Whether that's a mistake or a feature is another question.

Control Panel in Safe Mode here (Win2k Pro SP4) shows all hardware that
has ever been present, and allows me to remove absent devices.

--
(\__/)

From: George Macdonald on
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:03:19 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
<mike(a)NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote:

>In article <mr0ku1ln83gj0lo7t4ls4if2i0cbnjsdam(a)4ax.com>, George
>Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> writes
>
>>I'd suggest you try it - it does *NOT* work in Win2K SP4 if the device is
>>not present.
>
>I've just tried it to remove a CD-writer which I took out some time ago.
>The procedure outline by Gary worked fine (Win2k Pro SP4.)

Christ you're a bit late to err, contribute?? Seems like I have more
experience with this than you - it doesn't work 100% reliably.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <l22c02popb2f45gjr0v1oila59d7lk4fla(a)4ax.com>, George
Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks(a)tellurian.com> writes

>Christ you're a bit late to err, contribute??

:)

> Seems like I have more
>experience with this than you

Possibly. I'm not sure how you can tell.

> - it doesn't work 100% reliably.

This system I'm using now has been upgraded from Dos 6.22 to Win 3.1 to
Win95 to Win98 to Win98SE to Win2000. Hardware-wise, it's been upgraded
from a 486SX thru Pentiums of various speeds and is now an XP3200+. I've
always migrated the OS to new hardware, and applied upgrades instead of
fresh installs. Therefore there are MANY absent items listed in Control
Panel/Add-Remove Hardware.

I've just removed several (~2 dozen) items of absent hardware using the
procedure outlined earlier without any issue whatsoever. Win2k SP4.
Your move.

--
(\__/)