From: Robert Billing on
The holographic projection wavered for a few seconds then, as it came into
focus, we saw that TheOldFellow had written:

> It surprisingly difficult to find out if Real Physical MP3 players (e.g.
> Sony Walkpersons or Idiotpods) with USB connections will work with
> Linux. Googling just gives a selection of Linux software MP3 capable
> players no matter how hard I try.
>
> In general do USB MP3 players appear as USB storage? I've never owned
> nor wanted to own one, but now I have a use for one, and I need to know
> before I buy.

My experience is that the ones which are advertised as "also works as USB
memory stick", in other words they are supposed to be usable for general
file storage as well, tend to work straight off.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book
From: Gordon on
TheOldFellow wrote:
> It surprisingly difficult to find out if Real Physical MP3 players
> (e.g. Sony Walkpersons or Idiotpods) with USB connections will work with
> Linux. Googling just gives a selection of Linux software MP3 capable
> players no matter how hard I try.
>
> In general do USB MP3 players appear as USB storage? I've never owned
> nor wanted to own one, but now I have a use for one, and I need to know
> before I buy.
>
> Thanks.
>
> R.

My Sony Walkman works. Just plug it in.....
From: Gordon on
Andy Cap wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:15:59 GMT, rich <rich(a)nohome.com> wrote:
>

>> Got a couple of cheapies and both work fine.
>>
>> A Technika (from Tesco) - this even shows up with a 'Ipod' icon
>> and
>> A Sumvision that uses SD card for memory.
>>
>> Both mount as usb memory stick, copy and delete files at your leisure.
>>
>> system Mepis 8.
>
> That's my experience. I've got a couple of cheapies and an MP3/4 touch-screen
> player, all of which are recognised by my Centos setup. Reading that Sony might
> be a problem is a concern as my wife has one about to be delivered.
>
> Andy C

My Walkman seems to work OK....
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:46:50 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

> It surprisingly difficult to find out if Real Physical MP3 players (e.g.
> Sony Walkpersons or Idiotpods) with USB connections will work with
> Linux. Googling just gives a selection of Linux software MP3 capable
> players no matter how hard I try.

If the player only has a Windows support program you can check the WINE
applications database - http://appdb.winehq.org/ - to see if WINE can run
it under Linux.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: TheOldFellow on
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:49:11 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:46:50 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:
>
> > It surprisingly difficult to find out if Real Physical MP3 players (e.g.
> > Sony Walkpersons or Idiotpods) with USB connections will work with
> > Linux. Googling just gives a selection of Linux software MP3 capable
> > players no matter how hard I try.
> >
> If the player only has a Windows support program you can check the WINE
> applications database - http://appdb.winehq.org/ - to see if WINE can run
> it under Linux.

Thanks. I don't think I'll actually be handling it or reading the
packaging as I'll probably buy from a website. I think the general
opinion is that it's worth the risk.

As it'll be a sale under the Distance Selling Regulations here in UK,
I'll have the right to return it anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

R.