From: Ted on
TheOldFellow wrote:
> It surprisingly difficult to find out if Real Physical MP3 players
> (e.g. Sony Walkpersons or Idiotpods) with USB connections will work with
> Linux. Googling just gives a selection of Linux software MP3 capable
> players no matter how hard I try.
>
> In general do USB MP3 players appear as USB storage? I've never owned
> nor wanted to own one, but now I have a use for one, and I need to know
> before I buy.
>
> Thanks.
>
> R.

Look here...

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/?index.php&aff=window
and follow the mp3matchmaker link

Regards
Ted Wager
High Peak UK
Using Ubuntu Karmic Linux
From: FP on
On 28/09/2009 09:44, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> TheOldFellow <theoldfellow(a)gmail.com> writes:

>>In general do USB MP3 players appear as USB storage?
>
> No. Some do, some don't.
>
>>I've never owned nor wanted to own one, but now I have a use for one,
>>and I need to know before I buy.
>
> IIUC there are four categories: mass storage devices, those that use MTP
> (which are likely to be supported, though not equally well), iPODs, and
> those that use other proprietary protocols.

I've generally bought only cheapo mp3 players, and they come up as mass
storage devices. Completely messed up a little Wharfedale unit that I
got in Argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5135853/c_1/1|category_root|Limited+stock+clearance|15294700.htm
by unplugging it without unmounting first. Reformatting didn't help; I'd
repartition but the size seems to be wrongly reported to cfdisk.

But anyhow. The cheap devices mostly seem to work that way.

But my son has now bought himself a second-hand ipod. He mostly seems to
be able to get music on and off it by using Amarok, but there seems to
be no way of either seeing & deleting the videos that are on it, or
getting new videos on.

Anyone know of an app that can transfer videos to/from the iPod?

Frank