From: Martin Thompson on
Fred <fred__bloggs(a)lycos.com> writes:

> Thanks very much. In the past I have found ISO standards unreadable
> though good for reference. I wanted more a book I could read on
> trains or waiting for appointments. But a book where I would get more
> than an overview with some depth.
>
> I am very aware that H.264 is very involved but would like to be in a
> position where I could write some code, or at least understand the
> basis on which existing code has been written.

In that case, I'm afraid I'm short on suggestions, never having delved
much beneath the "visible surface" of that sort of compression.
Sorry!

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson(a)trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
From: Fred on
On 15 Apr, 15:42, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> "Fred" <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote in message

> > Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
> > material for MPEG coding?
>
> > I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
> > know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
> > coding MPEG4 streams.
> > Can anyone suggest an alternative group to ask the question?
>
> Try comp.compression.
>
> MPEG-4 covers a vast amount of material.
> It sounds like you're interested in video coding, so you're
> probably interested in MPEG-4 part 2 and / or MPEG-4
> part 10 (a.k.a. AVC or H.264).
>
> Each of these offers a variety of tools that can be
> used to increase compression efficiency, at the expense
> of increased complexity. H.264 is more efficient and
> more complex than MPEG-4 part 2.
>
> Are you thinking of building an encoder or decoder in
> FPGAs? This is a relatively big deal. The decoder would
> be much easier than the encoder, so that might be a good
> place to start.
>
> I have H.264 and MPEG-4 Video compression by
> Iain Richardson, and The MPEG-4 Book by Pereira
> and Ebrahimi. Both are reasonable introductions.
>
> It used to be possible to download some ITU documents
> for free from the ITU. It may still be. If so, you should
> download the H.264 specification. The ITU doesn't have
> a version of MPEG-4 part 2, so you'll have to pay the ISO
> for that. You might be able to download a copy of H.263
> from the ITU for free. This has a slight overlap with
> MPEG-4 part 2 which has a compatability (short header)
> mode that is essentially H.263.
>
> Pete

I'm most interested in H.264 and not sure of the difference between
this and H.263.

I have looked at reviews of both books and feel they both have
shortcomings. I notice that Richardson has a new version coming out
soon which may well address some of the complaints.

There seem very few up to date books on the subject to choose from.

Many thanks.