From: Fred on
Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
material for MPEG coding?

I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
coding MPEG4 streams.
From: Fred on
On Apr 12, 2:04 pm, Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
> material for MPEG coding?
>
> I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
> know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
> coding MPEG4 streams.

Can anyone suggest an alternative group to ask the question?
From: Martin Thompson on
Fred <fred__bloggs(a)lycos.com> writes:

> On Apr 12, 2:04�pm, Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
>> material for MPEG coding?
>>
>> I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
>> know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
>> coding MPEG4 streams.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative group to ask the question?

comp.dsp maybe?

For reference material, the MPEG-4 Wikipedia page has links to all the
ISO standards documents. More than you could ever want to know I
imagine! MPEG-4 covers an awful lot of ground!

For something that's a "cross-between reading and reference material"
as you asked, I think you'll have to give more idea as to what level
you want to read at, sorry!

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson(a)trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
From: Pete Fraser on
"Fred" <fred__bloggs(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
> material for MPEG coding?
>
> I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
> know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
> coding MPEG4 streams.

> Can anyone suggest an alternative group to ask the question?

Try comp.compression.

MPEG-4 covers a vast amount of material.
It sounds like you're interested in video coding, so you're
probably interested in MPEG-4 part 2 and / or MPEG-4
part 10 (a.k.a. AVC or H.264).

Each of these offers a variety of tools that can be
used to increase compression efficiency, at the expense
of increased complexity. H.264 is more efficient and
more complex than MPEG-4 part 2.

Are you thinking of building an encoder or decoder in
FPGAs? This is a relatively big deal. The decoder would
be much easier than the encoder, so that might be a good
place to start.

I have H.264 and MPEG-4 Video compression by
Iain Richardson, and The MPEG-4 Book by Pereira
and Ebrahimi. Both are reasonable introductions.

It used to be possible to download some ITU documents
for free from the ITU. It may still be. If so, you should
download the H.264 specification. The ITU doesn't have
a version of MPEG-4 part 2, so you'll have to pay the ISO
for that. You might be able to download a copy of H.263
from the ITU for free. This has a slight overlap with
MPEG-4 part 2 which has a compatability (short header)
mode that is essentially H.263.

Pete

From: Fred on
On 15 Apr, 15:17, Martin Thompson <martin.j.thomp...(a)trw.com> wrote:
> Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> writes:
> > On Apr 12, 2:04 pm, Fred <fred__blo...(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend a cross beween reading material and reference
> >> material for MPEG coding?
>
> >> I am familiar with JPEG, and the JFIF file structure and would like to
> >> know more about MPEG, preferably to include MPEG-4 with a view to
> >> coding MPEG4 streams.
>
> > Can anyone suggest an alternative group to ask the question?
>
> comp.dsp maybe?
>
> For reference material, the MPEG-4 Wikipedia page has links to all the
> ISO standards documents.  More than you could ever want to know I
> imagine!  MPEG-4 covers an awful lot of ground!
>
> For something that's a "cross-between reading and reference material"
> as you asked, I think you'll have to give more idea as to what level
> you want to read at, sorry!
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> --
> martin.j.thomp...(a)trw.com
> TRW Conekt - Consultancy in Engineering, Knowledge and Technologyhttp://www.conekt.net/electronics.html

Thanks very much. In the past I have found ISO standards unreadable
though good for reference. I wanted more a book I could read on
trains or waiting for appointments. But a book where I would get more
than an overview with some depth.

I am very aware that H.264 is very involved but would like to be in a
position where I could write some code, or at least understand the
basis on which existing code has been written.