From: JC Dill on
AES wrote:
> In article
> <barmar-F56611.00213018072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> The Mac can only tell whether its WiFi connection to the AEBS is up.
>>
>> You can go to 192.168.100.1 to see the status of the modem. If you can
>> get to this address, then the Mac and AEBS are fine.
>>

> Barry, I don't know what you mean by "The Mac can only tell whether its
> WiFi connection to the AEBS is up".
>
> Sitting at the Mac keyboard, I can open System Prefs, Network pane, and
> with a few steps (like clicking on an "Assist me" button),

And then clicking on Diagnostics. (For those who want to follow along
on this discussion.)

> bring up a
> window titled "Network Diagnostics".

> Down the left column of that window, which is headed "Network Status",
> are 6 colored indicators (they look very much like radio buttons, but
> aren't) that can turn green, yellow, or red, and that are labeled from
> top to bottom as "Airport", "Airport Settings", Network Settings",
> "ISP", "Internet", and "Server".
>
> At the minute I have 6 greens, and all is well. When Comcast is down, I
> get 4 greens and the final two are yellow or red. Sure seems to me my
> Mac (or at least my Mac + AEBS combo) is able to tell me, via the final
> two (or three) of those lights something about the status of stuff
> that's physically located miles from my desk.

What it can tell you is that it can't reach those things. What it can't
tell you is where the fault lies. Try this - when all 4 are green,
disconnect the cable to your router. When your router can no longer
connect to the internet, what does your network status tool tell you?

> In any case, I'd like to learn:
>
> 1) Where or what is the "Network Diagnostics" software that creates
> this window labeled "Network Diagnostics"? (Cmd-clicking on its title
> doesn't take me anywhere, and I don't find any app or utility with that
> name on my HD; is it some internal part of the Network prefs panel?)

Here's how to create a shortcut to this tool:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/One-click_Access_to_Network_Diagnostics/

> 2) What do those colored light mean? (esp. the three bottom ones).
>
> 3) Where else can I go for info on this? (besides the Genius Bar at the
> local Apple Store).

There are tons of Mac user forums and many of them have expert people
who can help. Often someone else already had the problem, and their
question (and the answer) is already there, waiting to be found. What I
do is google using this format:

Mac OS X "error message, key phrase, or tool name"

For instance, I found the link above by searching on:

Mac OS X "Network Diagnostics"

There are many more hits that you will probably find useful:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+os+x+"Network+Diagnostics"

Good luck,

jc
First  |  Prev  |