From: AES on
I normally connect to the Internet via a Comcast residential service
with the following physical devices in the chain:

MacBook (10.4.11) --- Airport Extreme base station ====
Comcast-provided modem (a Motorola "Surfboard") +++ (outside world)

where --- is an Airport WiFI link; === is Cat 45 Ethernet cable; and +++
is a Comcast cable coming from the street. We also have Comcast VOIP
service for 4 or 5 telephone lines which I believe connected into the
+++ cable somewhere upstream from the Comcast modem.

All of this work great the majority of the time, but there have been two
service outages during the past month when Internet and phone service
went down for 4 to 8 hours. In the most recent case, the phone came
back up after a few hours, but the Internet connectivity remained out
for several more hours.

The JPEGs at <http://www.stanford.edu/~siegman/Comcast1.jpg>
and <http://www.stanford.edu/~siegman/Comcast2.jpg> show what I see at
different times, using the Network pane in the Mac's System Preferences
as a way of attempting to diagnose whether the outage means something is
wrong in my local settings or hardware, or Comcast is really down.

I'd appreciate any tutoring on what these are telling me -- notably,
what and where is the "ISP" element in this chain, which seems to remain
green all during these outages?

My naive understanding is that ISP means and "Internet Service Provider"
-- presumably, some computer located out in a Comcast building
somewhere. So, are these lights telling me that I'm in fact
communicating OK all the way to this Comcast computer, over the Comcast
cable -- but that this computer is somehow unable to handle my traffic
or link me onward to the Internet itself?

Any educational assistance appreciated.
From: David Kaye on
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

>All of this work great the majority of the time, but there have been two
>service outages during the past month when Internet and phone service
>went down for 4 to 8 hours. In the most recent case, the phone came
>back up after a few hours, but the Internet connectivity remained out
>for several more hours.

About 50% of Internet access troubles can be fixed by unplugging (not turning
off but unplugging) the power from the router, waiting 30 seconds, then
plugging the power back in.

Another 25% of Comcast problems can be fixed by phoning Comcast from the phone
number registered with them for your Comcast service. A few levels down in
voicemail hell is a provision for rebooting the connection from THEIR end.
The voicemail explains it thoroughly.

(I've instinctively called Comcast on my cell phone rather than on the
client's phone, and thus accidentally rebooted my home service instead of my
client's. So, just remember to use the phone number associated with your
Comcast service, even if it's the Comcast bundled phone service.)

From: Barry Margolin on
In article <siegman-9BFF1F.15371317072010(a)sciid-srv02.med.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> I normally connect to the Internet via a Comcast residential service
> with the following physical devices in the chain:
>
> MacBook (10.4.11) --- Airport Extreme base station ====
> Comcast-provided modem (a Motorola "Surfboard") +++ (outside world)
>
> where --- is an Airport WiFI link; === is Cat 45 Ethernet cable; and +++
> is a Comcast cable coming from the street. We also have Comcast VOIP
> service for 4 or 5 telephone lines which I believe connected into the
> +++ cable somewhere upstream from the Comcast modem.
>
> All of this work great the majority of the time, but there have been two
> service outages during the past month when Internet and phone service
> went down for 4 to 8 hours. In the most recent case, the phone came
> back up after a few hours, but the Internet connectivity remained out
> for several more hours.
>
> The JPEGs at <http://www.stanford.edu/~siegman/Comcast1.jpg>
> and <http://www.stanford.edu/~siegman/Comcast2.jpg> show what I see at
> different times, using the Network pane in the Mac's System Preferences
> as a way of attempting to diagnose whether the outage means something is
> wrong in my local settings or hardware, or Comcast is really down.

The Mac can only tell whether its WiFi connection to the AEBS is up.

You can go to 192.168.100.1 to see the status of the modem. If you can
get to this address, then the Mac and AEBS are fine.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: AES on
In article
<barmar-F56611.00213018072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> The Mac can only tell whether its WiFi connection to the AEBS is up.
>
> You can go to 192.168.100.1 to see the status of the modem. If you can
> get to this address, then the Mac and AEBS are fine.

Barry, I don't know what you mean by "The Mac can only tell whether its
WiFi connection to the AEBS is up".

Sitting at the Mac keyboard, I can open System Prefs, Network pane, and
with a few steps (like clicking on an "Assist me" button), bring up a
window titled "Network Diagnostics".

Down the left column of that window, which is headed "Network Status",
are 6 colored indicators (they look very much like radio buttons, but
aren't) that can turn green, yellow, or red, and that are labeled from
top to bottom as "Airport", "Airport Settings", Network Settings",
"ISP", "Internet", and "Server".

At the minute I have 6 greens, and all is well. When Comcast is down, I
get 4 greens and the final two are yellow or red. Sure seems to me my
Mac (or at least my Mac + AEBS combo) is able to tell me, via the final
two (or three) of those lights something about the status of stuff
that's physically located miles from my desk.

In any case, I'd like to learn:

1) Where or what is the "Network Diagnostics" software that creates
this window labeled "Network Diagnostics"? (Cmd-clicking on its title
doesn't take me anywhere, and I don't find any app or utility with that
name on my HD; is it some internal part of the Network prefs panel?)

2) What do those colored light mean? (esp. the three bottom ones).

3) Where else can I go for info on this? (besides the Genius Bar at the
local Apple Store).
From: Steve Fenwick on
In article
<siegman-651FCA.08462618072010(a)bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article
> <barmar-F56611.00213018072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>

> > The Mac can only tell whether its WiFi connection to the AEBS is up.
> >
> > You can go to 192.168.100.1 to see the status of the modem. If you can
> > get to this address, then the Mac and AEBS are fine.
> >

> Barry, I don't know what you mean by "The Mac can only tell whether its
> WiFi connection to the AEBS is up".
>
> Sitting at the Mac keyboard, I can open System Prefs, Network pane, and
> with a few steps (like clicking on an "Assist me" button), bring up a
> window titled "Network Diagnostics".
>
> Down the left column of that window, which is headed "Network Status",
> are 6 colored indicators (they look very much like radio buttons, but
> aren't) that can turn green, yellow, or red, and that are labeled from
> top to bottom as "Airport", "Airport Settings", Network Settings",
> "ISP", "Internet", and "Server".
>
> At the minute I have 6 greens, and all is well. When Comcast is down, I
> get 4 greens and the final two are yellow or red. Sure seems to me my
> Mac (or at least my Mac + AEBS combo) is able to tell me, via the final
> two (or three) of those lights something about the status of stuff
> that's physically located miles from my desk.
>
> In any case, I'd like to learn:
>
> 1) Where or what is the "Network Diagnostics" software that creates
> this window labeled "Network Diagnostics"? (Cmd-clicking on its title
> doesn't take me anywhere, and I don't find any app or utility with that
> name on my HD; is it some internal part of the Network prefs panel?)

/System/Library/CoreServices. See
<http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/One-click_Access_to_Network_Diagn
ostics/> for information on finding it and adding it to your dock.

> 2) What do those colored light mean? (esp. the three bottom ones).
>
> 3) Where else can I go for info on this? (besides the Genius Bar at the
> local Apple Store).

Good question. Have you tried <www.apple.com/support>?

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Mail and IMap
Next: Showing all fonts