From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-09 15:59:06 +0100, Adrian said:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying:
>
>> Am I missing some vital knowledge, or are Apple just being funny
>> buggers?
>
> It's so they can persuade people that paying �200 for a �120 video card
> is a "bit of a snip".

They're not cutting edge video cards, are they?
--
Chris

From: Jim on
On 2010-08-09, Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

>>> Am I missing some vital knowledge, or are Apple just being funny
>>> buggers?
>>
>> It's so they can persuade people that paying �200 for a �120 video card
>> is a "bit of a snip".
>
> They're not cutting edge video cards, are they?

On another note, is it still the case that there are PC and Mac versions
(with different firmware) or is that old hat nowadays?

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-09 16:39:34 +0100, Jim said:

>>> It's so they can persuade people that paying �200 for a �120 video card
>>> is a "bit of a snip".
>>
>> They're not cutting edge video cards, are they?
>
> On another note, is it still the case that there are PC and Mac versions
> (with different firmware) or is that old hat nowadays?

I *think* that's still the case. BIOS vs EFI could be the difference nowadays?

--
Chris

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:39:34 +0100, Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

>>> It's so they can persuade people that paying �200 for a �120 video card
>>> is a "bit of a snip".
>>
>> They're not cutting edge video cards, are they?
>
>On another note, is it still the case that there are PC and Mac versions
>(with different firmware) or is that old hat nowadays?

I keep asking that, but still don't know.

Here - you've got a Pro, why not pop an expected-to-work PC gfx card
in and find out?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I clipped your toenails while you slept.
So I could make them part of my COLLECTION."
From: Jim on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> >On another note, is it still the case that there are PC and Mac versions
> >(with different firmware) or is that old hat nowadays?
>
> I keep asking that, but still don't know.
>
> Here - you've got a Pro, why not pop an expected-to-work PC gfx card
> in and find out?

Um...no. I'm quite fond of my Pro in its current "working without
problems" state :-)

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious