From: SM on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> >> They're not cutting edge video cards, are they?
> >
> >On another note, is it still the case that there are PC and Mac versions
> >(with different firmware) or is that old hat nowadays?
>
> I keep asking that, but still don't know.
>
> Here - you've got a Pro, why not pop an expected-to-work PC gfx card
> in and find out?

I've tried a PC Radeon 4870 in my Pro which works fine in XP but causes
a kernel panic in 10.6

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: SM on
Adrian <toomany2cvs(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying:
>
> > Am I missing some vital knowledge, or are Apple just being funny
> > buggers?
>
> It's so they can persuade people that paying �200 for a �120 video card
> is a "bit of a snip".

That's a fair point but the 'snipness' is only compared to, for example,
�286.00 for the ATI Radeon HD 4870 in the Apple online store.

The reality is that if the if Mac version works (and is supported) it's
probably going to be worth the extra cost compared to trying to get a PC
card going by flashing the firmware etc. There can also be differences
between the ATI card various reseller PC cards such as Sapphire.

Of course, if the standard PC version just worked in any given Mac Pro
that would be ideal.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: James Dore on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:30:23 +0100, Adrian <toomany2cvs(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> info(a)that.sundog.co.uk (SM) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
> saying:
>
>> The cards are in the store too - Radeon HD 5770 at £199 looks to be a
>> bit of a snip
>
> A quick google finds it for £80 cheaper elsewhere...

What, one with firmware that works in a Mac? They're not 'stock' GFX
cards, and need firmware flashes with Apple-specific code.

Cheers,